Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: HardcoverChange

on December 4, 2009
Mitch Albom does it again!!! I've read all of Mitch's books and have garnered insight into my own faith as well as others. Mitch has shown that every human being has a story, many of which relate to faith, be it what it is. This book is a reflection of not only faith but trust, in our one God. It reinforces our belief that at the end of the day, if we surrender to God's will, all will be okay. In our daily lives, there are challenges to each and every one of us..this is the story of only two such people, whose lives will enrich yours, and allow you to believe, and trust, in our one God. If you are on 'a faith sabbitical' this book will lead you it did Mitch. Having experience the loss of my husband quite suddenly in his 40's a year ago, I questioned my faith. I don't anymore.I find the blessings that he's left me....much the same as Mitch has found at the end of this book. Thanks for sharing the stories of these remarkable people Mitch. This book is a true blessing.
on March 3, 2010
Title: Have A Little Faith
Author: Mitch Albom
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 249
Source: Personal Copy

'Have a Little Faith' was a heart-warming read. Mitch Albom writes an incredible story of an aging Rabi, and an African American pastor man who was addicted to drugs but managed to turn his life around. In the middle we have Mitch himself, learning, observing and growing. The book beginning with one question 'Will you do my Eulogy?' Mitch is concerned, confused and a little turned off from that morbid question. He believes that he is not the right man for the job, and why would his Rabi decide to ask him? Mitch does not decide right away to plan his eulogy, he agrees to meet with his Rabi for a few weeks and get to know him on a personal level. A few weeks, turned into a few years. Does he write the eulogy? Yes. Does this book turn out to be more about the Eulogy? Yes. Mitch recounts his own struggles with religion. He profiles his Rabi, and a convict turned pastor. Each has their own story and their own inspirational tales. One thing is clear in this story, it does not matter which religion you come from. Each should respect and love one another. One quote I loved was 'May your god, and our god bless you.'

I agree, I think there is comfort in religion. I felt that this book helped me with my own faith. Religions all have one thing in common: faith. Hope is what we need when our world is confusing. Faith supports and sustains many of us. While reading this book I was mesmerized. I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend this one, especially for someone who is struggling with their faith.

Here are some wonderful quotes from the book.

' It is far more comforting to think God listened and said No, than to think that nobody's out there.' P. 82

'When you lose someone you love, you can curse God. You can yell. You can blame him. You can demand to know why. But I don't believe in God. I'm a doctor! and I couldn't help my bother.' P 82.

Part of the reason I drifted from my faith was that I didn't want to feel defensive about it. A pathetic reason, looking back, but true.' P. 157

The Reb once did a sermon on how the same things in life can be good or evil depending on what, with free will, we do with them. Speech can bless or curse. Money can save or destroy. Science can heal or kill. Even nature can work for you or against you: fire can warm or burn, water can sustain life or flood it away.' P. 198
on April 21, 2010
I generally like Mitch Albom's books so I wanted to give this a read. As a lot of books do, given the time constraints of reality, this one languished on my To-Read list. I ended up finding a copy on a somewhat lazy weekend recently and ended up finishing it within 24 hours and am really glad to have done so.

The story captivated me. While I was expecting to look for some sort of message in the book, I ended up enjoying it for the simple pleasure of "hearing" a story. I liked the way the author revealed little bits about his chief protagonists here and there. I usually don't really like that type of storytelling but it really worked well for me here. I found myself engaged and curious about what was going to happen next.

I liked the fact that the author really seemed to put himself out there and recognize his own human quirks and biases. This didn't feel like Mr. Albom preaching to us readers but rather a glimpse into part of his life wherein he seems to have learned a little about himself and the people around him. I guess that's why I ended the story so much; I identify fairly well with the author. I also liked the fact that unlike some mysteries or dramas I didn't find myself guessing at what happened next; I really just enjoyed finding out in due time.

