5.0 out of 5 stars Knaak reveals to us the little known Minotaur empire
Published on April 18 2004 by Michael Ruddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this Krynn...or what?
I fell in love with Richard Knaak after he wrote the Legend of Huma. In that book, he was able to humanize the minotaur race through Kaz. Unfortunately, I was not able to read the sequel, Kaz the Minotaur.
Published on Dec 18 2003 by bombet

5.0 out of 5 stars Knaak reveals to us the little known Minotaur empire, April 18 2004
Michael Ruddy "mpruddy" (Union City, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night of Blood: The Minotaur Wars, Volume One (Mass Market Paperback)
This thrilling novel shows us a whole new world of Krynn. In this first book of a long awaited trilogy, Knaak shows us a whole new culture of Krynn. Although this book mainly focuses on the upsurping of Chot and the beginning Hotak's rule it also shows us some of the Minotaur culture never really told in detail till now. It also brings into light an empire never really shown in DL books. Sure there may have been hints here and there, but it was never shown in detail. This book is an excellent guide if you're a Minotaur fan. And if I may be permited a cliche, this guy has a real Knaak for story-telling.
The story is also amazing! At first you see Chot's reign as a time of decline and think Hotak will improve the empire. Basically, at first you think Hotak, the usurper of the Minotaur throne, is the good guy. After a while you see that during Chot's reign at least they had freedom while Hotak is the defintion of tyrant.
The usual problem facing empires is also known here in the Minotaur realm. The temple and the throne are at unease with each other. Hotak's wife, Nephera, is the starter of this eerie temple where she has a legion of invsible undead ghosts at her command. Also the heir to the throne, Ardnor, is a devout follower of the temple and that's a problem. I am not going to continue the thread here for fear of spoiling the story.
The rebels are an interesting bunch. It is amazing how they can survive opposing an empire bustling with undead ghosts. These undead fellows are constantly informing Nephera about the rebels locations and identities.
This is a wonderful book and was my first Richard Knaak book. It is a must read for all DL fans. I have high expectations for the sequel! This is also my first reveiw! Enjoy! --Kendergod son of mruddy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, different, I loved it, March 9 2004
Ok, many people didnt like it but i loved it. The Minotaurs are generally overlooked by the rest of the Dragonlance authors. I find them entertaining. THey're a different society from the rest of Krynn. Taking on a more Roman type gov't. If you're into books for action then you wouldnt like this though. This is more of a political book. Explaining how they came to be where they are, taking over Silvanesti in the War of Souls. All in all, it's a really good story. Though like othe Knaak books it has a lot of characters. I mean A LOT. There must be up to 10-15 Characters just in the first book. Gets confusing. But again, I say its a really good book. Different from other Dragonlacne books for a change, it's not all about war (though I like war).
I suggest u read it when u have the time

