Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on March 23, 2000
I have loved this series - from characters to plots to recipes (especially recipes!) But I felt this book was not her best. First of all, the same themes repeat themselves over and over again - Goldie's life is falling apart. In this case, the improbable issue of not being able to use her home kitchen for catering because of inadequate drains is just absurd. It's painted as a financial problem and then, miraculously, with no new influx of cash, husband Tom takes a couple of days off from work and fixes the problem! Why did he take so long - was he enjoying washing the dishes in the bathtub? And if Goldie is so short of cash, why not take out a loan from her best friend, Marla, who is loaded? Then, protective police husband Tom is not concerned that Goldie drives around Colorado in snow storms with bald tires - ? And then, after an accident, just says "be careful" when she goes out again? This is so unrealistic and unbelievable that I laughed out loud. The plot was silly and contrived - more than usual, and there is nothing new with Arch - same old stuff - and Goldie has no new ways of handling him either - and I'm confused about the time frame - they act like it's years since Arch's dad "The Jerk" got incarcerated but has Arch gotten any older in this time? Even the recipes didn't excite me as much. Come on, Diane, you can do better!
on March 22, 2000
As an avid fan of D.M.D. and Goldy Bear Korman Schultz, I have waited for this book since September when I first learned of it's pending release. Unfortuately, my excitement upon receiving htis newest offering was short-lived. Why has Kathleen Druckman changed her nanme to Eileen? Did the editor miss this sudden change? Perhaps they were confused with "The Main Corpse"'s Eileen Tobey? Actually, re-reading the books in this, one of my favorite, series has brought to light multiple discrepancies between books. Next, they will try to tell us that Keely is Marla's maiden name. Sheesh! How much bad Karma can one person have? Goldy has to be one of the unluckiest people. What did she do in her past life? Just once, I wish they would be financially solvent and out from under the Jerk's menacing shadow. Julian was distressingly absent, for the majority of the book. Apparently, Maguire has fallen off the face of the earth as well, after such an enthusiastic foray into the world of crime-fighting. Why introduce so many new people, when old relationships are still unresolved. And just for the record, the Earring King gentleman in the health store in "The Grilling Season" was named Edgar. He also decided to change his name to Barton Reed with no explanation. Here's hoping the next offering will "measure up".
on May 29, 2000
This is the first book I have read by D. Mott and most likely the last. Unless a book is absolutely awful, I always make an attempt to finish it. I was determined to read Tough Cookie based on the positive reviews I had read. And I did finish it. But it took me more than 6 weeks! I think the reason why it took so long was because the book just rambled; in a nutshell, it was boring. For those of you who have run into the same problem, just hand in there. Around chapter 20 things start getting better. And by chapter 23, you can close the book and congratulate yourself for your perseverance.
on November 16, 2001
I was very pleased with this book. I put off buying it, based on my disappointment with some of her recent books and on the early lackluster reviews. This book was back to what I expect from DMD. A good story, characters that I care about, and great recipes, particularly the chocolate chunk/tart-cherry cookies! True, her son is a bit sullen, but I don't find it to be out of character for a 16 year old boy.