5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and richly developed
Published on May 25 2004 by Matthew

3.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is this... THE END
Published on Aug. 31 2003 by Kenn1422@aol.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and richly developed, May 25 2004
(Review based on the trilogy) It took me a few chapters to become hooked, perhaps more than most books seasoned with thick prose. The language of the author was very eloquent, but almost different. Without being hyperbolic, it was a bit like reading Shakespear in that you must find the rhythm of the writer, but when you do it comes to you in a natural and pleasant fashion.
The characters, especially Mina, are multi-faceted and well-developed throughout the trilogy. I mention Mina because it is tempting to see her initially as flat and unidimensional. But she is not. To demonstrate this, most readers will find themselves rooting for her and fearing her simultaneously. By the end of the trilogy you're concept of her will take another, quite unexpected turn - sympathy or pity. (You'll have to find out why).
I bought this compulsively from a HB bargain bin and it sat on my shelf for more than a year and finally read it when I got bored. I missed out. This has become one of my favorite series and I am willing to try other series from Weis.
This was well worth the purchase and serious fantasy fans should try it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Square Wheels Work!, March 4 2004
This review is from: Dragons of a Vanished Moon: The War of Souls, Volume Three (Mass Market Paperback)
What Weis and Hickman had done is like re-enventing the wheel: The same principle, although not as good, and you find yourself asking "why?".
These two marvelous authros had taken their 'Chronicles' and 'Legends' round wheels off their Dragonlance wagon, and replaced them with square ones. Surprisingly, they're working. True, the ride isn't as smooth and fun, and it's sometimes bumpy, but it's moving. What makes this series a good ride is especially the amazing tallent of story-telling that the authors have. The cahrectres are good, but not as good as the original Dragonlance heroes. The plot is nice, but I prefer the Chronicles, and I liked the old Krynn better.
I enjoyed this series, I really did. I read it without a break between the books, and I've read in any possible moment, just like the old Weis and Hickman books. I laughed, I was sad and I felt good and bad with and for the characters, like in any other W&H book. However, as fun as it was, it's not as good as the originals. I'm taking these wheels off my wagon and return to my old, round, favorite ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, Feb. 4 2004
The final part of the War of Souls trilogy finds Tas and Conundrum escaping the clutches of Mina and discovering that there is a past.
It finds Gilthas undergoing his own soul searching and deciding to lead his people to Silvanesti via the Plains of Dust.
It finds Silvanoshei continuing his inexprable march to doom.
It finds Gerard and Odila desperately trying to find a way out of the darkness.
It finds Palin and Dalamar working from beyond death.
It finds Malys, Razor and Mirror deciding the fate of dragonkind.
It finds the Gods back in Krynn for a titanic battle.
And, above all, it finds us a conclusion fitting to this epic world.
The fourth Age builds to its tremendous climax as elves, ogres, minotaurs, dragons, humans, gods and the souls of the dead all gather at Sanction for a final terrible battle where the balance is restored and the Book of Judgement of Gilean finally gives us the solution to Takhisis' attempt to rule Krynn once and for all.
The final volume in the fourth age of Krynn, the final volume before the Age of Mortals can begin, is a rich tapestry of love and war, heroes and villains set against a wonderful struggling backdrop of life and death, of magic and mortaility woven in a truly breathless manner by the undisputed current masters of fantasy, Weis and Hickman.
This book, this trilogy, the entire world of Krynn and its heroes that has been created deserves six stars and beyond and any fan of the fantasy genre must have this on their bookshelves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great series by Weis and Hickman, Sept. 21 2003
By A Customer
I really enjoyed this triology. It's been many many years since I first read the Chronicles and Legends series, and War of Souls rekindled my interest in and fondness for the Dragonlance universe.
I can see the point of some of the critics here that there are some loose ends in the plot, some intentional and some not. The most obvious example of an intentional loose end is the one-page mention of the minotaur invasion of Silvanesti. This is obviously laying the groundwork for a spinoff series. Personally, I wasn't too offended by what same are characterizing as crass commercialism; I figure there's a lot going on in the Dragonlance universe, and we can't expect EVERYTHING to be covered in this one little trilogy.
But overall, I thought the plot was well crafted. The scenes involving dragons -- the destruction of Qualinost, the battle against Malys -- are among the most memorable in the series. I loved the verbal exchanges between Gerard and Odila and Silver and Razor. Yeah, Tas' character is starting to get a little worn from use, but I didn't mind seeing him in (hopefully) his final performance.
At the risk of going off on a tanget, I just finished reading the Sovereign Stone trilogy, and ick. Weis and Hickman are masters of the Dragonlance universe -- and they should stay there!

