1,265 Reviews
 (1,054)

5.0 out of 5 stars A comment on the product
While a Lord of the Rings fanatic myself, I don't see a reason to write an extensive commentary on the trilogy. If you want a review on the book there are more than sufficient amounts of widely varied opinions below my own that should satiate one's curiosity as to the virtues (or lack thereof) of Tolkien's most acclaimed work.

I feel it more important to note...
Published on Oct. 11 2006 by S. Peters

1.0 out of 5 stars This Edition is a Disgrace!
Published on Nov. 6 2000 by Robert S. Truesdell

5.0 out of 5 stars A comment on the product, Oct. 11 2006
S. Peters (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Paperback)

I feel it more important to note that the item you will be receiving is NOT the one portrayed in the image, but rather a boxset of the three individual novels from the relatively recent Harper Collins reprinting. These three novels are the mass market stylized black ones which have a ring of yellow, red or green on the covers, distinguishing one novel from the next, as well as the glossy black background markings. Unfortunately, I had ordered this item thinking that it was a different printing (due to cover art) that I didn't yet possess and upon receiving the product, I was a little put out to discover that I now have two identical boxsets of black covers. The second will still make a great gift for someone else, but you should be aware that this item is inconsistent with the picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive Edition, Nov. 15 2004
Michael R. Zwarun "phenker" (Thornhill, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
As an owner of numerous editions, I welcome this latest revision in honour of the 50th anniversary. The soft leather cover is quite nice to the touch and the printing quality is superlative. The numerous revisions to the text are welcome and the two-coloured printing in spots is similar to the deluxe editions from 30 years ago.
If you desire an excellent edition at a very affordable price, this is the one to get. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Edition is a Disgrace!, Nov. 6 2000
Robert S. Truesdell (Costa Mesa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of The Rings (Hardcover)
This is not a critique of Tolkien's work; rather it is a condemnation of Houghton Mifflin's hardcover boxed set. Thirty years after first reading "The Lord of the Rings" I decided to read it again. Besides the engrossing and detailed story, I had a renewed interest in the technical aspects of Tolkien's craft and his use of the English language. I am not disappointed and I am enjoying the reading immensely.
I bought the Hardcover Boxed edition published October, 1988, by Houghton Mifflin Co (Trd); ISBN: 0395489326 ; because I wanted a high quality, permanent copy with good typesetting and larger print. When I received this particular edition I was shocked at the extremely poor quality of print and generally poor quality of every aspect of the presentation. In two of the volumes the maps are incorrectly bound so that they are impossible to unfold. It is not even possible to cut the map out of the book because important parts of the middle of it have been sewn up in the binding.
But the damning point of this edition is the printed page. Every single page has both drop outs and extra ink everywhere. The printing weight varies from page to page, at times fading to a medium gray, at other times a dense bold face. I am not exaggerating when I proclaim that most paperbacks are printed more carefully and more clearly than this.
Buy the books, read them and enjoy them. But benefit from my misfortune and stay far far away from this edition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but *not* leather binding, Feb. 9 2010
mcewin "mac" (St. John's, NL, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
Only an balrog could object to an revised 50th anniversary edition, with corrections beyond those in the the standard revised version. BUT...

This edition is *not* "leather bound:" it's a less-than-ordinary hardcover binding with paper-thin faux-leather glued over paper boards. The bookmark ribbon breaks the binding. Signatures are glued rather than sewn together, not held together by the 'leather', but glued onto the paper end sheets, which are separated from the paper spine. Poor production generally: end papers badly centred, more than a little random glue and rubber cement on the covers that really mars the appearance. [See annotated Customer Image #2]. Reviewers elsewhere have commented on uneven type quality; this 2nd printing does not have that problem.

It's an OK one-volume edition, given the revisions. *Not* a 'collectible', definitely not worth the CDN$86 list, barely worth the discounted $56 given the disappointment factor. Don't give this as a gift to a Tolkien fan, expecting rapture. I kept mine for the revisions, first-time readers look elsewhere.

