boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Auto Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on January 8, 2001
Like the first reviewer, I ordered this book while it is still not published. I have read the other PHP books and I was eager to get this book that will show me how to write a webbased email system.
Imagine my surprise when I tore open the book and found that it was more of an installation manuals for Linux, PHP, MySQL and IMP rather than a programming guide. Chapter 1 was a diaster as I don't even know what's going on because it probably uses material in Chapter 3 to 5, Chapter 2 is where you are surposed to go and download the files, chapter 3 went off into never never land, 'explaining' commands of MySQL which I have no ideas what the author was talking about.
And Half the book was Appendix A on PHP.
If I wanted a history book and an installation manual and a quick reference to PHP I would have bought them seperately.
Summary, the book did not even come close to what it promised. I hope the author or Que would at least accept a refund for publishing an outdated, useless paperweight
on February 16, 2001
This has to be the worst programming book I have ever read. The code will be over the head of a novice without explanation, and for the experienced PHP coder a waste of time.
I purchased this book thinking it would be good for some help on a project I am working on, and it was... it helped keep a number of papers from blowing around on my desk. If you are looking for a book to help you with PHP and/or MySQL, this is the last book I would ever recommend to you. There are other books available on Amazon that would be a much better place for people at any level of experience.
I wish I could actually charge the author for having read this one, because it did waste alot of time, so dont waste yours.
on June 5, 2001
Since reading (and returning) this book, I discovered a miracle product that makes this book redundant -- there's no reason to spend a day or more installing PHP and MySQL when you can buy software that does it automatically in less than 10 minutes. There's a company called Abriasoft (.com for their website) that makes a CD that will install MySQL, PHP, Apache, and other such programs on your computer within 5 minutes. Awesome! It will install in either Windows or Linux. I'm a beginner in PHP, and could no more install these programs myself than fly, but it was a cinch with Abriasoft. I know I probably sound like an ad, but I have no connection with ABriasoft except for eternal gratitude!
on January 5, 2001
I was rather excited when Amazon alerted me on this book. I had been looking for a book which would help me with developing a web-based email application for ages.
I was extremely disappointed when I finally received the book. It was totally misleading!
If you are looking for a book to understand what tools and software is required for developing web based applications then you might find it useful but then again any MySql and PHP book will explain.
It unfortunately does not take you under the hood to see how the MySql database is designed/created or writing the necessary PHP code to integrate it all.
on January 7, 2001
This book was a major disappointment. I had expected to gain some knowledge on how to administrer a site with a bunch of users in the form of a mailhotel, and perhaps get to know some of the tricks of MySQL. All it does is to show how Maxfield solved _one_ particular problem.
I can't think of any group to which this book should give any benifit. Experienced programmers won't learn anything new. New programmers wont get the point, and the appendix is not better than Core PHP Programming... I wish I could have my money back...
on August 2, 2001
I was really disappointed by this book because the majority of this book is about setting up IMP, MySql, and Php on a generic Linux box.
I was hoping for some good Php and MySql coding information. There are 2 whole chapters dedicated to IMP. Which is a real waste for most users that are not interested in running IMP.
Over all I rate the book as poor. The last half of the book is a MySQL and PHP reference which was another disappointment. I would not recommend this book to anyone.
on January 13, 2001
I bought this book before publication, being seduced by the title. I expected a beginners book with tutorials. Instead, it seems to be an abbreviated distillation of PHP and mysql syntax manuals, along with a very lengthy discussion of how to install PHP etc. Nothing in this book is helpful. For the beginner, get PHP Fast & Easy PHP Web Development by Meloni....lots of good tutorial examplies integrating PHP.
on December 20, 2000
I had this book on order for several months before it was published. I was excited when I heard that Amazon had finally shipped the book. Boy was I disappointed when I finally got a chance to look through this book.
I was under the impression that this book would teach me to create a web based email server. All it really does it walk you step by step through installing IMP.
on May 25, 2001
This book is an absolute waste of both your time and your money. It basically contains the PHP and MySql manuals available for free from their websites.
There is virtually no actual content from the author to help you learn PHP or MySQL.
If you are looking for a good book on PHP and MySql check out PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling, Laura Thomson
on April 20, 2001
Yes,247 pages out of 347 pages of this lame book is a complete reprint of php manual,which you can find on for free.
The first 111 pages about mysql ,php ,apache and imp are just reprints of their installation manuals,which are also freely available online.
I have no ideas why QUE publishes this kind of "book".