5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and richly developed
Published on May 25 2004 by Matthew

3.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is this... THE END
Being a fan of the original six books and all the characters within, I had but one hope for the War of the Souls. That Tas would go back in time, get squished, and undue the whole bitter nonsense that was the 5th Age (ala post DOAFS). If you dont want to know, dont read any more...Did that happen, NO. Although the end was in true Weis/Hickman style with the fall of the...
Published on Aug. 31 2003 by Kenn1422@aol.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and richly developed, May 25 2004
(Review based on the trilogy) It took me a few chapters to become hooked, perhaps more than most books seasoned with thick prose. The language of the author was very eloquent, but almost different. Without being hyperbolic, it was a bit like reading Shakespear in that you must find the rhythm of the writer, but when you do it comes to you in a natural and pleasant fashion.
The characters, especially Mina, are multi-faceted and well-developed throughout the trilogy. I mention Mina because it is tempting to see her initially as flat and unidimensional. But she is not. To demonstrate this, most readers will find themselves rooting for her and fearing her simultaneously. By the end of the trilogy you're concept of her will take another, quite unexpected turn - sympathy or pity. (You'll have to find out why).
I bought this compulsively from a HB bargain bin and it sat on my shelf for more than a year and finally read it when I got bored. I missed out. This has become one of my favorite series and I am willing to try other series from Weis.
This was well worth the purchase and serious fantasy fans should try it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best of the trilogy, May 25 2004
Aaron Lohr "Visionary" (Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragons of a Vanished Moon: The War of Souls, Volume Three (Mass Market Paperback)
I worked through the first two books of this trilogy and it took me a while. They were easy books to take a break from. In fact, after volume two I read four other books before I came back for volume three. This one though, is much better. I read it in three sittings and it left me wanting more. Finally there is more action than talk, more direction than repetitious dialogue and themes. In the other books I could tell what was going to happen, how the battles would go, but in this book I didn't know what was going to happen next and I love that.
No it isn't as good as any of the books in the chronicles or legends, but it ain't that far off. Weis and Hickman juggle many characters, and they do it well bringing many of them together for a final climatic moment which was enjoyable.
This book saved the trilogy for me, and I was getting ready to give up on the future of Dragonlance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Square Wheels Work!, March 4 2004
What Weis and Hickman had done is like re-enventing the wheel: The same principle, although not as good, and you find yourself asking "why?".
These two marvelous authros had taken their 'Chronicles' and 'Legends' round wheels off their Dragonlance wagon, and replaced them with square ones. Surprisingly, they're working. True, the ride isn't as smooth and fun, and it's sometimes bumpy, but it's moving. What makes this series a good ride is especially the amazing tallent of story-telling that the authors have. The cahrectres are good, but not as good as the original Dragonlance heroes. The plot is nice, but I prefer the Chronicles, and I liked the old Krynn better.
I enjoyed this series, I really did. I read it without a break between the books, and I've read in any possible moment, just like the old Weis and Hickman books. I laughed, I was sad and I felt good and bad with and for the characters, like in any other W&H book. However, as fun as it was, it's not as good as the originals. I'm taking these wheels off my wagon and return to my old, round, favorite ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars GROWTH IS A GOOD THING....NO ?, Feb. 7 2004
Manuel (SAN DIEGO, CA) - See all my reviews
WAR OF THE SOULS WAS A GREAT SERIES...YES THE STORY LINE WAS DIFFERENT...HAS WHERE SOME OF THE CHARACTERS, WHO SEEMED OUT OF LINE...BUT THAT WAS THE STORY LINE. ALL THE NEW PEOPLE ADDED TO THE WORLD WE HAVE COME TO LOVE AND ADORE, ONLY HELPED IN THE EXPANDING OF "OUR" WORLD ON KYRNN. THINK ABOUT IT IF YOU WILL.....HOW MANY MORE BOOKS DO YOU WANT OF RASTLIN, TANIS AND THAT LITTLE KENDER. THINGS CHANGE, HELL YOU AND I HAVE CHANGED HOW MANY TIMES IN OUR OWN LIVE TIME. I CAN WAIT TO SEE WHERE WE GO FROM HERE, I TRUELY BELIEVE THE NEXT SERIES WILL BE OFF THE CHART. IF YOU DID NOT GET, OR UNDERSTAND THE WAR OF SOULS SERIES....I SUGGEST...AND I MEAN THIS WITH ALL MY HEART...REMOVE YOUR BACK SIDE FROM THE ABYSS...OPEN YOUR MIND AND RE-READ IT FOR WHAT IT TRUELY IS...NOT WHAT YOU WHERE EXPECTING AND YOU WILL GROW TO LOVE THE STORIES.

