4.0 out of 5 stars my basic source book, Feb. 9 2002
lorraine anne davis (zurich, switzerland) - See all my reviews
I am the Curator of the Pfeifer Collection of Classical American Photography in Zürich, Switzerland and previously to this, the Assistant Director of the Paul Strand Archive. I have been writing about photography since 1985. Since it was published, I have used Rosenblum's book extensively. It is the first source book I go to when doing my research.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, Feb. 22 2003
This book is used as a text for a history of photography course at Idaho State University. It is an excellent book and the pictures are reproduced beautifully. When I saw the book on the shelf, I thought I would have to pay at least $100 for it. I was happily surprised to find out how inexpensive it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb! by fermed, April 13 2001
Fernando Melendez "fermed" (San Diego, California USA) - See all my reviews
I have owned a copy of this book for several years and it still gets used with the frequency it deserves. I confess having been quite ignorant about the history of photography: it seemed the type of record I would not be particularly interested in (old photos are too old, and new ones are in the daily paper); but my attempt to read Susan Sontag's book ON PHOTOGRAPHY demanded precisely the nearby presence of a reference such as this one, and so I came to own my copy. The book is very thorough, deeply scholarly, and broadly based. If it has to do with the record of photography as culture it is likely to be found here. I treasure it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, April 11 1999
By A Customer
The book is an outstanding and thorough history of the photographic process, equipment, photographers and styles from Niepce's first photos through color photographs from the 1980's. A very complete survey, especially of the photographers with lots of examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, March 14 1998
By A Customer
I found this book absolutely enthralling, and especially the stunning selection of early photographs. A remarkable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is just one of the must-have's in life., Aug. 24 1999
By A Customer
It's just the basics, put plainly and simply for everyone to absorb

A World History of Photography
A World History of Photography by Naomi Rosenblum (Paperback - Jan. 29 2008)
CDN$ 45.00 CDN$ 28.35