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start..., April 30 2004
brad (Victoria, B.C, Canada) - See all my reviews
For those who remember Richard A. Knakk, he was the authour of one of the greatest Dragonlance books ever The Legend of Huma. Knakk is back and to no one's surprise he covers the minotaur race... in full detail this time around.
The first book mainly focuses on the political aspect of the minotaurs but Knakk does a fairly good job of it. I'll be honest however, the first 100 or so pages are rather tedious (as Hotak sets up his empire) and you wonder if there will be any action to come. But it comes I guarantee you! The last part of the book is especially enthralling and I had a very hard time putting it down.
I can't wait to read Tides of Blood as it seems NoB was just a warm-up for what's to come. A must have for Dragonlance readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this Krynn...or what?, Dec 18 2003
This book however, fails me, a fan of the Dragonlance sage. And I mean, I have a read a lot of dragonlance books from Dragons to the Kagonesti to the War of Souls. I can devour one book in one sitting. In The Night of the Blood however, I have to drag myself to finish it. And right now, there's no compelling reason for me to further read on the series.
I think the reason lies on the race. I believe that one of the foundations of the dragonlance is magic. Whether it be Fizban, Dalamar, Magius, the silver dragons, Elven mages, Raistlin, Fistandatilus, etc. - a book should have magic. If there's none, might as well read a John Grisham of Michael Crichton book. This one however, concentrates too much on the politics and deceit of the minotaur regime - which is not uncommon to what we see in corrupt governments all over the world - which made me think, am I reading a Robert Ludlum novel.
Thus, the fantasy world Krynn that we come to love is not present. No dragons. No elves. Not even kenders who give the readers comic respite. The race is only about minotaurs...and to a certain extent, for now, the ogres.
The novel is just a pure testosterone-filled book. And it's about to get a notch higher when the ogres become more apparent in book 2.
The legend of Huma is much better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting adventure, well written and interesting, Sept. 30 2003
The old minotaur Emperor is old and the empire corrupt, yet Emperor Chot remains unbeatable in the arena. Rather than try his chances in the traditional method of minotaur succession, General Hotak launches a coup. Aided by his magician/priestess wife, Hotak ruthlessly destroys everyone loyal to the old regime, sending army units and ghosts against those who even consider resisting. Yet Hotak is unsatisfied with ruling the minotaur islands. Throwing aside Chot's tentative alliance with humans, Hotak decides to make common cause with the minotaurs' most ancient enemy--the ogres.
Although Hotak has eliminated most of the resistance, a few minotaurs remain unbowed. General Rahm, somehow protected from the priestess's magic, gathers a small force committed to destroying the pretender-emperor. Captured and worked as a slave in the mines, Faros plots eventual revenge. Yet their efforts, weak though they may be, are constantly undermined by the priestess's control over ghosts themselves.
Author Richard A. Knaak writes an exciting fantasy novel. The violent and headstrong minotaurs make intriguing protagonists. Hotak is surprisingly complex, wishing to serve his people and empire at the same time as he ruthlessly suppresses anyone who dares to oppose him. His wife and oldest son, in contrast, are purely self-interested, yet intelligent enough to know that supporting Hotak will serve their own interests as well--at least until Hotak finds family obligations at odds with his duty to his nation. Knaap's writing is approachable and his characters distinctive and interesting.
Fans of the DragonLance universe will find a lot to enjoy in NIGHT OF BLOOD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Next Chapter in the Dragonlance Saga! Beware the Minotaurs!, Aug. 19 2003
L. Petrino (New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great novel which is a follow up to the War of Souls trilogy. So it is a must for all Dragonlance fans to continue with the saga. Richard A. Knaak is definately one of the best Dragonlance writers, and to give him the reins of this series is a great choice. Unlike that little trilogy by a certain Jean Rabe which many fans would like to forget. The first novel, Night of Blood acts as a prequel to the events involving the minotaurs in the War of Souls trilogy. It really dives into the minotaur society filled with action and political intrique which makes this a novel you can't put down. There are a lot of characters and at times you feel a bit overwhelmed but you stick with it.
Dragonlance readers would remember that the minotaurs were last invading Krynn, namely Silvanesti back in the War of Souls. Night of Blood deals with a bloody coup which puts minotaurs in power who feel that the time for expansion has come at last. The second book, Tides of Blood, is eagerly anticipated next year. It will probably involve war with the Elves of Silvanesti. Knaak has done it again, and the Dragonlance series is alive and well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to a great series, Aug. 3 2003
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Richard Knaak has a great start to this new series. The prologue is basically a short history of the minotaur race, but the first chapter is an action packed, bloody coupe. It portrays Minotaurs as a very Romanesque society and gives some interesting vantage points from their view point as well. He is very descriptive, but not overly descriptive (as Jordan can sometimes get.) The book has a great flow to it, and some very intersting turns of events. Definatly a must read for any fan of the series. But even if you have not read any of the other books, I still think this book could stand on its own for most fantasy readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Novel, July 21 2003
J. Jones (USA) - See all my reviews
Knaak has done it again. Proving that he is the all knowing about Minotaurs. This book delves deeply into their, culture, heritage, lives and their world. The character development is phenominal. The plot is superb. I eagerly await the remaining 2 volumes to see where the story goes. The elves better watch out!
Faar Kivan

4.0 out of 5 stars The first step into a new age and new world....., July 4 2003
Gaurav Sethi (Fort Erie, Ontario Canada Canada) - See all my reviews
If you're a fan of the world of Dragonlance then Knaak shouldn't be a new name to you. He's written some shorter stories that have been compiled with Margaret Weis. For any who are not familiar with the world of Dragonlance & Krynn, then I suggest you go read "Dragons of an Autumn Twighlight: Chronicles Book 1" by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman.
This is the first book in the next stage of Dragonlance, the Age of Mortals. The God's are no more and now it is up to the people of Krynn to watch out for their own. This book takes a very specific look at a race that hasn't very much been explored or even mentioned in Dragonlance History. "The Minotaur Wars - Volume 1 - Night of Blood" is just the first book in the 3 part series and while this does end at a cliffhanger it's worth it. The book specifically deals with the inter-relations and civil war disputes of the Minotaur nation as it struggles to set itself right among the other races of Krynn. This book explores much about the race of Minotaurs: politics, religion, social structure. The only negative thing that I might mention about this book is that it inter-slice many different scenes and at times might seem a bit overwhelming, though this is done for the end result, which is weaving many different story lines as they are merged into one towards the end. I like it quite a bit and would suggest this book as a must for any fan of Dragonlance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read..., June 23 2003
I started reading Dragonlance years ago, with one of Knaak's books. Because of his writing style I was hooked onto the series. I admit that my interest has been waning because of some of the latest 'side-story' novels have not been up to par, but this book, combined with Weis and Hickman's War of Souls Trilogy, has renewed my faith in the series.
I don't wish to give too much of the story away, but the inside jacket does say most of what I'll type.
From the insurrection within the Minotaur Empire, this new trilogy sets off a bang. Knaak has a talent for both portraying Knights and honour (from his previous novels dealing with the Knights of Solamnia) and with showcasing a Romanesque type of society, much like the Minotaur Empire. The scenes that take place within the Great Circus brought to mind certain scenes in the Roman Colosseum from the movie Gladiator, flush with trap doors and feral beasts.
Of course, this being the first part of a new trilogy, it does end with a cliffhanger, but I don't mind too much. The main character definitely developed throughout the course of the story, from the drunk and revelling son of a distant Imperial relative to a young man (minotaur) who has turned dourly introspective on himself and his currect situation.
All in all, I was quite impressed with this novel.

ARRAY(0xadf2e408)

Night of Blood: The Minotaur Wars, Volume One
Night of Blood: The Minotaur Wars, Volume One by richard a. Knaak (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01