4.0 out of 5 stars Memoirs from the most talented of the original cast
Published on Dec 27 2003 by Charles Ashbacher

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't trust them anymore
I buy one of compagny books and it's not what they said . I received in time , but some one wrote inside the book and they never told AMAZON . I write them , to said some one wrote inside the book and they never want resolved the problem . I don't buy on this compagny anymore . The book a buy cost a lot for what a expected .
Published on Feb. 9 2012 by Liane Loyer

4.0 out of 5 stars Memoirs from the most talented of the original cast, Dec 27 2003
This review is from: I Am Spock (Mass Market Paperback)
As an original Trekkie, I am always looking for additional information about the Star Trek phenomena. I am interested in more than just the shows themselves, I have an additional interest in the lives and careers of those who played the major characters. In this book, Leonard Nimoy not only discusses his role in Star Trek, but also other aspects of his professional life. Of all the major characters, he is the only one who developed a significant career in film outside of Star Trek. Yes, I am aware that William Shatner starred in a television series, but that was short-lived. Nimoy has been very active as a writer/director, being involved in the development of some very good movies.
There is very little information about Nimoy's personal life outside his career in the book. The bulk of the discussion concerns his role in the original Star Trek series, subsequent Star Trek feature films and some of his experiences behind the camera as a director. All information that I have encountered bolsters the thesis that Nimoy puts forward in the book, that he is very highly regarded as a director by the remainder of the Star Trek original cast. He also is very positive about William Shatner, and it is clear that he and Shatner are friends, despite some creative differences in the past.
Nimoy also raises a point about Shatner and Star Trek that should be taken seriously. Shatner has often been criticized for overacting in the series, Nimoy notes that it probably could not have been any other way. Jeffrey Hunter, the original captain, was more introspective, and was not well received by all test audiences. At that point in entertainment history, dynamic heroes were a necessity in all action venues.
Leonard Nimoy is a very literate man who tells a different side of the Star Trek phenomena. There is no scandal, no personal pique, just a statement of what happened and how much he enjoys having been a part of an ongoing entertainment phenomena.

4.0 out of 5 stars He does get critical of the current Trek film makers, Feb. 25 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: I Am Spock (Hardcover)
Towards the end of the book, Leonard does get a bit critical of Mr. Berman and the current makers of the Trek shows and films, saying outright that they are sacrifising character and story development for more cheaper film productions and taking the fan base for granted. This is true, despite the fact that many people still like Star Trek, most do not care for the current direction that Gene Roddenberry's series has gone. And the current management at Paramount seem clueless as to how to make needed changes to win the fans back. It might not happen for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars He is Spock, Feb. 21 2004
This review is from: I Am Spock (Hardcover)
Once agian a must book for any serious star trek fan's library. This book is funny with plently of inside jokes and interesting information. I very much enjoyed it and I feel kind of stupid because I had this book on my self for 5 years before I read it.
I'll say this for Nimoy if he is as big an egotist as William Shatner he sure doesn't write like it. While it might not have the scope of Shatner's books, I don't know it just seems more human.
Overall-A must for any Star Trek fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Guy With the Ears" writes a fun, touching memoir, June 17 2009
This review is from: I Am Spock (Hardcover)
Mr. Nimoy's lighthearted approach to this autobiography makes it, not only a necessary read for real Trek fans, but simply a pleasure. Nimoy's life is outlined with emphasis on his work with Star Trek, but also a good portion devoted to his career as a stage actor and director. His relationship with his creation, the beloved Spock, is complex and rich- and he invites us into his internal monologue by recreating conversations he has with his logical other-half. The first part of the book gives a fascinating insider's look at the production of Star Trek, including humorous anecdotes and reflections. Mr. Nimoy's love and commitment to the series are infectious, and one cannot help but be caught up with the sweet and appreciative nature with which Nimoy reflects on his time there. The book also touches on some of Mr. Nimoy's more personal tragedies, like the death of his father, or less traumatically, the time he lost with his children as an on-the-road thespian. The second portion devotes a small chapter to each of TOS' films, and the influence that Mr. Nimoy has had on what we now perceive to be Trek. And that influence is enormous. This is the story of Mr. Nimoy's life, told in a captivating and poignant way, yet, the amount of insight Mr. Nimoy can provide on topics ranging from Anti-Semitism to environmentalism, from drama to Mr. Shatner stealing his bicycle is astounding. I could not put it down till I was done!

4.0 out of 5 stars An important part of a puzzle, June 21 2003
Rann "Rann" (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Spock (Hardcover)
A puzzle that must inevitably contain William Shatners "Memories" books, as well. Reading both accounts, one can begin to see at least a good portion of the whole.
Nimoy's accounting is a good one, but definitely a very personal one. It is all from his own perspective, and this is solidified with rare use of others' quotations, and his rather delightful internal dialogues with the character of Spock. It tells not only of his time working on Star Trek's various projects, but his other loves, such as the theater, photography, and his career as a director.
Nimoy also seems to pull his punches more often than not. There is more than a little industry back-patting and mild shmoozing contained therein. Though he outlines a few of the problems he had with Gene Roddenberry and goes so far as to say "our personal relationship had deteriorated", he always falls short of actually condemning the man for his behavior on any matter, even some rather stressful, deceitful, and just plain cruel things he did.
But even though I'm a Star Trek fan, I was just as fascinated with the other parts of this work that don't really have that much to do with Star Trek... even if they're ABOUT Star Trek. More than being about Star Trek, this is also about the games that studios and those in the industry play. (Such as Nimoy and Shatner's own salary negotiation ruse.)
I have also found that some of what is laid out here can be used as invaluable tools for writing. Some of the concepts Nimoy lays out lead to thought and, though on the surface the application to writing isn't always obvious, I'd definitely suggest this as a multiple-read for any aspiring author.
This work also contains an important insight to other accounts released by connected actors such as Nichelle Nichols. She and Walter Koenig, among other Original Series castmembers, have cast rather damning disparagements towards William Shatner. However, the Shatner portrayed here is no slobbering ogre or spotlight thief, but what seems to be a very realistic showing of who he is... not without flaw, but certainly not a bad person. At one point, Nimoy notes that when his (Nimoy's) father died, Shatner attended the funeral, which touched Nimoy greatly. There is no mention of Nichols, Koenig, Doohan, or any of the others who have called Shatner selfish and arrogant attending this funeral, or aiding Nimoy in any other significant way. (There is mention of Nichols at one point being found late at night in Roddenberry's office wearing nothing but a sweatshirt, but Nimoy tries to allow the reader to assume that this might have simply been a prank.)
In all, this book isn't wholly about Star Trek, but rather about the effects of Star Trek on Nimoy's life, and it's a very, very worthwhile read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Nov. 29 2003
Alana U. Belcon "urnesha" (Durham, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Spock (Hardcover)
So this is not an autobiography for the person who wants the details of Nimoy's childhood or family life, he focuses almost exclusively on his work. That said, this is a witty, well written work that keeps you chuckling while revealing alot of his character. The conversations between Nimoy and Spock by themselves make it worth the buy. A must for any Star Trek fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't trust them anymore, Feb. 9 2012

I Am Spock
I Am Spock by Leonard Nimoy (Hardcover - Oct. 26 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.68