3.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is this... THE END, Aug. 31 2003
Kenn1422@aol.com (Minot, ND United States) - See all my reviews
Being a fan of the original six books and all the characters within, I had but one hope for the War of the Souls. That Tas would go back in time, get squished, and undue the whole bitter nonsense that was the 5th Age (ala post DOAFS). If you dont want to know, dont read any more...Did that happen, NO. Although the end was in true Weis/Hickman style with the fall of the One God and the Sacrafice that made it possible (Fizban), where will avid fans go from here? Minotaurs ruling Krynn, just not that exciting. I have always rushed to read the new stuff W/H added to Dragonlance and was disappointed after Fallen Sun, but I did keep going into WOTS, it was good overall, but in the end I feel this way. Im done with dragonlance. Someone likened it to the end of Phantom Menace, I liken it more to the end of Return of the Jedi, Vader is redeamed (ala Raist) and while you could go one, I cant think of one good reason to. Everything is pretty much wrapped up from the beginning, the six books that got us all into Dragonlance to begin with. There isnt anything left to say, the story has its end, and with that, I know that I will most likely never feel need to buy another Dragonlance novel again. While the story may go on, the characters with whom I have walked with in my mind over the decade, have all taken their last bow and have walked from the stage forever...

1.0 out of 5 stars For the Sake of Art, Avoid this Trilogy, Aug. 16 2003
Jeremy Moses (Williamsport, PA) - See all my reviews
There's so much to say that it's hard to know where to start.
First, the book itself: it's obvious that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman really didn't plan this out from the beginning (ex. Mina's true god turns out to be Takhisis, but in Book One she proclaims that the vision of Takhisis is false-- p.210, hardcover edition). Even ignoring the horrible planning of this book, let's look at the big picture: By and large, the characters are all uninteresting and two-dimensional. Reviving Tasslehoff for this series was as trite as it was stupid, and his overused-- and by now annoying-- presence only adds to the problem.
Gone is the compelling poetry of Michael Williams which gave atmosphere to the Chronicles and Legends. Replacing it is repugnantly bad attempts at rhyme and verse, which appears to have been composed by Stan & Jan Berenstain. There's absolutely nothing left to redeem this pitiful farce of a series. The question is, what could compel these authors, who proved their skill with the Chronicles and Legends, to write such a thing?
I'm sure that there was a time, long ago, when Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman had a genuine love and respect for the world of Dragonlance. This trilogy shows beyond a doubt that that time is gone forever. I was and still am a huge fan of The Chronicles and The Legends, but I have no more respect for Weis and Hickman.
TSR, now Wizards of the Coast, is and always has been solely concerned with money. This was evident from the beginning, as is witnessed by the numerous hack series based on the Chronicles (The Preludes, The Meetings Sextet, The Villains, etc.). But now Wizards of the Coast seems to have gone into overdrive churning out this garbage (Conundrum, The Minotaur Wars, Bertrem's Guide to the War of Souls, etc: Collect Them All!).
And now it's time to face the facts: Weis and Hickman have fully descended into the realm of hack authorship. Their characters, once lovingly constructed and developed, are now little more than marionettes whose sole purpose is to fuel the soleless, greedy empire that is Wizards of the Coast. And worst of all, Weis and Hickman willingly and gladly take part in this. If they had any respect whatsoever for their characters and their world, then they would refuse to write anymore Dragonlance books and walk away. As it is, they happily take part in the debasement and downfall of Krynn.
That's their choice, but as readers, our choice should be to stop buying the new Dragonlance books and leave Wizards of the Coast, Margaret Weis, and Tracy Hickman, to wallow in their greed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Others slam it, but they weren't all that bad, July 16 2003
Amazon Customer "Dani" (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
I read Dragonlance novels as a girl but quickly grew past them. I had completely given up reading DL until a friend of mine urged me to try these new books. I didn't want to spend the money but I quickly fell into Weis and Hickman's masterful writing. Mina is a character that I would normally dispise, but she quickly became my favorite character. Though I would agree with the other reviewers on some points, most of the other characters are background fodder and forgettable, and I could not stand Silvanoshei or Gilthas. The Tasselhoff storyline is overused, I actually let out a groan of disappointment. He's in there stories AGAIN??? (don't get me wrong, I love Tas, but enough's enough, they killed him off for crying out loud!! And their excuse about the Time Travelling doesn't cut it, remember at the end of Summer Flame? Tas was with Flint in the afterlife!! Get a new hero!!!) The series was riding on "moments" aka. exciting bits in the storyline like a battle or some such. The series overall was a let down, but the third book I felt, was the best of the three and had plenty of exciting moments to thrive on. But I wouldn't buy it unless you have the other two and are a Dragonlance fan.

