5.0 out of 5 stars A++ Execellent hands on intermediate/advanced level book
With previous experience (v7.0) I found this book an excellent guide to the added functionality of v2000.
It's concisely, cleanly written in a straightforward no-nonsense style. The lay out is logical and well planned with the book building nicely as you move through it.
Published on May 18 2001 by Steve Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
You know one of those reference books you buy but no matter how often you look at it it never has the answer to your questions? Yes? Well this book is one of those.
Published on Aug. 20 2002 by Mel Mullen

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Aug. 20 2002
Mel Mullen (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Programming by Example (Paperback)
As a professional software developer I never had much use for Que books - thick paper, too much white space, and big fonts. This book is no exception. I made the mistake of buying it on the strength of the reviews at Amazon but it lives up to the Que tradition of being a book full of basic information, most of which is available in the SQL server docs. Sure it has lots of examples but little that is very enlightening.
I didn't get the impression here that this was a basic book but it is. It is going to be a disappointment to you if you, like me, already know SQL/DBMS programming but from another database product. If I was starting out then maybe I'd find it of use, but a one-stop answer to all you SQL Server problems it most definitely is not. If I ever find it useful I will come straight back here and change this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars A++ Execellent hands on intermediate/advanced level book, May 18 2001
I have also found it deep enough to fill some gaps and clarify areas that I previously felt I knew very well.
The main advantage of the book to my mind though is that it does exactly what it says on the cover - it provides pratical examples of all the concepts discussed (I have found that previous books have often left me feeling "OK, but lets see it in action!!!" including Soukup & Delaney's excellent "Inside SQL Server 7".
All round an excellent book, highly recommended at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent, the best you can buy !!!, Oct. 30 2002
ENRIQUE (Clonskeagh, Dublin Ireland) - See all my reviews
I have been working more than four years with SQL Server, since version 6.5. In my work I have to cover all the funcionality in SQL Server as I am developer, administrator and so on. I have few SQL books as I find is quite simple to find almost anything in the BOLs.
But this book is the best I have ever seen to get into SQL Server and improve your skills, from the point of view of a developer there is not better book. It is also a incredible source of information for experts, it really explores all the new features you can find in SQL Server 2000.
I also know the two authors's work as they help many people in the SQL forums and I can say they are really good.
Enjoy it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, Aug. 1 2001
Frank (Seattle, Wa) - See all my reviews
I have finally found an author and book that are outstanding in the T-SQL arena. I have been searching for the last 2 years for a book I could teach an Introductory College level course from and wallla ... here it is....
My students are elated at the ease of navigation. The book is extremely well written. The test scores have nearly doubled since I switched to this book. The students are retaining more information and I even learned a few more tricks. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Solid Intro to SQL Server Programming, May 30 2002
Daniel C. Upton (Carlsbad, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
Although not entirely sufficient as preparation for the SQL Server Design exam, it certainly helped me along that path, and in a much more enjoyable way than many of those dry certification-prep books which assume significant prior knowledge and do little in the way of skill-building. This book is also excellent for non-certification people wanting to learn to program SQL Server. I found it to be authoritative and very readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Great Examples, Jan. 3 2002
When we needed to get up to speed on SQL Server 2000, we wrestled with the pros and cons of several books before deciding on this one. And it has lived up to billing, provide clear concise instruction on the ins and outs of SQL Server 2000, with excellent examples to reinforce the concepts. For those new to SQL and SQL Server 2000 specifically, a must have!

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't think so, April 21 2004
By A Customer
There is nothing in this book that you cannot find in many readily available sources mostly the Books Online. I learned nothing from this book and neither would most people. After reading this book one thing is certain: These authors have never built truly complex Sql applications. If you are a beginner get this book. If not keep looking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., Aug. 16 2003
Maamoun Khalil (Beirut, Lebanon) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book for average/advanced programmers who
want to review and learn all about SQL Server 2000 basics with very good and very concise,very clear examples.I recommend this book for people preparing for the Microsoft 70-229 database design and implementation.A must READ. I thank the authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all-purpose SQL Server developer's book, March 16 2002
Joe Hornsby (Philadephia, PA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book at the same time I got Veria's book and this one is by far the better of the two. Where Rob's book just skims the surface of important topics, this book actually goes into the details. You can definitely tell these guys write real applications. Definitely a recommended buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference for any DBA, Dec 17 2001
John Madison "madjohnw" (United States) - See all my reviews
This book is an excellent reference for anyone needing assistance on stored procedures, triggers, cursors, or TSQL. The detail very good and the examples helpful. Pair this book with a good reference for administration, and the DBA library is complete.

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Programming by Example
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Programming by Example by Fernando Guerrero (Paperback - April 17 2001)
CDN$ 62.99 CDN$ 39.68