5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction to Web Usability
If there's a book to use when introducing someone to the ideas of usability on the Web, I'd have to say that I think this is it. Not Nielsen, and not Cooper (at least not to start with). Steve Krug's "Don't Make Me Think" has the most no-nonsense and easy-to-follow approach I think I've ever seen, and best of all, he makes SENSE.

First of all, Krug...
Published on June 23 2004 by Rich Stoehr

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading But Has Serious Flaws
Mr. Krug thoughtfully points out usability issues that every web developer should be aware of, and his points are well-considered ones. But there are some serious flaws. To begin with is his definition of "usability" -- usability for whom? Mr. Krug completely ignores web accessibility issues for persons with disabilities. The web-viewing public he is concerned with have...
Published on Oct. 31 2002 by Robert Roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 423 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingeniously Obvious, May 20 2004
Mike (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Make Me Think! A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability (Paperback)
I have been either programming or designing functionality for websites for almost 10 years. This book was the wake up call I needed. I can honestly say it has completely changed the way I think about what I do. While most of what is in the book does seem obvious, sometimes it takes having someone tell you these things to realize their importance. I like this book so much I recommended it to everyone I work with and picked up all of the books in the recommended further reading section. All I can say is read this book if you are a designer, developer, or business analyst!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple & worth to collect!, May 3 2004
Monika (Bangkok, Thailand) - See all my reviews
I'll make it simple, like this book's title :)
1. GREAT BOOK! Worth to collect if you're someone involved in web design
2. Easy to read, both the language & the lay out
3. Good for professionals both amateurs
So? What're you waiting for?
Monika Tanu
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading for a tight time scale, April 16 2004
I loved this book, it was simple to read, funny, and informative. Not only have I used it for my University degree, I've used the principles in my work too!
Highly reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, April 8 2004
Michael Lugassy (Ra'anana, Israel) - See all my reviews
If you are just starting out on web usability - this book is a great jumpstart.
If you are only planning to buy one book on web usability, and don't know which one to get - get this.
Whatever you do, get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 5 2004
Michael Liu "SpyGuy" (SF Bay Area, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Well written: concise and to the point. A quick--yet highly informative--read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy talk must DIE!, March 15 2004
I work for a small business that constantly redesigns our websites because management, marketing and development can't decide on a single aspect of our website. Everyone thinks their own ideas are the fruit of eden so all we do is talk in circles for hours on end. I found this book very helpful (especially with the political problems within my company) because it cuts out the "I think blah blah is best because I'm the coolest person in the world and my opinions are better than yours" and gets you focused on "this is what works best because it actually works for real people". This book can give you actual support behind your opinions in a meeting about a website because everything is based on usability. Web navigation, layout, instructions and concise content are a few examples of topics covered.
My favorite quote of the book is: "Happy talk must die." I absolutely worship this short section of the book in which Steve Krug explains how happy balk is like a voice in the back of your head saying "blah blah blah blah blah..." Seriously, maybe 80% of my company's website is this BS "happy talk" which has no relevant content or beef to helping our customers or selling our own products. Happy talk is superfluous babble that wastes time and confuses and frustrates web users.
All in all, I think this is a great read (I think it took me about 2 1/2 hours) I recommend it for web designers and web project managers, as well as other individuals that have a large personal stake in a website. I am starting my own company with is heaviliy web-based, and I will be applying many of the topics in this book toward it.
My ownly caveat is that this book is a bit brief - although the author appeared to have written it this way. I would have liked more information on navigation and examples on service-based industries where companies try to sell solutions to customers rather than physical products.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Web Designer's Bible!!, Feb. 13 2004
Wendy G. "Wendy G." (Perrysburg, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Steve Krug knows what he's talking about. This book not only provides the "musts" of every good website but is thoroughly entertaining and very easy reading. Anyone who has anything to do with creating and managing websites should understand and apply the guidelines and principles from this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quit wasting time listening to the "experts" and read this, Feb. 9 2004
G. Wayne Clayton (Mishawaka, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Quit wasting time listening to the "experts" and find out yourself with this book
