march boutiques-francophones snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

on August 10, 2002
This was a a light, entertaining book and and fun murder mystery. The first book in the series, we are introduced to Goldy Bear (Whose real name is Gertrude Bear Korman). Goldy has started her own catering business, to support herself and her son, after divorcing her abusive ex husband. While catering a funeral, Goldy's ex father in law is poisoned, and Goldy's business is shut down. In order to clear her name and get her life back, Goldy decides to investigate the crime.
Chock full of interesting characters, a possible love interest and as an added bonus, some terrific sounding recipes. I can't wait to move on to the next book in the series.
on May 28, 1999
While the story itself was interesting and the recipes were really cute, the character of Marla was poorly written and quite offensive. A size 16 and she is described as having "swirling tires of flesh" and can't be trusted around food. The way she is described as eating in the book she'd be a size 42 and weigh over 350 pounds! I don't think the author has ever met someone who was a size 16, and if you don't weigh 115 pounds and fit into a size 4, this character will ruin the book for you! The other annoying cliche was the pregnant girl is described as craving pickles and ice cream. Ooooo, I'd never guess that one!
on April 2, 2004
I got this book from my local library (sorry Amazon!) after reading Dying for Chocolate-the second book in this series. I'm a little out or sequence, but I still enjoyed this book. I actually liked Catering to Nobody better.
I really enjoy the feeling of realism, even with dealing with implausible situations. Goldy is an overworked and underappreciated single mom, with a nasty ex and a troubled son. Arch (the trouled son) is a wonderfully inventive character, and it was no surprize to me that he saves the day.
I'll be going on with this series...in order from now on!
on July 6, 2001
I can't believe this book is out of print in paperback and out of stock in hardcover. What a shame! "Catering to Nobody" is the first lovable book in the culinary mystery series. Among the twists and turns of an engrossing mystery you will find about 3 recipes (other books have more). In this book, Goldy's business is officially shut down due to poison-laced coffee that nearly kills her ex-father-in-law. Many believe she is guilty ... so Goldy must find the real culprit!
on June 5, 2000
Every once in a while, I love to just sit back with a short, fun mystery like this novel. Goldy, a single mom and caterer, finds herself in the middle of a sinister murder plot by catering a wake for one of her son's former teachers. Goldy knows all of the usual suspects, and the handsome sheriff can't help but ask Goldy for her help. This book is a lot of fun, and the recipes sound wonderful! Can't wait to continue reading the series...
on May 17, 2004
This book is literary junk food, but just about everybody likes to snack on junk food sometimes. The story is fluffy as a quiche but a fun read, nonetheless. As an amateur cook and Colorado resident, I enjoyed Davidson's descriptions of small-mountain-town life and of the creation of delectable dishes. As a person who has dabbled in "nerdy" pursuits, I also enjoyed how Arch, the introverted, role-playing son, got to be a hero.
on July 24, 2002
I wanted some easy fun reading that was a no brainer and I got it. I really enjoyed this book and cant wait to start on the others in this series. I liked all the crazy different characters and everything that went along with them. Plent of twist and turns kept me reading on through night so I would see how they all came together. Overall if your looking for fun easy reading, check this one out.
on June 19, 2000
I am so glad I discovered this series. Anyone who enjoys Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, and other authors with 'real' people will love Davidson's books. My only beef is with a blurb on the cover, comparing her to Mary Higgins Clark. I found the characters in this book far more human, appealing, and humorous. I'm furiously ordering every one of the books in this series. She's just my style.
on November 5, 1997
I loved the book! I found it by accident and am I glad I did! However now I have several more of this authors books to read! This is a wonderful book! Goldie Bear is a great cook and a fun sleuth. The book is peppered (sorry about the pun) with wonderful recipes. The characters are well developed and Ms. Davidson does a wonderful job of keeping you guessing.
on April 11, 2002
This was the first Davidson book I read, and have since read her entire collection. I love her sense of family and home - she is always most relaxed when she is in the kitchen cooking. I have also tried several of her recipes and my husband praises her dishes! Light, entertaining, and a good murder mystery in each story. Enjoy-