Amazon: please *stop* advertising this edition as 'leather bound': it is *serious* misrepresentation of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars From one Tolkien fan to another ..., Dec 18 2004
Deena (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
For anyone who is a true fan of Professor Tolkien's works, this is a must-have book. The quality of the pages is fabulous and the case and cover are first-class. I have the paperback version of the book, which I will continue to use for reading purposes ... This beautiful 50th edition book needs to be put on your bookshelf on display. It is a collector's edition that will be passed on from generation to generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Edition, Nov. 17 2004
By A Customer
This is a wonderful edition if you are a LOTR fan. The pages are very thin, and are lined with gold trim giving it a delicate sophisticated style. Because the pages are so thin, the book itself isn't thick and heavy like other LOTR volumes that encompasses the trilogy. The book also comes housed in a black leather case that has Tolkien's symbol on its cover and on its spine. This version exudes in understated elegance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful memories - nice to have on CD, Aug. 21 2004
Back in the late 1970's, in an era when radio drama was disappearing from public radio, the American prodcution of "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" were created with a full cast of voice actors along with music and sound effects. Reminiscent of the radio dramas of the 1940's and 50's, these productions were usually aired on Sunday afternoons, when a family could listen and enjoy the week's story. Released on Jabberwocky Audio on cassette tapes, I remember the Christmas when I received the entire collection of Jabberwocky's stories on tape. From "The Hobbit" to "Alice in Wonderland" to "The Red Badge of Courage," all were classic tales. They even re-released on cassette some of the original radio productions, such as "War of the Worlds" and "The Gift of the Magi." These stories were designed to get the listener interested and promote reading the books the productions were based on. They were not designed for an adult audience, but rather for children and families to share. Wonderfully edited and masterfully performed, many modern audiences find these old productions a little silly or even perhaps dated, but play it for a child, and they will listen in rapture, just as I did 25 years ago when they were new. Of all my collection of the Jabberwocky tapes, "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" are the only ones that I have trouble playing today, because they have been played so many times over the years that they are worn out. We would play them in the car on road trips, I would play them in my room while putting together a puzzle, and I played them for my friends, who enjoyed them as much as I did. I am delighted to have it on CD to listen to over and over again. At seven years of age, I had not yet read the books when I first listened to the tapes. But the tapes were perfect for a small girl just getting interested in reading. If only all the rest of the old radio dramas were also on CD! I would buy them all. It was unfortunate to come to this website and see the poor reviews written by people who have no understanding of the history of the production or what demographic it was originally intended for. I look forward to the day when I can play these CD's for my own children and see the wonder and delight in their faces when they hear the same stories that I grew up with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being Part of a Great Quest Makes Frodo Immortal, June 17 2003
Edith Harvath (Buena Park, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
I just finished reading "The Lord of the Rings" and am trying to gather my thoughts about it. It is long! And there are parts that are boring. But there are parts that are soaring and beautiful and bring tears to your eyes. Elves, dwarves, hobbits, wizards, and monsters of various sorts fill the pages as Frodo, Sam, Pippin and Merry wind their way to the Crack of Doom to rid the world of the ring that would give ultimate power to the evil lord. The creative imagination of J.R.R. Tolkien boggles the mind as the reader becomes involved in episode after episode of danger and intrigue, such as the attempts of Gollum to steal the ring, the giant spider that would crush the life out of Frodo, and the orcs and black riders and other strange enemies that are constantly appearing out of nowhere to threaten the hobbits' mission. Filled with folklore, magic and enchantment, "The Lord of the Rings" also speaks to the need we all have to participate in a great quest, to rise above our ordinary existence and do a great service for mankind. We identify with Frodo, an average middle-aged hobbit, who, like his Uncle Bilbo before him (in "The Hobbit"), enjoyed his peace and quiet and comforts, and yet, when he was selected to go on this amazing quest, through no choice of his own, rose to the occasion and became immortal.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for the book under the cover, 4 for the edition...., April 11 2002
....under the publisher;s constraints, in the land of Houghton-Mifflin, where the profits lie.
Most people think this superb book, which is popularly abbreviated LOTR, pronounced "Loater", is pretty darn good, a Jungian archetype in its own right. Some people criticize the slow development, and the various included songs and poetry as being archaic, and the journey through the marshes as being depressing, but they miss part of the point - this is literature influenced and honoring older styles. The MTV generation should consider learning to slow down and savour things. I cannot contribute anything particularly original to a review of this book as a literary work.
However - on the edition: One caution: The boxed red-leather bound collector's edition, (echoing the fictional "Red Book of Westmarch", the mythical preserved source of the story) has one jarring flaw. It lacks the much enlarged, detailed map, showing Gondor, Rohan, and western Mordor, normally found in the third volume (The Return of the King, ROTK) in the individual-volume editions. That map greatly aids readers in following of the events of ROTK, and it is worth one's while to have a regular hardback or paperback edition handy in order to have access to this map.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, April 21 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Audio CD)
Very nice. The best radio-drama I've ever listened to, topping even the immortal Star Wars Radio Trilogy. Once again, this is a RADIO-DRAMA, NOT an unabridged reading, so don't be a moron and blast this set cause it wasn't what you expected.

The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings Book 3) (Audio Cassettes)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.01