And yes I did get a simple message from the book. Essentially it was that good people do exist regardless of faith and that prejudgements are tough to overcome. But the message, in my opinion, was less important than the simple journey.
on September 25, 2015
A few years ago I watched the made for television movie based on this book. It wasn’t something I would normally watch but I did and was really touched by the story. This may have been what sparked my interest in inspirational stories. I’m only sorry that it took me so long to pick up a book by Mitch Albom as he has been on my TBR list for several years now.

Albert Lewis was a great speaker that captivated his congregation for decades and it would have been an honor to have known him. The addition of sermons the Reb gave throughout his career really helped to give a better understanding of the man and his faith. It was easy to picture a big tall man in front of his congregation speaking those words.

Henry Covington, on the other hand had quite a different journey to faith. It was amazing to read of a man who had been through so much could turn his life around and dedicate his time in such a touching way.

Several times I found myself re-reading sentences and paragraphs that caught my eye. Things that I thought were beautifully written, thought provoking or relatable to my own life. Its books like these that are worth high ratings, in my opinion.

Although a short book, it is a quick read that is chalk full of life lessons. However I think that it is best read slowly so that the reader can savour the story and in turn get the most from it.
on March 10, 2014
I purchased "Have a Little Faith" by Mitch Albom, after receiving a recommendation to read this book.This was such an uplifting novel that I couldn't put down.Such an emotional rollercoaster.I felt so good after reading this novel."Have a little Faith" is a true story nonfiction book that can open your eyes and heart, and allow you to realize how precious life is.It is about believing in something and the two men who taught him how.

The novel centers around three people: Mitch, a Jewish man who inter married who no longer had time for religion, and Albert (Reb), a Jewish rabbi, and Henry, a pastor of "I am my Brother's Keeper Ministry", an intercity church. The Reb was Mitch's rabbi growing up. Both men play a very important part in Mitch's life.

Albert in the spring of 2000 was eighty two and had made a strange request of Mitch. "Will you do my eulogy?." Mitch had agreed to honor his request but wanted to get to know him better. And there starts the journey...

I am very proud to have had the honor of reading this book. Everybody should read this book...and they will never be the same.
on April 30, 2011
This is an other book by Mitch Albom that touched me deeply, and I hope every member of my family and friends will read it.The conversations between the aouthor and the rabbi are very heartworming and educational. With patience, kindness and humor the rabbi suggests goodness in every person regardless of religion, race and color.To me the message was, kindness, understanding, patience, and most of all LOVE and respect for all human beings and all of God's creations. I was unable to put this book down, had to read it from the first page to the last without stopping.Thank you Mitch Album for sharing you experiences with your rabbi, you must miss him terribly.
on February 24, 2014
I have so enjoyed this story. Reminders of things in life I forgot lessons learnt and re learnt. A man who makes me want to stand up and shout to the world, have hope, love one another, never let anything get in the way of your faith, but be gentle, kind, loving and allow others to have their faith As we are all of one family, the family of a God. Sing sing sing fill your heart with joy and be happy in this life. God is alive and miracles do happen. Life lessons to live by, this is a story you will be happy and touched that you read.
on February 13, 2014
I loved his previous books and this was great as well.
Down to earth and keeps you turning pages.
Particularly liked the conversations among/about different Faiths.
on July 25, 2014
A book that puts life and death into a whole new perspective for me! I learned life lessons that were unique, and the fact that the Jewish Faith has a lot for us to learn, as do other Faiths. I have highly recommended it for my Brother in law, who Himself is a Minister, and struggling with Cancer. I feel this will help him in his battle. Thank-you Mitch for your writings! I have enjoyed each and every one of them!
on April 23, 2013
An excellent book. It demonstrates how people of completely backgrounds can do such much good.It encourages us all to reach out to those less fortunate than ourselves and to live our lives that we set an example for others. Amazing things can be accomplished when we have a Little Faith. Mitch Albom is an excellent storyteller and bares his soul in this book. I have recommended it to all my friends.!!!