5.0 out of 5 stars foodies, cooks, mystery and fun
Diane Mott Davidson brings us Goldy, of Goldilock's Catering, "where everything is just right," a loving mother, cook, small businesswoman, and amateur detective. Goldy runs a catering business in the mountains of Aspen Meadows, Colorado, is a single mom to son Arch, and has a knack for solving murders.
Unlike another female investigator based in central...
Published on July 3 2003 by Karen Sampson Hudson

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak Prose - Passable Plot
This was the most unpleasant selection my monthly book club has nominated. The author seems like she is trying to follow a "Writer's Digest" formula as she unfolds her plot and the effect is just too predictable. The timeline is not paced well either. Sometimes we'll spend a whole chapter on a conversation and then we'll jump ahead three days in the space of a paragraph...
Published on March 24 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun introduction to culinary whodunit., Aug. 10 2002
This was a a light, entertaining book and and fun murder mystery. The first book in the series, we are introduced to Goldy Bear (Whose real name is Gertrude Bear Korman). Goldy has started her own catering business, to support herself and her son, after divorcing her abusive ex husband. While catering a funeral, Goldy's ex father in law is poisoned, and Goldy's business is shut down. In order to clear her name and get her life back, Goldy decides to investigate the crime.
Chock full of interesting characters, a possible love interest and as an added bonus, some terrific sounding recipes. I can't wait to move on to the next book in the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Offensive and ill-informed, May 28 1999
While the story itself was interesting and the recipes were really cute, the character of Marla was poorly written and quite offensive. A size 16 and she is described as having "swirling tires of flesh" and can't be trusted around food. The way she is described as eating in the book she'd be a size 42 and weigh over 350 pounds! I don't think the author has ever met someone who was a size 16, and if you don't weigh 115 pounds and fit into a size 4, this character will ruin the book for you! The other annoying cliche was the pregnant girl is described as craving pickles and ice cream. Ooooo, I'd never guess that one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Catering to the reader, April 2 2004
I got this book from my local library (sorry Amazon!) after reading Dying for Chocolate-the second book in this series. I'm a little out or sequence, but I still enjoyed this book. I actually liked Catering to Nobody better.
I really enjoy the feeling of realism, even with dealing with implausible situations. Goldy is an overworked and underappreciated single mom, with a nasty ex and a troubled son. Arch (the trouled son) is a wonderfully inventive character, and it was no surprize to me that he saves the day.
I'll be going on with this series...in order from now on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of Print!!!???, July 6 2001
V. VanCamp "lovesbookslovesmusic" (Ithaca, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Catering To Nobody (Hardcover)
I can't believe this book is out of print in paperback and out of stock in hardcover. What a shame! "Catering to Nobody" is the first lovable book in the culinary mystery series. Among the twists and turns of an engrossing mystery you will find about 3 recipes (other books have more). In this book, Goldy's business is officially shut down due to poison-laced coffee that nearly kills her ex-father-in-law. Many believe she is guilty ... so Goldy must find the real culprit!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Feast for Mystery Lovers!, June 5 2000
Every once in a while, I love to just sit back with a short, fun mystery like this novel. Goldy, a single mom and caterer, finds herself in the middle of a sinister murder plot by catering a wake for one of her son's former teachers. Goldy knows all of the usual suspects, and the handsome sheriff can't help but ask Goldy for her help. This book is a lot of fun, and the recipes sound wonderful! Can't wait to continue reading the series...

3.0 out of 5 stars A reader's snack, May 17 2004
This book is literary junk food, but just about everybody likes to snack on junk food sometimes. The story is fluffy as a quiche but a fun read, nonetheless. As an amateur cook and Colorado resident, I enjoyed Davidson's descriptions of small-mountain-town life and of the creation of delectable dishes. As a person who has dabbled in "nerdy" pursuits, I also enjoyed how Arch, the introverted, role-playing son, got to be a hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a series, July 24 2002
"whoasam" (Sunny beach in San Diego) - See all my reviews
I wanted some easy fun reading that was a no brainer and I got it. I really enjoyed this book and cant wait to start on the others in this series. I liked all the crazy different characters and everything that went along with them. Plent of twist and turns kept me reading on through night so I would see how they all came together. Overall if your looking for fun easy reading, check this one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Addiction!, June 19 2000
By A Customer
I am so glad I discovered this series. Anyone who enjoys Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, and other authors with 'real' people will love Davidson's books. My only beef is with a blurb on the cover, comparing her to Mary Higgins Clark. I found the characters in this book far more human, appealing, and humorous. I'm furiously ordering every one of the books in this series. She's just my style.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great first novel!, Nov. 5 1997
I loved the book! I found it by accident and am I glad I did! However now I have several more of this authors books to read! This is a wonderful book! Goldie Bear is a great cook and a fun sleuth. The book is peppered (sorry about the pun) with wonderful recipes. The characters are well developed and Ms. Davidson does a wonderful job of keeping you guessing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Davidson Books A Pleasure, April 11 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Catering To Nobody (Hardcover)
This was the first Davidson book I read, and have since read her entire collection. I love her sense of family and home - she is always most relaxed when she is in the kitchen cooking. I have also tried several of her recipes and my husband praises her dishes! Light, entertaining, and a good murder mystery in each story. Enjoy-

Catering to Nobody
Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson (Audio Cassette - Dec 1996)
Used & New from: CDN$ 46.80