5.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypes at their best
In a day and age when politics absolutely shape our country, it's nice to see someone taking the time to point out all the idiosyncracies between the parties. Many people view this as a road movie, but you can't take it as that. If you look at it as a political farce, then you'll be thrilled. The road trip is a side-show within the comedy.
Jack Lemmon and James...
Published on July 15 2004 by Kyle Boreing

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So!
I like James Garner and Jack Lemmon but do not feel this was their best work. They are both ex-presidents whom we find doing various jobs after their bout in the White House. One writes books that no one reads, one does speeches that no one listens to, and of course they hate each other.
Published on Dec 21 2003 by Shirley Priscilla Johnson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stereotypes at their best, July 15 2004
Kyle Boreing (Cincinnati, OH, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
Jack Lemmon and James Garner are perfect as the republican and democrat (respectively) ex-presidents. Granted, the plot is far-fetched, but if you're looking for great jokes, this is a stop you'll be glad you made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fun movie!, May 16 2014
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
Had it for years in VHS format and now needed to upgrade to disc. Lots of laughs in this movie, great actors. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Right Seller!, April 27 2012
S. J. B. (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
The Right Seller in so many cases! This is what I'd say to everyone buying from this seller for sure!...Always on time, prompt, fair and satisfactory to say the least!...Also, the movie itself was excellent and reminded me we don't always need "raunch" to make us laugh, like they do so much these days!

4.0 out of 5 stars Comic SLEEPER with Muskrat Love to boot!, June 27 2004
Arthur F. McVarish (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
The same Reviewers who are kind to MY LIFE have missed the boat on this frenetic comic messterpiece. MY FELLOW AMERICANS is a funny ...sometimes archly funny...flick that blows pretense out of media-driven blowhard politics.James Garner--reviving his MAVERICK-cool persona--is former Democratic Prez,Matt Douglas. Jack Lemmon is arch rival,former Republican Prez,Russell Kramer.A banana bunch of classy supporting actors(including Lauren Bacall and Conehead Dan Aykroyd)keep the pot/plot bubbling with inane set pieces;wicked-wit dialogue;and a bogus story comprising multiple assassination attempts and enough scandal/nefarious conspiracy to glut-up Michael Moore.
That the plot is "pointless" is beside the point. The august majesty of THE PRESIDENCY is the Wallmart target taken for a satirical ride here,and it works. High point of MY FELLOW AMERICANS is that there is no high point in what amounts to sloppy collection of hysterical skits. Jack Heard(a wacky, decisively second string Vice-Prez)makes the MFA Sound Track a collector's item with his stirring(as Funeral valediction/hymn) rendition of soft-schlock rockers,AMERICA's goofy ballade: MUSKRAT LOVE. What more can discerning viewers want? Blue,Red or Indie Green;this load of Americana is yuk-filled shot-in-the-dark at POLs and their Homies everywhere.(50 stars minus 46)

4.0 out of 5 stars "Our dreams are our children.", April 11 2004
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
The story covers several years and three presidencies. First Lemmon, then Garner and now Aykroid. Vice President Ted Matthews (John Heard) is a dunce. Turns out rumors of a scandal are surfacing and the now president is having thoughts of pining the scandal on Lemmon who was president at the time. Joe Hollis (Wilford Brimley) the head of the opposition party wants to pin it on the present administration. Col. Paul Tanner will protect the secret at any cost. There are many more players, too numerous to mention. Seems that someone has determined that Lemmon and Garner are best dispatched. Will this happen? Can they clear their names? And not just who is behind the plot, but what is the plot? Watch out for Blinky.
This movie has a sound mystery base to get us through the twists and turns with lots of "who's behind it" moments. However the interaction between Garner and Lemmon is so much fun that sometimes we forget the plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not the greatest movie for these stars, Feb. 9 2004
Barry A. Hudson "Bari" (Lakewood, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
Lots of good laughs in this movie. My entire family enjoyed it and we have wildly varied tastes. Yes, some of jokes are a bit of a reach, but the movie never lags and it actually maintains a certain amount of suspense in addition to the humor. It's just a good simple popcorn and family movie. Goes to show that high school sex comedies aren't the only source of humor.

4.0 out of 5 stars We Need These Guys in the White House NOW!!!, Dec 22 2003
M. A. Newman "cellapie" (Washington D.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
I've always been a fan of both James Garner and Jack Lemmon but I had no idea they would have such great chemistry as they demonstrated here in MFA. Lemmon's character is a veiled George Bushie (not the current one, the one that actually got elected) and Garner is all but channeling Bill Clinton with a little LBJ thrown in. When these two opposing political dynamos are thrown together, they have to cooperate or they're dead meat thanks to the machinations of president Beldar Conehead (Dan Akyroyd to you and me!) and other corrupt ne'er do wells in the Federal Government, which, when you think about it is not that farfetched. These two screen legends share the screen perfectly and their characters are really fully developed. As someone who has always been interested in the presidency, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and personally I think it would've made a great TV series! Too bad we lost the great Jack Lemmon this year but his memory lives on in great movies like this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So!, Dec 21 2003
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
Thrown together by circumstances making them the bad guys, they run for their lives and are forced to see America through each others eyes and the eyes of the people.
I would like to say it is enemies made friends, but I'm not sure that is how this movie ended. I didn't like some of the talk that went on and didn't feel it needed to be as crude as it was, I felt it took away from the movie. However, the two men as usual do a fine job of portraying their characters, I will give them that much! I have seen better but I have seen worse!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, Aug. 29 2003
M. A. Miller (Rome, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
this movie is one of the greatest ever as a political science major i love it. I'm a Republican and I loved the line "Don't Fall Into The trap Democrats Are Full Of Crap" this movie has every political stereyotype and I love it i watch it with my democrat friends and we love it watching it with the opposition makes this movie even better

4.0 out of 5 stars Rockford Files Meets Grumpy Old Men, July 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] (DVD)
OK, this isn't Shakespeare, but sometimes you're just not in the mood for Shakespeare. If you have loved Jack Lemmon & James Garner as much as I have for so many years, they won't disappoint you. Yes, the humor is a little crude (I don't know how they got them to say some of those things!), but it is still an overall very enjoyable movie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import]
My Fellow Americans (Full Screen) [Import] by Peter Segal (DVD - 1997)
CDN$ 9.93 CDN$ 4.02