Couple of great points--
We don't read pages. We scan them.
Sad but true...(sad for those who labor hours over graphics and sadder for those bustin' their nut to write web friendly and readable copy)
The exception as Krug points out are news stories, reports, or product descriptions. "But even then, if the document is longer than a few paragraphs, we're likely to print it out because it's easier and faster to read on paper than on a screen." I found that out when my magazine -AboutBizz Magazine decided to put our print magazine online. We spent months redesigning [...] (I wish I would've found Steve's book two years ago when we started the redesigns -- it would've saved us hours and hours of waste!) We find that our printer friendly pages are always the most accessed pages.
He states that we scan because we're usually in a hurry and we're really only interested in a fraction of what's on the webpage. We only look for what matches our interests and the rest of it is ignored. He does a great job of proving this by showing HOW the eye scans your webpage --(If you don't have your logo in the top right corner after reading this then you must pass go and cannot collect your $200.)
Krug has another "Fact of Life" where he states We don't figure out how things work. We muddle through it.
I wholeheartedly agree. I for years have referred to this as the "scrunch factor". We've all done it...it's when you see or read something, and if you don't quit "get it" or understand what they message conveyed is or can't connect the dots in your minds eye, then you scrunch -- your forehead wrinkles, eyebrows drop, eye's look critical -if you're married then you've possibly seen this look from your spouse ;)
Of the most value is where Steve describes how you can run your own cheap and inexpensive focus study group using a few people, a number of choice questions, and a simple camcorder. After reading this, you will walk away realizing that ANYONE can do their own research and have real answers to how people their website.
It reminded me of a passage out of the classic book, TESTED ADVERTISING METHODS by John Caples. Early on in the book Caples talks about how in years to come who more advertisers will use more scientific methods to get better results with their ads. He talks about how every person had an opinion on what works...long copy, short copy, headlines, no headlines, sketches, etc..
Let me quote the book,
"Not long after that I began to work on mail order advertising. Each advertisement was tested. Results were tabulated. Each advertisement and each publication had to prove itself in actual sales.
I know now that much of the talk (of other people) I heard was just talk. Too often, the ad men were stating opinions, not facts. And in many cases, the opinions were not even the boiled-down opinions of a large group of people. They were personal opinions.
If the real foundation of those opinions could be discovered by psychoanalysis, it would be laughable in many cases. An artist might favor blue backgrounds in advertisements because blue was his mothers favorite color. A copywriter might recommend short copy because his wife once said, 'I would never read all that small print, and I don't think anybody else would, either.'..."
If you are in the midst of designing your website, or trying to get someone to pay attention to it, you will find plenty of "experts" telling you what works. Remember what Caples says, keep my words in mind, do yourself a large favor, go out and buy "Don't Make Me Think! A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability" by Steve Krug and find out YOURSELF what works. It's a no-brainer.
Pros:
You'll never find in another book this great inexpensive method to do focus study research
Cons:
Wish he would have given examples how the eye scans applies to HTML email
The Bottom Line:
Use the information found on creating your own focus study -- & you may change the way your site looks...Why? Because the USER will tell you what really is working.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Web Usability book!, Jan. 22 2004
Kevin Airgid "Kevin Airgid" (Tecumseh, Ontario) - See all my reviews
I am a co-author of a Flash usability book. (so I am more than an average usability reader fyi) Steve's book is excellent. The title "don't make me think" also applies to his book, it's short and to the point. This book should be required reading for all web designers out there. This book is so well done, it could sit beside your computer and be a quick reference. I really like the images and diagrams, very helpful. This book gives one a snap shot of the basic's of usability. Excellent work! highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely terrific stuff!, Dec 19 2003
By A Customer
I am in charge of two websites: one for my small business, the other for a professional association. Both websites will undergo a revamp soon, and I wanted to get smarter about web design.
This book, recommended to me by a web designer,is absolutely terrific. It's clearly written and covers everything I need to know. Most importantly, Steve really shares his expertise with complete generosity.
Whether you're designing a site, or will use a professional designer, this book is a must-read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 423 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa76cc420)

Don't Make Me Think! A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
Don't Make Me Think! A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability by Steve Krug (Paperback - Oct. 13 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.12