4.0 out of 5 stars Hair
Published on June 23 2011 by Movie Crazy from Kitchener, On...

3.0 out of 5 stars it was a good effort
Published on March 20 2004 by adead_poet@hotmail.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Hair, June 23 2011
This review is from: Hair [Blu-ray] [Import] (Blu-ray)
Hair is a very enjoyable musical. I love the songs and they have excellent soloists singing some of my favourite songs from the movie. The only extra on the disc is a trailer of the movie. Would have been nice to have some sort of documentary on the making of this film. The sound was excellent DTS 5.1. However the BluRay picture quality was not consistent throughout the movie. Sometimes the picture was very grainy, sometimes very sharp, sometimes out of focus. Overall it was okay. It didn't take away from the enjoyment of the movie but when I buy blu-ray I expect the picture quality to be better than VHS and DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY EVOCATIVE OF THE ERA, Oct. 10 2013
Virginia Woolf "Bookworm" (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
I HAD SEEN IT AT THE TIME IT WAS MADE AND REMEMBERED IT QUITE DIFFERENTLY TO WHAT IT WAS.

LOVED THE MUSIC AND REALIZED THAT THERE WERE QUITE SERIOUS THEMES IN THE STORY.

HIPPIES WERE VERY EXOTIC THEN BUT NOW WE ARE ALL HIPPIES.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready for another generation, April 8 2004
Michelaneous by Michele (Sandy Point Resort, Northwoods Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
We showed this movie to our young daughters last night. Prompted by a growing sense of anti-war feelings we're experiencing with the daily reports of growing death tolls in Iraq, we felt it was appropriate. They were rapt. I think it was primarily the music and Twyla Tharp's choreography; however, the girls asked a lot of questions, and I think it gave them a little better understanding of what many teenagers felt during the Viet Nam War.
The movie version of this story is a worthy effort, made great by Milos Forman. The quality is not as I remembered it back when I saw it in the movie theater in 1980. And while our expectations of quality may have changed, our expectations of a good, entertaining film have not. Hair has grown into another generation of viewers who can appreciate it on many levels. It's worth another look.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good, real good., March 16 2001
Jonny L (Buck's Rock) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hair (VHS Tape)
THis is a really really good movie. If you have seen the show, I know how it can be disappointing, but the only reason it's different from the stage versious is because, well, it's not a stage. The director took advantage of the opportunities of film and changed the plot around. Aside from the altered plot it's a very good film and I really enjoy it. As long as you treat it entirely different from the show, it's very entertaining. The only change that really bothered me was how John Savage had short hair, but it wouldn't make sense if he had long hair I suppose. By the way, Treat Williams is very good in this film. See it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting film, June 23 2009
This review is from: Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
I am a huge fan of musicals, and while 'Hair' was good, it wasn't great. Entertaining but lacking in a few main ideas. I recommend it for people who like the Broadway show, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars hair, June 30 2004
This review is from: Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
the most underrated musical of our time. Anyone who loves great music will love this movie. A powerful score keeps the movies heart thumping throughout, definetly worth the wait to see on dvd.

3.0 out of 5 stars it was a good effort, March 20 2004
This review is from: Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
This is a prime example of a great director, Milos Forman (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus) making a film that doesn't quite pull together. It's a good effort though. Start with one of the great musicals of all time, Hair. It is one of those that needed to be put on film (like the more recent Chicago). But in this case it didn't quite transfer successfully to film. One problem I think was casting Treat Williams as Berger. The acting was a little off. The dialogue was a little off. And the musical numbers didn't quite mesh in with the film (like they do in Grease, Chicago, or Moulin Rouge). I applaud the effort by Forman, if not the finished project.

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie "grows" on you., March 16 2004
This review is from: Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
This movie got better every time I saw it. The title track. Hair, is a great song, and the acting and dancing skill displayed by the actors really takes it to a whole new level. This is a good example of the polar opposites experienced in the 1960's, namely the love in the streets and its stark contrast to the death and destruction in Vietnam.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but just not the same..., Jan. 30 2004
This review is from: Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
I am currently involved with a production of Hair, as the role of Claude Bukowski. Although this film is enjoyable in it's own right I didn't feel it captured the 60's like the show did. The movie not only looks straight out of 1979, the musical arrangements are straight out of 1979. I was horrified to hear some of my favorite songs sung to a disco beat, such as (Claude's song in the show, Bergers in the movie) I Got Life. The plot line also has no resemblence to the one in the show (for those who are sitting at home thinking the show really has not plot, it does...) The plot of the show is an underscore, the real intent is to show what the life of hippies were like, but there is a distinct plot, especially in Act II. This plot could have easily been accentuated for the film version yet it was completely thrown out. Throughout the entire movie, only three songs are sung by the same people as they are in the show. Also in the show Claude and Sheila are both hippies to begin with, Hud doesn't have a wife, Claude Sheila and Berger share an apartment and are involved in a love triangle, Sheila's the head of their tribes protests, Jeanie is obsessed with Claude and the audience is led to decide if the baby she's carrying is Claude's or not...Also in the movie they completely cut out the role of Crissy who sings Frank Mills, and they expanded the role of Dionne (the smallest named part in the show version) into Hud's wife. In the show all of the characters are either just out of high school or last year of high school. Also the show is about Claude's journey and him finding himself and at the end Claude finding himself dead in Vietnam not Berger. The movie is enjoyable in it's own right IF you are not looking for an accurate representation of the original show or the 60's as an era.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing film, Jan. 27 2004
This review is from: Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen) (DVD)
I first watched this film a few months ago because my mother recomended it. I may never see it again. Don't get me wrong I loved it, Hair's probably one of my favorite movies now, but even thinking about the movie makes me want to cry. It's the only movie I've ever cried during. Just listening to 'The Flesh Failures' sets me off.

Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen)
Hair (Widescreen/Full Screen) by Milos Forman (DVD - 2003)
CDN$ 69.91