5.0 out of 5 stars An uncharacteristically good second book
Published on Feb. 26 2002 by Eric Savage

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it!
War of the Twins was just as dissapointing as Time of the Twins. It was depressing and lacked everything that made the Chronicles trilogy such a sensational bestseller. The only good part was when Raistlin burnt the village. The only reason worth reading this for is so that you can understand everything that happens in Test of the Twins (the only good book in the...
Published on June 7 1996

4.0 out of 5 stars Whoops! Weis and Hickman forgot a chapter!, Jan. 9 2004
T. Harris (Chillicothe, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: War of the Twins: Dragonlance Legends, Volume II (Mass Market Paperback)
War of the twins, second book of the legends trilogy finds Raistlin, Caramon and Crysania in a even tighter spot than that of the first book. Caramon, no longer wanting to kill Raistlin and Crysania falling for Raistlin, it's looking pretty good, for, Raistlin. So you think. Some problems arise, so Raistlin, Caramon, and Crysania head out to fix the problems. On their way Caramon becomes a general of this giant army and there's this huge build up for this one giant battle. Every chapter leads up to this one battle, so I'm reading as fast as I could to 'see' what happens and I can't wait. Then I finish one of the chapters and figure there has to be at least one or two chapters before the battle, so I decide to read some more. The next chapter, the battle is over! Hickman and Weis don't every describe the battle, except the very end. I know the legends trilogy is not a hack and slash series, but if your going to build something up that much and flake out at the end, why bother even building it up? I was pissed at this and I would have given this 2 stars, but the ending of the book was extremly awesome. good character development and emotion, well written too, had me on the edge of my seat. If they describe the battle this would have been a five star book forsure.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Turning Point, Dec 18 2002
Kellyannl (Bronx, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Continuing where "Time of the Twins" left off, this entry in the Dragonlance Legends trilogy furthers Raistlin's plot to overthrow the Queen of Darkness.
As it begins, after quickly dispensing with the formality of lying through his teeth about what really happened to Tas in Istar and completely winning over Caramon and Crysania, Raistlin coldly proceeds with his manipulative scheming even as he starts to show traces of the man he once was. Events finally force him to take what seems to be the road of no return as Caramon finally comes to terms with what his twin really is.
This entry includes some of the most touching dialogue in the series between the twins and explains more deeply why Raistlin is what he is. Caramon, facing an almost surgical separation from his twin as more things come to light, finally comes into his own.
Due to plot reasons, we don't see much of Tas for awhile outside of an interlude revealing what has happened to him after "Time"'s cliffhanger. One of the series' major forces of kindness and compassion, his own nature hasn't allowed him to associate Raistlin with the face of evil. Combined with his unintentionally dangerous trump card ability to alter time, this makes him frighteningly vulnerable - and when he rejoins the correct time frame, unfortunately running into Raistlin first, the meeting between the two results in what might be the most psychologically disturbing and horrific two chapters in the whole Dragonlance saga. When faced with the depths to which Raistlin is willing to go, even his most admiring fans will be forced to wonder if he is indeed worth saving at all - a question that will dominate "Test of the Twins".

