Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
on July 4, 2003
If you're a fan of the world of Dragonlance then Knaak shouldn't be a new name to you. He's written some shorter stories that have been compiled with Margaret Weis. For any who are not familiar with the world of Dragonlance & Krynn, then I suggest you go read "Dragons of an Autumn Twighlight: Chronicles Book 1" by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman.
This is the first book in the next stage of Dragonlance, the Age of Mortals. The God's are no more and now it is up to the people of Krynn to watch out for their own. This book takes a very specific look at a race that hasn't very much been explored or even mentioned in Dragonlance History. "The Minotaur Wars - Volume 1 - Night of Blood" is just the first book in the 3 part series and while this does end at a cliffhanger it's worth it. The book specifically deals with the inter-relations and civil war disputes of the Minotaur nation as it struggles to set itself right among the other races of Krynn. This book explores much about the race of Minotaurs: politics, religion, social structure. The only negative thing that I might mention about this book is that it inter-slice many different scenes and at times might seem a bit overwhelming, though this is done for the end result, which is weaving many different story lines as they are merged into one towards the end. I like it quite a bit and would suggest this book as a must for any fan of Dragonlance.
on June 14, 2003
This book was my first experience into looking at Richard Knaak's minotaur nation on the continent of Ansalon. So far, let me state that I'm impressed.
On the cover it states this is Volume One of a series, so don't go into this one expecting it to be a stand alone. But then again, considering all of the DragonLance (DL) novels that have comes before it, this isn't really the true starting point either. But Knaak gives a history of the minotaur race prior to the actual story which fills gives DL newbies most of the required information needed before stepping into this series. Not being a newbie however, I can only guess he did a decent job in describing what needs to be known to those who haven't read anything in DL before.
I've read several but not a large number of secondary authors for DragonLance (Hickman and Weis being the first tier). Up until now Mary H. Herbert was the only one I had a large amount of respect for, even though Jean Rabe has partially redeemed herself with the recent Dhammon Saga. To my pleasure, Richard A. Knaak has just been put up on that list as well.
The overall story flow is consistant with only a few minimal lulls in the action, and his characters are well defined and shown to be individuals different from each other even though 'cultural commonalities' can be seen in all of those in the minotaur nation. Most importantly, even though 'The Minotaur Wars' are about fighting and manuvering for power, much of the plot is character driven by strong characters that one could believe will be read about by students of history in the future of Krynn. There are times where one has to catch oneself reading this or else find themselves rooting for the wrong side (especially at the end of this first volume).
Now, I've seen this book advertised as the first post-War of Souls book. In reference to my review title, I want to state that although I get the feeling this series will lead into the times after the War of Souls, from what I can gather this one volume takes place primarilly slightly before and during Mina's War. The book covers something like five or six months worth of time (estimate), so I have no doubt the series will go into and past the event alluded to the DL readers at the end of WoS.
Yes, I'm doing what I can to avoid talking about the plot. You've already got the summaries up above for that. But I will state that this first volume of the series not only has me interested in the rest to be released, but I'm going back and finding Knaak's other novels in DragonLance to see what I've missed (specifically 'Reavers of the blood Sea' and 'The Legend of Huma').
This hardcover book is a good buy. Sit back and enjoy.
on April 30, 2004
For those who remember Richard A. Knakk, he was the authour of one of the greatest Dragonlance books ever The Legend of Huma. Knakk is back and to no one's surprise he covers the minotaur race... in full detail this time around.
The first book mainly focuses on the political aspect of the minotaurs but Knakk does a fairly good job of it. I'll be honest however, the first 100 or so pages are rather tedious (as Hotak sets up his empire) and you wonder if there will be any action to come. But it comes I guarantee you! The last part of the book is especially enthralling and I had a very hard time putting it down.
I can't wait to read Tides of Blood as it seems NoB was just a warm-up for what's to come. A must have for Dragonlance readers.