5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference for PHP
This book could not possibly be better for simply looking up syntax. If you already know how to program this is perfect. The only weak point is the printf format syntax, though even that is decent.
Published on May 29 2002 by Jimmy Reiher

3.0 out of 5 stars A guide for setting up a development platform
Maxfield did a good job of explaining how to set up and integrate MySQL, Apache, and PHP, creating a development platform under UNIX. But Appendix A, which is more than half the book, is not much more helpful than the PHP Manual.
Published on Dec 17 2000 by Alan Heffernan

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good book, Jan. 6 2003
PHP Newbie (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL & PHP From Scratch (Paperback)
If you want to learn PHP & MySQL, you will NOT find in this book. Much of it is reference. I bought it used for about a third of its price, but still feel a waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference for PHP, May 29 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars MySQL and PHP From Scratch, Oct. 31 2001
This review is from: MySQL & PHP From Scratch (Paperback)
This book is not very helpful. It spends one third of its content to cover specific installations, almost other two thirds for an appendix of PHP term listing.
I don't think it delivers the purpose as its titile says.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not live up to its title, Aug. 22 2001
Adam Daniel (Antigua, West Indies) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL & PHP From Scratch (Paperback)
I bought this book hoping to learn PHP and MySQL from scratch....that didn't happen.
This is not a tutorial, unless you want to set up a web based e-mail client that is.
I do use this book as a syntax reference quite often but I could have printed that out from the web.
Save your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Title should be IMP, and a little php and mysql., Aug. 2 2001
This review is from: MySQL & PHP From Scratch (Paperback)
I was really disappointed by this book because the majority of this book is about setting up IMP, MySql, and Php on a generic Linux box.
I was hoping for some good Php and MySql coding information. There are 2 whole chapters dedicated to IMP. Which is a real waste for most users that are not interested in running IMP.
Over all I rate the book as poor. The last half of the book is a MySQL and PHP reference which was another disappointment. I would not recommend this book to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whoops i thought it was a programing book!, July 7 2001
This review is from: MySQL & PHP From Scratch (Paperback)
Suddenly i realized after reading the first 20 pages of this non-sense that the only good use of it would be kindling for a fire! This is THE worst book I have ever read. I wasted my [money] on this fire-starter when i could have gotten a wood log for [less], what a [waste]!

1.0 out of 5 stars Get Abriasoft Instead, June 5 2001
This review is from: MySQL & PHP From Scratch (Paperback)
Since reading (and returning) this book, I discovered a miracle product that makes this book redundant -- there's no reason to spend a day or more installing PHP and MySQL when you can buy software that does it automatically in less than 10 minutes. There's a company called Abriasoft (.com for their website) that makes a CD that will install MySQL, PHP, Apache, and other such programs on your computer within 5 minutes. Awesome! It will install in either Windows or Linux. I'm a beginner in PHP, and could no more install these programs myself than fly, but it was a cinch with Abriasoft. I know I probably sound like an ad, but I have no connection with ABriasoft except for eternal gratitude!

1.0 out of 5 stars Can I give it ZERO stars?, May 25 2001
This review is from: MySQL & PHP From Scratch (Paperback)
This book is an absolute waste of both your time and your money. It basically contains the PHP and MySql manuals available for free from their websites.
There is virtually no actual content from the author to help you learn PHP or MySQL.
If you are looking for a good book on PHP and MySql check out PHP and MySQL Web Development by Luke Welling, Laura Thomson

1.0 out of 5 stars $23.99 for a free php manual,are you stupid ?, April 20 2001
This review is from: MySQL & PHP From Scratch (Paperback)
Yes,247 pages out of 347 pages of this lame book is a complete reprint of php manual,which you can find on php.net for free.
The first 111 pages about mysql ,php ,apache and imp are just reprints of their installation manuals,which are also freely available online.
I have no ideas why QUE publishes this kind of "book".

1.0 out of 5 stars And the point is?, Feb. 16 2001
John P. Hoke "Random Non-Sequitors" (North East Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MySQL & PHP From Scratch (Paperback)
This has to be the worst programming book I have ever read. The code will be over the head of a novice without explanation, and for the experienced PHP coder a waste of time.
I purchased this book thinking it would be good for some help on a project I am working on, and it was... it helped keep a number of papers from blowing around on my desk. If you are looking for a book to help you with PHP and/or MySQL, this is the last book I would ever recommend to you. There are other books available on Amazon that would be a much better place for people at any level of experience.
I wish I could actually charge the author for having read this one, because it did waste alot of time, so dont waste yours.

MySQL & PHP From Scratch
MySQL & PHP From Scratch by Wade Maxfield (Paperback - Nov. 17 2000)
CDN$ 36.99 CDN$ 29.59