Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

on December 1, 2014
Richard A knaak always manages to impress me. Even though this specific book was quite far from the main serie, it is quite interesting and entertaining
on June 20, 2001
This is a great book for anyone to read. You follow tyros serene rapp(the kender of course) Captain bakal valkyn and General cadrio not to mention the dragons and flying citadels. I think this was a great book to read because of the the action and fightning and spells. I liked how the gargoyles got to be set free will they're leader was killed to save the favorite character was rapp the kender because he was so fun and playful and took care of griffons that he found.
on May 2, 2001
I've only read about 10 or 15 DL books but of the ones I've read, this book is one of my favorites. I like the use of Gargoyles, since none of the others I've read included these odd creatures. This was the first book I read including gold and silver dragons. I chose this book because it has dragons on the cover and it had a captivating summary on the back. I also like wizards and magic. I just didn't like how three of the four godd dragons died only halfway into the story. All in all I would recommend this book to anyone liking the DragonLance series.
on November 22, 2000
Richard A. Knaak is my favorite author, so I wasted no time in getting a copy of this book (also signed by Mr. Knaak himself). Knaak once again makes use of gargoyles (which he previously used in the books Ruby Flames and Frostwing), a creature that normally isn't seen or mentioned much in the Dragonlance world, so kudos to Mr. Knaak for adding some creativity and change to the DL world. The story in itself is quite decent, and even when it seems like the book is coming to a close, Knaak manages to stretch the story out another 50 or 100 pages. The low points of the book are the characters. The main bad guy, Valkyn is a typical 'Bwa-ha-ha-ha I'm going to conquer the world' villian, and the two high ranking officers Bakal and Cadrio don't differ too much in personalities even though one is supposed to be good and the other evil. However, Knaak does experiment some with the main character Tyros by working with an arrogant character, whereas many of Knaak's other characters in past books were either somewhat out of their heads/minds (i.e. the Dutchman, Shade), or fairly level headed (Cabe Bedlam). One thing I missed was much of the inner contemplation that many of his other characters had, but this book didn't contain nearly as much of this critique.
All and all, this book was worth my time and money, and is probably better than most of the other Dragonlance books out there. For fans of Dragonlance and Knaak's writing, this would be a good choice. However for someone just getting into fantasy or Knaak's writing, picking up a copy of The Legend of Huma would be a better bet for now (then one can pick up The Citadel later).
on November 12, 2000
I am an avid Dragonlance reader for many years and have always included Knaak in my best authors list since the "Legend of Huma." His new book is a fun read that is anything but clesche. What always made Knaak different than other Dragonlance authors is that he uses different aspects of fantasy. The gargoyles are a creature never before used in Dragonlance. Any other author would simply have had draconians. But Knaak strives to make his novels interesting and not just another Dragonlance quest. I gave it four stars because I thought the characters could have been better. Captain Bakal is really nothing special and the villain Cadrio isn't very impressive. But with gargoyles, griffons, and a monstrous flying citadel; this book includes a stirring story full of action and excitement. Not Knaak's best, but certainly a good read not to miss.
on October 27, 2000
I am a Dragonlance fan, and I've read most of the books. Although English was not my favorite subject, I always scored high on English Comprehension Exams. What does that have to do with Mr. Knaak's novel? Everything. I found myself in agony reading just the first two chapters. Too many sentances seemed to have been thrown together on a whim. It baffles me how this got past the editors prior to being published.
on September 30, 2000
I did feel that the book was lacking something that other Dragonlance novels have, but I can't say quite what it is. The story was really good, but I would have liked to see more character development. I liked the variety of people, spells, and creatures as well. I feel that's something few other D&D novels make use of. This would be an interesting group of adventurers to read more about. I also like how the story fits into the post War of the Lance setting. All in all, a good read and a worthy book to pick up.
on September 3, 2000
This was a painful book to read. I'm not saying that it was bad, it was just painful for me to read. Why? Well it was such a 'normal' and unoriginal story that it hurt me. Here are the main characters: An old Guy that's good with a sword, a arrogant Red Robed Mage, a Kender with something special and strange that the others will need, and a cleric that is searching for a lost love that has more or less turned three sixty on her. And the bad guys are none other than an evil magic user with some nice toys and a dragon army general that wants to rule Krynn. Throw in some gold and black dragons and a magical item that is way more powerful than its former and what do you have? A very common and simple fantasy story.
But I'm not saying it was a bad book, I'm just saying it was simple. Within the story the characters, while cliché, are realistic and believable. I wouldn't say you develop a deep care for them as the story goes along, but I will say that you feel for them sometimes. There are also some good fight scenes with everything from dragons, to gargoyles, to normal old soldiers. And last, this book was also good solid writing by Richard A. Knaak, as I've come to expect from him.
The Final Thought: If you are a major DL fanatic then you will want to read this book. If you aren't then it's a good read when you don't have anything else laying around.
on August 28, 2000
I thought this book was GREAT!! It recaptured the essence of dragonlance and brought to mind the original magic of the firt 6 books. Images of battles, dragons, flying citadels and wonderous magic filled my head throughout the whole book which I finished in 3 days. The characters that were introduced were both interesting and realistic. They actually made the reader care whether or not they lived or died, which in fantasy novels sometimes is hard to do since many of the characters are the same from book to book. I recommend this to anyone new to the Dragonlance genre. It was fantastic!
on August 6, 2000
I just recently (relatively speaking) started playing the AD&D game (last year) and I enjoyed it emensly. This book, the citadel, is my first emersion into the fantasy litature of the AD&D game. The book is set in the DragonLance campaign setting, and features many of the wonders only DragonLance has to offer. I just hope all the fantasy books are as good as this one!