5.0 out of 5 stars An uncharacteristically good second book, Feb. 26 2002
Eric Savage (Wellesley, MA United States) - See all my reviews
So hopefully you've read the first one (and my review of it) and now you are probably deciding if its worth continuing with the second. I can say without reservation that it is. Where the first one was shallow and drawn out, with little in the way of exploring the world, the second book leaps ahead on all fronts. We start seeing the main characters interact, we journey with them in new territory against new enemies, and we even have the action the first book was lacking.
The premise of this book is Raistlin's struggle against the indomitable flow of time. For the first time, we start to see his true form emerge as he sheds the last remnants of the old Raist. We are led through various environments, watch a war develop that isn't as clear cut as the War of the Lance (from Chronicles) was, and overall find ourselves at the end with little doubt that we want to read the third. I could tell by my wish to stay up a little later and read "just one more chapter" that this was a good book, and wasted no time jumping to the third. By itself I'd give it 4.5 stars, but I'll round that up since it was so much better than the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raistlin's ambition and Caramon's love, Feb. 8 2002
D. Pachal (WA) - See all my reviews
War of Twins, the second installment to the legends trilogy, sheds more light on the twins that should make any dragonlance reader covet this book. We see Raistlin and Caramon in a light that we have never seen before. They must face trials that they have never thought possible, and their love for each other will be stretched to the limits.
The character of Caramon is one of the majore players in this book. He must lead Raistlin's army, as they head for skullcap, in search of the portal leading to the abyss. But Caramon has changed since his subservient ways in the chronicles trilogy. He isnt as dumb as people make him out to be, he just needs time to think things through, and when he does, not even his brother can pursuade him. Does Caramon do what his brother says, following his loves, or does he defy him, doing what is in his heart?
Raistlin is aslo battling in this book. Not against draconians, or dragons...but against love. He has fallen in love with the beautiful dark haired woman, but he can't let his feelings show. For Raistlin, there is magic and no other love. But as his feelings get clouded, strange things happen.
Tasslehoff isnt in this book as much as the previous ones, but when he is, he fills this serious book with just the right amount of humor. When i say serious, i mean it, this book is definately is written to make you see the pains and struggles of the twins, the whole trilogy shows you just what a hard life they have, and just what Caramon and Raistlin are willing to sacrifice to get what they desire.
This book, along with the rest in the series are a must read. If you want to know more about the twins, including their ambitions, and pains, read this book. It definately shines a new light on the life of the popular twins.

