4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginner series with interesting lessons, March 15 2002
Raymond L. Reavis (Lake Wylie, SC USA (Charlotte, NC metro area)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hal Leonard Bass Method - Complete Edition: Books 1, 2 and 3 Bound Together in One Easy-to-Use Volume! (Plastic Comb)
I recently signed up for weekly bass lessons at my local music store, and they sold me this 1st book out of this composite. I was about 1/2 way through book one when I saw this composite version with Accompanying CDs, and I decided to buy it here on Amazon.
The lessons can't be extremely exciting when you're just learning an instrument, but they have done a good job of choosing lessons that actually have some pretty interesting tunes from various genres of music. They have also interspersed shorter 8 measure excercises with occasional longer numbers of 25 or so measures. This helps the lessons seem less like "drills" and more like you're actually making progress.
When I received this version with the CDs, it made everything even better. To be able to play along with the full instrumentation to the songs in the book really helps, especially in forcing you to keep regular time, since you can't d r a a a a a g out a measure when the fingering gets tough.
I'm a drummer, but one who can read music (yes, there are a few of us), so I can't vouch for whether there is enough material to teach the uninitiated how to read music notation for time value, but I have picked up a reasonable amount of knowledge of reading music for pitch.

5.0 out of 5 stars The real method towards musicianship, Jan. 21 2011
After having tried various instruments throughout years (with and without teachers), I can tell this book is one of the best methods available. Each theory part is broken down to simple exercises and along learning bass techniques, you are learning the basic music notation theory. Each day, you can learn something new, and you never get bored, as you can see actual progress.
Another great thing is how the tracks are split on the CD. Some of you might find it trivial, but when a whole chapter is put on one single track, it becomes frustrating to have to fast-forward it to repeat an exercise. But this is not the case here, as each exercise is on a different track.
If you choose to buy this book, let me give you an advice: from the first pages, play every exercise with a metronome. It will train you to count and to keep the beat steady. As you will gain some experience with timing, try to turn off the metronome and count on your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginner Book, Feb. 25 2004
I got this for my 11 year old son. He has been playing acoustic and electric for about a year using the Hal Leonard Guitar Method Books 1-3 which he enjoyed. Now he wants to learn bass too, so naturally we looked at the Bass Method book. This book is great for a beginner. It starts out simple with lots of good exercises for each string and gradually gets more complicated.
We use Hal Leonard for a basic foundation. He works with his teacher and they combine this book with whatever other music he wants to play such as "Learn to Play Bass with Metallica" or his favorite CD's. I looked at other bass books but felt that this was the best for beginners. Also, do yourself a favor and get a metronome if you want to play bass!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Thumbs Up!!, Nov. 10 2010
Aaron Remisch (Canada) - See all my reviews
This is an awesome instructional book. I have been playing bass for 2.5 years and for most of it i have been learning how to read notes with bach's work. However, i recently stopped taking lessons, and my guitar teacher suggested this book if i wanted to keep learning. Obviously the beginning was extremely easy, but i still learned some stuff i never knew. I am about half way through and i am loving it, i play along to the CD and the book gives you multiple styles of music to play along to. I also like how it gets progressively harder, but the book still keeps the songs pretty short so you dont have to spend like an hour on 1 song. I would definitely recommend that people buy this whether they are learning or just want to practice a bit. I really enjoy it and best of all, the book was dirt cheap!

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good., May 17 2010
I bought this book before I ever even picked up a bass. I don't play guitar, so I'm very much an amature. I find it easy to follow. Pretty straight forward. How to tune, hold the bass, play it properly, then it dives right into method and reading music. I've only just begun, but so far so good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four thumbs up!, Oct. 16 2003
"jimmith67" (Burlington, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This book is great for a beginner to the bass. I agree with another reviewer that it might rely on the tablature a little too much, but I think for a beginner the tablature is very helpful. Don't become addicted to it though, or you'll never learn anything. Otherwise the book is great, along with the accompanying CD. It's much more fun to learn the bass with a band to play along with.
Buy it buy it buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hi Bass Method Composite, March 25 2000
By A Customer
This book is pretty good for a beginner.Although it may rely on TAB a bit much and its difficulty vary song to song, I'd say it's worth buying. Plus it is another of Hal Leanord books so you know it's not of poor quality.And it is packed with alot of great information.

CDN$ 26.25 CDN$ 17.69