2.0 out of 5 stars Enough is enough!, June 21 2003
Choi Kwong Chak (Hong Kong Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
This is one of the worst books written by Margaret and Tracy.
I read Legends and Chronicals quite a long time ago, I marveled
how deeply the characters and the world is scruptured, and how
serveral story lines intertwin seemlessly. The problems that
Tanis, Caramon and Raistlin faces, are things that happens for
many people and is consistent with their characters. However,
other than perhaps the un-charismatic knight from Solace
(name forgotten), most main characters that held threads, like
Silvanoshei, Gilthas, the Minotaur and Mina, are one
dimensional. The supporting characters like Laurana, Palin,
and Dalamar, the female Solamic, and others, are even less:
they are simply there to do perhaps one thing or two for the
stories, and then they are discarded.
Margaret and Tracy are not good writers about wars ever since
the Chronicals, but this one is even worse. They used to write
a war like a chess game, with a single piece that turn the tide,
and others are mere decoration. But at least the goals and why
the tide is turned are well established in Chronicles and
Legends. I don't even understand why there is a war in the case
of the War of Souls, and how the contest of the semi-god (the
dragons overlord) with the one god (takhisis) extend to the
mortal level.
I must admit that their previous work turn the world into
something difficult to handle, the dragon overlords are
pointless and yet they becomes permanent fixture in the world,
and they must write the story to kill them. The mortalization
of Paladine and the rise of Sargonnas are the new idiosyncrasies
for profit making for the wizards of the coasts. The worse fears
that Margaret written in the foreword of legends become true:
The story has become a tool of profit and the demands from the
publisher stifles their creativity.
This story is so bad that I was thinking that I felt Chronicles
and Legends are good simply because I was young when I read
those. Therefore I read them again recently. The story are
relatively simple to those written by authors like George RR
Martin, but the charisma is still there. The characters are
multi-dimensional and their adventures, and their past, are
sense-making. I can summarize Chronicles as this: Through the
adventures of the heros, the world is healed by their actions;
and in so doing, they grow up and heal themselves from their
past. In other words, the main character is the world Krynn,
rather than any individual character. There is no such
connection in the War of Souls.
I recently also start to read the Death Gate Cycle, and the
story is not as bad. Therefore I would like to recommend: even
if you want to read the work of Margaret and Tracy again, do not
follow the dragonlance series as it is a tool to trick your
money.

4.0 out of 5 stars W&H deliver again!, May 18 2003
Andy. Gillum (indian mound, tn) - See all my reviews
Because of some bad, very misleading reviews, I put off reading this book, a decision I regret. If you expect a happy ending in a neatly--wrapped package, you should know by now that's not W&H's style.
They fixed the problems with the 5th Age(there are gods & magic again)even though they contradict the ending to DOSF a bit but they didn't take the cop out road by erasing what's happened already. Gerard was more tolerable than in DOALS & there are more bone-chilling surprises. I was surprised some old characters like Porthios, Gilthanas & Silvara didn't make appearances & that W&H let us off easy with character casualties.
Would I have done things differently? Yes. I would have ended the Chaos War by giving Takhisis & her knights control(although not free reign)of Krynn or made the dragon overlords(who I despised)the villians in this trilogy & had the old gods take Krynn back from them. Did I feel robbed or cheated after I finished reading? Hell no.
Once again, W&H have created a page-turner without trying to cute or original & boring us to death...

2.0 out of 5 stars Had potential, but overall disappointing, May 6 2003
By A Customer
After finishing the War of the Souls trilogy, I feel the same disappointment that I experienced after watching "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace." Yes, the books say Dragonlance on the cover, but these new additions just aren't the same as the originals - Chronicles and Legends. And to bring back Takhisis (yawn). How dull.
To begin with, I can't stand Mina. She is a poorly-written, one-dimensional character that I couldn't wait to die some awful death. (Whether she does or not I will not reveal). The treatment of Dalamar was also a joke, as he was seriously out of character (esp. galling because he was one of my favorite characters in the original books). Galdar was a good addition, but Gerard, Odila, Silvanoshei, etc. were all stock and forgettable. And I could never get attached to Gilthas, for whatever reason.
Tasslehoff, well, I like kender, but like the Aliens series, you don't need to keep bringing back Ripley to have an enjoyable story.
In any event, I don't plan to read any more Dragonlance novels, but I will re-read Chronicles, Legends and Second Generation. Beyond that, it just is not the same. (Dragons of Summer Flame is particularly bad.)
Anyway, that's my two cents.

Dragons of a Vanished Moon: The War of Souls, Volume Three
Dragons of a Vanished Moon: The War of Souls, Volume Three by Tracy Hickman (Mass Market Paperback - March 1 2003)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89