5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Animation Book Ever!
Published on March 10 2011 by William Kimberley

2.0 out of 5 stars I must've missed the magic
Published on May 23 2004 by Stephen Elliot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Animation Book Ever!, March 10 2011
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
Everybody has written a book. There are How To books on just about everything. Few of these books were authored by two guys that were the best at what they did for over a half a century. Frank and Ollie were two of the best animators ever and they worked with the rest of the best animators ever. These guys didn't invent animation, but they were two of the Nine Old Men that perfected it.

In this book, they show you how they created some of the most memorable moments in movie history. Animation is more than drawing. It is acting, emotion and draftsmanship. It is timing, squash and stretch and follow through. It is story telling. These are some of the principles of animation which are detailed in this book. The Illusion of Life also walks you through the thought behind what makes these principles work to create characters and movies we love and cherish so much.

The book is filled with illustrations, from rough character sketches, pose sheets, layout drawings, background paintings and production stills. One of the best gifts this book has is the animation flipbook. The reader is treated to some amazing line drawing animations, flipping at your fingertips. Stop and examine every drawing and maybe learn the secret of animated movement.

My copy of this book is a mess. It is easily the most tattered ragged book in my library and thusly, the most loved. I've read it cover to cover time and time again. I've used it as reference continually during my career and as just something of interest to read. It's time to buy a new version of The Illusion of Life and retire my old one, it's earned the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS SHOULD BE A REQUIRED TEXT, Nov. 1 2012
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
I am an animation student and have heard amazing reviews. My review is no different. This book is unbelievable. This book sits at my desk and I leaf through it all the time. I read through it as quick as I could and still keep it around for reference. It renewed my excitement in animation and keeps me inspired.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind, truly *the* animation "bible", June 23 2004
Travis Cutbirth "tcutbirth" (Fort Collins, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
poopypants is unbelievably clueless. I first read this book when I was in high school, and it was out of print. The temptation to steal the book was overwhelming! About 8 years ago, it came back into print and I immediately bought it.
If all you're looking for is some hold-my-hand-and-teach-me-how-to-draft-sequential-drawings-book , check out Tony White's book, or Preston Blair's excellent text, or one in the Juvenile section of the library, but if you want to know how to *breathe life into your animation*, this books is a MUST HAVE. Period.
Also check out Richard William's "The Animator's Survival Kit" for a good "sequel" (in a way), and some advanced nuts & bolts stuff.
This is still the single best animation book available, and will be the animation "bible" for years to come. I'm at a loss as to why someone wouldn't be able to glean an amazing amount of wisdom from this book - it confounds me.

2.0 out of 5 stars I must've missed the magic, May 23 2004
Stephen Elliot (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
I realize I'm alone on this one, so I don't think my voice will be heard very well against the crowds saying otherwise, but I didn't find this book to be very useful. I was so excited when I first got it because I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I was unfortunately dissappointed. It's really more of a history and recollection of "the good ol' days" told by two brilliant animators, but, in my honest opinion, it lacked very much the "how to" part of animation. I'm all for learning from the experiences of others, but after reading the book cover to cover I can't say I'll be a better animator for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Génial, Oct. 14 2011
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
Merci beaucoup. Shipping très rapide et objet en état neuf. Je suis satisfaitde cet achat, pas cher.

Je recommande mille fois.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, Nov. 7 2009
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
This book really helps us to understand how Disney have been able to create magic like that. This book if full of useful information, a lot of history on disney as well. I recommend it to every animator, 2d or 3d.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is NOT an illusion,its the real McCoy., May 30 2004
Rothko70 (Newmarket,Auckland,New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
I have yet to read(well...fully..properly..) or for that matter even buy it(this book),but I have seen it in a local bookstore and are dying to get it.It is hellishly expensive,but I have my beady eye on it.
I have flipped through it many times ,and even read a paragraph or two,and I have to say,it is the best book on Disney and/or animation I have ever seen,and it is what I have been looking for ,for a long time.
Strictly speaking it is not a animation handbook,it is not supposed to be,but there is more than enough info on the why's and wherefore's of animation technique and principles to wet the appetite of any animator or lay person,and provide precious insight into the magic of Disney animation.
There is hundreds of photos,diagrams,demos,and stills within the book that will leave any serious animation fan sallivating..and gasping in wonderment....and I haven't even got the book yet..I can't wait to get it..it IS THAT GOOD !!!
This is NOT a book to be overlooked anytime soon.It is a MUST HAVE BOOK!!
Get it soon,get it today,get it NOW!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful insight into Disney animation, Feb. 28 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
A very comprehensive book about the development of Disney animation. Hundreds of drawings that show how individual characters were developed, what makes characters appealing, what worked and what didn't, how the animators came up with ideas, how to draw sequences -- this book covers every aspect of animation. It's more than a history of the Disney company, it shows how the individual departments (animators, inkers, stylists, storymen, sound studio, etc) worked together to create a 80-minute film that is made up of 460,000 finished cels, 2.5 million total drawings (including sketches), and takes an average of 3 and a half years to make. Examples come from all Disney films, such as Cinderella, Peter Pan, Jungle Book, etc. and show drawings, sketches, paintings, the animators who created the characters and pretty much everything one wants to know about animation. It is a wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars LA BIBLE de l'animateur, Jan. 23 2004
libellul (Rougemont, Québec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
à avoir absolument dans sa collection! on y retourne toujours, une mine de reseignements...par de grands maîtres.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever!, Jan. 9 2004
P. Walters "pfwgrendel" (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation (Hardcover)
This is a GREAT book. If you are interested in the history of animation and/or the principles of animation this book is a must. Go and buy it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb058484c)

The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation by Ollie Johnston (Hardcover - Oct. 19 1995)
CDN$ 66.00 CDN$ 41.38