5.0 out of 5 stars Specific yet flexible topics...would get anyone's pen going!
Published on April 11 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars In Desperate Need of an Update
Advantages: This autobiographic journal is affordable and omits uncouth, private questions that have dissuaded me from purchasing other journals. For example, one's sex life is not addressed in this book, but is included in another life journal, "All About Me." "The Book of Myself" makes a great gift for grandparents, parents, & older relatives or friends...
Published on Nov. 30 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars In Desperate Need of an Update, Nov. 30 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Book of Myself: A Do-It Yourself Autobiography in 20 Questions (Hardcover)
Disadvantages: Tailored more for older folks. For instance, the book solicits responses to "my memories of World War II, "inquires how Pearl Harbor shaped a person's life, your whereabouts during JFK's assassination & the 1st moon landing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its size is a problem, Jan. 17 2000
By A Customer
I bought this book for my grandmother after carefully reviewing several other autobiographical writing aides. I have to admit I was disappointed when I received the book. The questions are good, but the book itself is very small. If I'd noticed the dimensions of the book that are listed near its photo, I might not have purchased it. Each of the 201 questions gets one side of one page for answering, and the pages are roughly 5x8". It is almost impossible to imagine that the kind of rich, detail-laden anecdotes we hope for (and that we want to pass on for generations) when we give this as a gift could fit in the space provided. Though not ideal, I ended up buying a small notebook for my grandmother, along with the book, that she can continue her answers in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Specific yet flexible topics...would get anyone's pen going!, April 11 2003
By A Customer
I never could have written so much about my life without his journaling book. The prompts give just the right amount of direction, while still being flexible for different kinds and ages of people. It pulled out lots of memories: what I liked doing after school as a kid, what my parents' politics were, special friendships and mentors, movies and music at different times in my life, my first car, pet stories. And it made me think: what I am proud of doing, what I regret not exploring, wishes, traits I hope to be remembered for. These are just examples, the book covers a lot of ground. I promise you will find lots that will get your pen going! It's fun to do and satisfying to have it all down now.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good start..., July 18 2001
L Barnes (Tulsa, OK USA) - See all my reviews
I would disagree with the comment about this book being a waste of money. The book definately has a baby boomer slant to it-- if you're younger, entries such as "I remember where I was when man first walked on the moon" may be difficult for you to elaborate on (I was born a few months after that event...). My intention is to give copies to my parents and remaining grandparents. Someone commented that there was no place to write in the biographer's name so definately do that yourself. I would also recommend reading through the whole book (10 minutes?) before giving as a gift in case you want to change some of the questions or ask for other details.

5.0 out of 5 stars Create A Family Treasure, June 23 2004
V. Marshall (North Fork, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I originally purchased this book for myself but found its true value as a family heirloom.
This book is a guided journal for writing an autobiography of your life. It contains 201 questions that are thought provoking and valuable. There are three life sections: Early Years, Middle Years and Later Years so that the journal can be written at any point in your life. Each section contains questions about family, friends, education, work/responsibilities and the world.
Once this book is completed it becomes invaluable. Grandparents can share life lessons, parents can preserve memories, children can start journaling and lovers can share secrets. It becomes a true treasure for the family of someone terminally ill or of someone suffering from memory loss, families can write life stories together and the ill can review a wonderful life. Create your own masterpiece to span the centuries and allow your life to matter long after you are gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is monumental...it's a novel waiting to happen!, March 14 1999
By A Customer
I gave this book to my grandmother with a note that said "I bought this book for you because I want the generations of our bloodline to come to know that you were a wonderful, generous woman, who knew how to live life to it's fullest." She loved both the book and the note so much she cried! She also went out and bought a few more to give to aother family members as gifts. She wrote in it and gave it to me, and I drank up every word she wrote. I learned about her trials and tribulations, I learned about family members I never had the pleasure of knowing...but got to know well throughout this book. It gave me an idea about where I came from, and I even noticed some similarities in personality and interests with my grandmother. This is a wonderful book for any occasion. Definitly 2 thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, April 29 2000
I gave this book to my mother and grandmother, and that has proven to be one of the best things I ever could have done. This book has questions in it like, "One of my most memorable toys was . . ." and "These people were my best friends in my middle years. . ." The book has specific questions for three different periods in life, and all of the questions are revealing. Not only have I learned a lot about my mother and grandmother, but they have learned about themselves. This book makes a thoughtful gift, and I plan to buy several more for Christmas presents. My only complaint about the book is its writing spaces. The lines are too wide, leaving little room to write in detail. Still, I've not found another book of equal quality or depth. A gem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Examining Your Life, Dec 14 1999
By A Customer
I recently received this book as a sweet 16 birthday present. At first I thought it would just be a fun thing to do when I had some spare time. But now I realize, as I've started writing in the "Early Years" section, that this book will serve as the tale of my life -- something I can look back on when I'm older and my children can read with interest. It is not necessary to answer all the questions and you can work as quickly or slowly as you like. I only wish that my parents had written in one of these. Someday when I am in my eighties or so, I hope that I am still writing in it, and still remembering what it was like to be 16 again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passing Family Histories -- Great for Non-Writers, Aug. 29 1998
By A Customer
As a genealogist, I love to have anything that will help be gain information (other than dates and locations) so they can be passed down through the generations in this age of 'remote grandparents'. This book provides a non-threatening, thought-provoking way for older adults who are reluctant to talk about their past or just 'can't think of anything to say' when you have a tape machine running. This book allows them to write their thoughts in seclusion -- like a diary.
I only wish it would have allowed for the person to write their name and personal data in the front. Their are blank pages, so it can be added.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for adoption cases, March 6 2002
By A Customer
I have a daughter who I gave up for adoption, and I communicate with her and her family through written correspondence. I had been pondering how to tell her about myself and my life. This book was PERFECT for doing just that. The questions are interesting and introspective. My only complaint would be that the lines are spaced out too much so there's not enough room to write some lengthier stories. But, all in all a very nice book for a gift... either to tell someone about your own life or as a gift to somebody else to learn about theirs. (I'm planning on buying a second book to give to my parents.)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Book of Myself: A Do-It Yourself Autobiography in 20 Questions
Book of Myself: A Do-It Yourself Autobiography in 20 Questions by Carl Marshall (Hardcover - Jan. 2 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01