5.0 out of 5 stars I haven't given lower than 5 stars to Weis/Hickman, May 4 2001
I've read six Dragonlance books, all by Weis/Hickman, and after each I say 'it cant get much better' but, it always does. Time of the Twins was more emotional in the beginning, and a lot of action at the end. This one has the action and emotion spread over all of it. Test of the Twins looks to be even better, but, these books make me sad in some parts, you DL fans know what I mean. I'm going to wait a day, and start reading Test of the Twins again, and then I will give a review about that.
Your probably wandering when i'm going to say something philosophical, and make the book seem as something you should read to prolong your vast and great intelligence...Well, not to wear out this old saying 'reading is fundamental' But other than that, it is just so fun an exciting to read, and very funny in some parts. If you would like something that would make you think, wow, the government is ruining the country, read; "Animal Farm" by George Orwell, or "Out of the Silent Planet" by C. S. Lewis, good books, makes you think.
Happy...uh reading, I guess, and I hope you enjoy the wonderful world of Krynn, or wherever the book you are reading takes you.
Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars A deeper look at Caramon and Raistlin., Dec 14 2000
Christopher Ware (Fremont, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book continues the character development of Caramon and Raistlin that the authors started in TIME OF THE TWINS. This book digs even deeper into their personalities and their relationship with each other. We see Caramon coming to terms with who his brother really is and what he represents. We see him wrestling with his love for his brother and his sense of what is right. In Raistlin, Weis and Hickman pull the reader in different directions, never letting them know if Raistlin is pure evil or if there is actually some good in him. This is where they excel...they provide the reader with vivid characters that have multiple dimensions to their personality.
Like the first book, there isn't a deluge of action. It is the characters that drive this story. Their joys, their pains, their worries are all what give the book it's feeling and it's purpose. The action is simply a backdrop against which the author's develop these two characters.
One thing I missed in this book was Tasslehoff. He didn't play much of a part until the end. After seeing so much of him in the first book, his absence was definitely noticeable.
All in all, this is a very good book to read if you're a fan of Dragonlance. If you have yet to read any of the books set in this world, then I suggest you go and read the CHRONICLES first. You'll have a greater appreciation for this series if you do.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Have Gotten This Far, You MUST Continue, Sept. 6 2000
David Rudel (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
It is simple. Either you have read the earlier books and liked them enough to continue, or you haven't read them yet.
If you have read all the earlier ones (including the first book of the series), then I highly recommend this book and the final, concluding, work. The story is quite good and the rest of the dragonlance stories (Summer Flame) hinge on what happens in "Legends."
If you have not read the first "Legends" book, but you have read the "Chronicles," then I recommend reading the first book in this series "Time of the Twins" unless you absolutely had no interest in Raistlin (in which case I wonder if you breath oxygen).
If you have not read _any_ dragonlance books, then the question of whether you should start is a bit of a more complex one. The truth is that the writing is not that great (especially those parts dominated by Tracy Hickman). The charactes are simple and do some pretty stupid things. However, the actual story is excellent, and for many people that is enough. I have read the entire saga twice and can appreciate the interesting story while only cringing a bit at the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids!, May 25 1998
By A Customer
I was first introduced to Dragonlance when I was 10 years old. I am now 22 years old and almost finished with college. I have read many different kinds of books in those 12 years, but I always find myself returning to the world of Krynn. My perceptions of the books and the characters have changed many times throughout the years, but my love of the world and the authors' style has not. When I first read this book as a 5th grader, I thought it was ok, but not one of my favorites, even though Raistlin came to be the most interesting, intriguing character I have ever encountered to this date. One of Weis and Hickman's greatest traits is their ability to make you truly identify and sympathize with the characters, an ability that is utilized fully in this trilogy. Another trait I have always admired is their ability to make their "evil" characters complex. Raistlin is evil, but yet you aren't made to completely hate him. Instead, they want you to understand both him and his motives. As a kid, I preferred the Chronicles trilogy. I believe that one of the reasons is because it had a lot of action and dialogue. It was fast-paced and clear-cur. These are our heroes, those are the bad guys, this is what the heroes need to do to defeat the darkness. The Legends series, on the other hand, is different. There are fewer characters, so greater focus can be upon those characters. This trilogy wasn't meant to be Chronicles Part II. This is a lot more dramatic, complex series, that requires a lot more thought to read. I now believe that I can say that my favorite book in the Dragonlance series is War of the Twins. This may not have as many sword-and-sorcery type battles like Chronicles, but the internal and inter-personal battles more than make up for it. Caramon especially impressed me this time around, although just as much characterization was spent with Raistlin, Crysania, and Tas. The two most poignant and moving scenes in the entire book was the search for Crysania (espe! cially the night before they found her) and Caramon's confrontation with Raistlin before the Portal. The confrontation especially moved me beyond words to describe it. In conclusion, I would like to say that this book, like the Legends trilogy, is definitely NOT meant just for children, but has a lot of adult themes in it as well. If you are mainly an action/adventure fan, you might not be totally satisfied, but if you love a good dramatic read, love Dragonlance, and love Raistlin and Caramon, this trilogy is for you. This book should not even be read, however, unless one has read at least Time of the Twins first, if not the entire Chronicles trilogy before it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!, June 6 2004
L Gontzes (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
The Legends Trilogy- the Time of The Twins, the War of the Twins, and Test of the Twins, is the sequel to The Chronicles Trilogy- Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning, which brings to life the ultimate battle between Good and Evil in the magical World of Krynn. The books are so incredibly well written that the reader feels that they have been transported to another plane of existence and are actually present among the characters, seeing what they see, feeling what they feel, sensing what they sense. The authors Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman have truly outdone themselves and have presented us with a masterpiece of literature the likes of which we have seen only in JRR Tolkien's work and RA Salvatore's The Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies. Duty, honor, bravery, magic, dragons and heroes are all about. One should seriously start thinking about maybe turning them into movies...

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved This Book!!!, Feb. 17 2001
By A Customer
I simply could not put this book down! The way you cannot get Raistlin, the evil (evil or just misunderstood?) twin mage to Caramon, the hero of the story, quite figured out is a fantastic twist to the story. There are battles of raw emotions, battles of magic, and battles of sword-on-sword in this book. The plot is: Raistlin, the Master of Past and Present, wants to challenge the Dark Queen Takhisis. To do this, he needs a pure cleric, specifically Crysania, daughter of a rich and pampered family. Caramon, Raistlin's twin and the hero of the story, wants to stop Raistlin. Caramon cannot figure out whether he loves his brother or hates him. Memories of the past happy times clash with the reality of what Raistlin is now, and Caramon must make a tumultous decision that ends the book with a BANG!!! and leaves you slobbering and panting for more. Who could resist this book?

War of the Twins: Dragonlance Legends, Volume II
War of the Twins: Dragonlance Legends, Volume II by Tracy Hickman (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 2001)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92