Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Furniture Kindle Cycling Tools minions Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star)show all reviews
on November 1, 1999
This book certainly was not the thrill I had once expected it to be. It ended up being tedious after the first 30 pages or so. The beginning was superb. It seems, however, that Farmer gave up after a while, and just slacked off. However, he made 5 other books after the fact...?
Personally, I just didn't think it was that great.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on April 6, 2004
As a lifelong fan of science fiction and fantasy literature, I waited with bated breath to read a novel so grand in scope. And yet -- just like RINGWORLD or RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA -- the novel fails (miserably) to deliver the other two key aspects of good fiction: strong characterization and conflict.
While the character of Richard Burton is complex, he is far from sympathetic. Indeed, he is rendered so unrealistically that the normal suspension of disbelief requisite to speculative fiction is inadequate to overcome.
This protagonist is better suited to a novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
The alien from Tau Ceti -- who piques considerable interest -- is inconsequential. The repeated encounters with Goering are preposterous. And the fact that every woman has a great figure despite her lack of hair is really tiring.
I'm very disappointed; I had hoped that this would be an exciting new series for me to explore. But given the poor quality of this opening novel, I have no desire to read the other books in the series.
Keith
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again