5.0 out of 5 stars Great Novel....
I want to preface my review of "No Colder Place" by stating that this is the FIRST book I've read in the series, and that I quite enjoyed it, even though, at times, I felt.... That the book had some flaws.
Published on July 10 2003 by Serene Night

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish (zero stars)
Published on July 22 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Novel...., July 10 2003
This review is from: No Colder Place (Audio Cassette)
Bill Smith (yes, this is his real name), is a Private Investigator, hired to help a friend with a problem at a construction site with employee theft. Bill and his Chinese-American Partner Lydia (no readers we cannot forget that Lydia is Chinese, this is mentioned at least a half a dozen times), go on the job to investigate.
Employee theft, is just the tip of the iceberg, and as Bill and Lydia investigate, they uncover a sinister web of corruption and betrayal.
I really enjoyed the writing style of Ms. Rozan. Her female characters are especially well done. Bill on the other hand, seemed a bit.... Stereotypical. He has no love life, drinks, and smokes (his smoking is described again and again to the point of tedium), (PLEASE get this guy the patch), and just seems like every other tough-guy detective I've ever read... With one exception. Even though he's tough, he seems a tad.... Feminized. This isn't a bad thing, it just seems strange. Also, I couldn't understand why Bill was so reticent to admit his feelings for Lydia. It just seemed odd.
Overall, a great story. Well worth the read. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for more Rozan books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great-will appeal to hard boiled fans of the mystey genre, July 15 1997
This review is from: No Colder Place (Hardcover)

Chuck DiMathis asks fellow New York City private detective Bill Smith to take on a case that he was hired to solve, but has no time to work on. Crowell Construction is losing a vast load of supplies and equipment at an alarming rate for pilferage. Even a front loader has been stolen. A twenty-two years old construction worker has also vanished without a trace. Bill accepts the job and goes undercover, working as a brick mason at the company's current construction site. His sometimes partner Lydia Chin works in the front office as a secretary trying to learn what she can from an management/administration level.

The investigation turns ugly when the murdered corpse of the missing worker is found inside an elevator shaft. Soon after that the lead suspect takes a swan dive off the building during a contrived, well designed "rio
t". Lydia and Bill realize that someone has set them up as pawns in a chess game. Knowing that they are being maneuvered by a grandmaster does not stop the duo from trying to insure that justice occurs even though their
actions take them to places that put Bill and Lydia in grave danger.

NO COLDER PLACE is a hard boiled crime novel in the tradition of
McBain and McDermid. The term Black Noir was coined with a story like
this in mind. The tone of the novel is gritty and bleak as it reflects
the dark s ide of human nature. The only hope for Bill's redemption lies with
Lydia, a fact that the intrepid private investigator realizes but is
unable to act upon because he cannot shake his social lethargy. This
novel would make a great movie in the tradition of Marlow (THE BIG SLEEP or FAREWELL, MY LOVELY).

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book in a good series, Dec 28 1999
This is the fourth Rozan novel I have read (I am reading them in order) and it was very enjoyable. Rozan may not write truly excellent novels (five stars), but she consistently writes very good ones (four stars). This book would rate five stars if it wasn't for a few minor flaws. For example, after a worker is injured, Smith is the only one out of a large crowd of contruction workers who has the sense to apply basic first aid. That seemed a little unbelievable to me. Also, there is a final revelation at the end of the book that I thought would be something major but it wasn't, really. That is nitpicking, however. Bill and Lydia are very entertaining, as always. The other characters are interesting and well-developed, the plot is complex and believable and the dialogue is well-done. In my opinion, Rozan is definitely one of the best mystery writers in the business today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gratifying Read, Jan. 12 2000
This review is from: No Colder Place (Hardcover)
I've finally looped back and read No Colder Place, the only one of S J Rozan's books that I had managed to miss. I was not disappointed . I think what I enjoy so much about this author's work is the perspective that a major female author is once again bringing to the Mystery/Detective genre. Rozan brings a woman's interest in the nuances of interpersonal dynamics, and in No Colder Place, she combines that with her knowledge as an actual working architect. Not every author could get me thoroughly engaged in a murder mystery surrounding a construction site. But this one can - in fact, she actually put me in the gratifying position of feeling knowledgeable about what was happening in and around the construction site. And as always, Bill and Lydia are a wonderfully unique and complex pair of sleuths. I can't help myself - I LIKE these guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of S. J. Rozan ... so far, April 28 2001
No Colder Place was my introduction to S. J. Rozan's books (I have subsequently read all of her work), and it's a breathtakingly fine piece of writing. Of her two leading series characters, Bill is, by far, my favorite. This talented, clever, brooding, somewhat lovelorn man is a superb creation. Bill lives; he breathes audibly. When he sits down to his piano to learn a piece of music, you can almost hear the melancholy classical notes pouring into the atmosphere.
In this book, his undercover role as a bricklayer is so real that you can almost feel the ache in his spine and the soreness of his hands. It remains, to date, my favorite of Rozan's books. It has my highest recommendation. This is an author at top form, doing what she does best--giving us the wonderful Bill, deep in his element.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish (zero stars), July 22 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book based on some favourable on-line reviews but I didn't get past the first chapter. I suspect those other reviews were written either by the author or her friends and relatives. Apart from being badly written this book is written in the first person perspective and that character is supposed to be a rough and tough rigger working on a construction site. However it reads like a book written by a woman who is imagining what goes through the mind of such a guy rather than actually by a guy who can actually relate to these experiences. And that is in fact the case, the author is a woman named S.J.Rozan. However, I suspect that if she wrote a novel on a subject that she actually had some empathy for, it would still be terrible, as she can't write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, Nov. 20 1997
This review is from: No Colder Place (Hardcover)
This is the fourth in the Lydia Chin/Bill Smith series and I liked it as much as the first three. I like the way Rozan switches the point of view of each book, the first from Lydia's view the second from Bill's etc. It is a clever hook and works very well. The books (Concourse and No Colder Place) from Bill's view have a decidedly harder edge. Rozan keeps her characters fresh and sharp. Hope she continues for a long time!
Ree-views

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorry I waited!, Oct. 31 1999
This review is from: No Colder Place (Hardcover)
I didn't bother with this book, although it won the Anthony for Best Novel, because I'm not a construction worker or a New Yorker. Finally a friend demanded that I read it, and am I sorry I waited. Though set on a construction site, this book is about people, motives, and a good complex plot. Don't make my mistake -- read this book now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks to the customer reviews, I'm now a fan!, June 16 2000
I had never heard of Rozan before and had chosen this one based on the customer reviews...I was certainly not disappointed! Easy to read and easy into the characters, it was a fun and entertaining book.
Thanks Amazon for the customer reviews... I'm buying other Rozan books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Dennis Lehane!, Nov. 4 1999
This review is from: No Colder Place (Hardcover)
I picked up this book because I heard Dennis Lehane raving about Rozan's writing in an interview. He was right! Atmospheric, almost poetic images -- of a construction site! Convincing characters, too, and good gritty dialogue. And five other books in the series! Can't wait.

No Colder Place: A Bill Smith/Lydia Chin Mystery
No Colder Place: A Bill Smith/Lydia Chin Mystery by S. J. Rozan (Audio CD - July 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 19.91