1.0 out of 5 stars wish there was a zero star option, Feb. 5 2004
S. Patel "sajioblo" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This book was written to correct the disaster that is Dragons of Summer Flame, nothing more nothing less. Funny how those who made Krynn magical were the same ones to utterly destroy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, Feb. 4 2004
The final part of the War of Souls trilogy finds Tas and Conundrum escaping the clutches of Mina and discovering that there is a past.
It finds Gilthas undergoing his own soul searching and deciding to lead his people to Silvanesti via the Plains of Dust.
It finds Silvanoshei continuing his inexprable march to doom.
It finds Gerard and Odila desperately trying to find a way out of the darkness.
It finds Palin and Dalamar working from beyond death.
It finds Malys, Razor and Mirror deciding the fate of dragonkind.
It finds the Gods back in Krynn for a titanic battle.
And, above all, it finds us a conclusion fitting to this epic world.
The fourth Age builds to its tremendous climax as elves, ogres, minotaurs, dragons, humans, gods and the souls of the dead all gather at Sanction for a final terrible battle where the balance is restored and the Book of Judgement of Gilean finally gives us the solution to Takhisis' attempt to rule Krynn once and for all.
The final volume in the fourth age of Krynn, the final volume before the Age of Mortals can begin, is a rich tapestry of love and war, heroes and villains set against a wonderful struggling backdrop of life and death, of magic and mortaility woven in a truly breathless manner by the undisputed current masters of fantasy, Weis and Hickman.
This book, this trilogy, the entire world of Krynn and its heroes that has been created deserves six stars and beyond and any fan of the fantasy genre must have this on their bookshelves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still stunned by the climatic ending, Nov. 3 2003
M. Eldridge "matt" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
If you have even a marginal interest in Dragonlance and have been following the story, buy this book. The book continues the stories of the interesting and vividly detailed main characters, adding to the richness of their personalities and the depth of their feelings. The wonderful and exciting storyline which has become synonymous with dragonlance does not leave readers disappointed in Dragons of a Vanished Moon. The entire book masterfully builds up to the huge climax at the end. Major events occur in rapid succession in the last few chapters making these pages perhaps the most climatic in any dragonlance book. The ending is in true Weis/Hickman fashion and leaves me once again impressed at the skill of these giants of fantasy writing.
Bottom Line
-Buy it today!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Retains the Tradition and Quality of the series, Oct. 21 2003
By A Customer
I have read this book in one sitting. Truly, this saga is one of the best I have read in the fantasy/sci-fi genre. It was always sad to see one or two of the original companions go. And I admit,the first time I read the series, I had doubts that these new set of heroes (Gilthas, Gerard, Odilla, Gandar, Silvanoshei) will live up to the original companions.
The answer. Yes they do.
Tanis is reborn in in Gilthas. Sturm in Gerard. Goldmoon in Odilla. Kaz in Gandar. But, we need more of Tas and Flint.
Hopefully, in the future, we'll see the world of Krynn in wide-screen.
Do you think the balance was maintained? What do you think happened to Dalamar, Palin, and Mina? And of course, the exiled elf?

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great series by Weis and Hickman, Sept. 21 2003
By A Customer
I really enjoyed this triology. It's been many many years since I first read the Chronicles and Legends series, and War of Souls rekindled my interest in and fondness for the Dragonlance universe.
I can see the point of some of the critics here that there are some loose ends in the plot, some intentional and some not. The most obvious example of an intentional loose end is the one-page mention of the minotaur invasion of Silvanesti. This is obviously laying the groundwork for a spinoff series. Personally, I wasn't too offended by what same are characterizing as crass commercialism; I figure there's a lot going on in the Dragonlance universe, and we can't expect EVERYTHING to be covered in this one little trilogy.
But overall, I thought the plot was well crafted. The scenes involving dragons -- the destruction of Qualinost, the battle against Malys -- are among the most memorable in the series. I loved the verbal exchanges between Gerard and Odila and Silver and Razor. Yeah, Tas' character is starting to get a little worn from use, but I didn't mind seeing him in (hopefully) his final performance.
At the risk of going off on a tanget, I just finished reading the Sovereign Stone trilogy, and ick. Weis and Hickman are masters of the Dragonlance universe -- and they should stay there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragonlance Forever, Sept. 12 2003
Leonardo E. Negron "Gamer" (Savannah, GA) - See all my reviews
As Takhisis is revealed to the heroes things start turning grim.
A perfect ending to an imperfect world. This book is great. It ties up all loose ends but leaves a lot of extras for the future. The ending is a shock but not unexpected in such a world. As always Margaret and Tracy deliver. The book is perfectly written with the usual madness of the kenders and the unexpected twists and turns of the plot. Once again these two writers prove that they are Dragonlance and nobody else can step to the plate.

ARRAY(0xb4663b34)

Dragons of a Vanished Moon: The War of Souls, Volume Three
Dragons of a Vanished Moon: The War of Souls, Volume Three by Tracy Hickman (Mass Market Paperback - March 1 2003)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89