5.0 out of 5 stars "Katie, it was never uncomplicated."
As stated many times before, THE WAY WE WERE is one of only a handful of romantic blockbusters to actually feature an intelligent script and complex characters. Writer Arthur Luarents' based his screenplay (and subsequent novel) on girl he knew in college, who fought for liberal (and sometimes communist) causes. The film was a surprise box office smash when originally...
Published on April 5 2004 by Det. Abilene

2.0 out of 5 stars Misty, water-colored mem'ries...
It is 1937, and Katie (Barbra Streisand) is a somewhat homely, working-class political activist who is infatuated with dashing, handsome, and athletic college classmate Hubbell (Robert Redford). He finds her kooky and outspoken but they begin an affair and eventually marry. Their personalities clash over the years but their relationship is really tested during the...
Published on Oct. 30 2010 by Kona

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I Guarantee It!, Feb. 11 2000
Ji Won Yoo (Seoul, South Korea) - See all my reviews
As Compared Nowadays Love Story, This Gave Me An Impression That Love Was, Is, Will Be Forever And Continued. Needless To Say Again About The Talent Of Main Actress And Actor,Barbra Will Remain As A Lover For Everyone Forever.
Actually I Shared A Similar Experience Just Like Between Them. I Almost Had What I Wanted Relatively Easily, But My Ex-Partner Got A Deferatedly life. We Also Had A First Meeting At Our Campus As Medical And Art Student. She Couln't Take An Easy Time In Our School Days. We Unfortunately Made A Parallel Life Between Us, Finally We Had To Say "Good-Bye" After 2 Years.
If You Had A Similar Experience Like Us, I Guarantee That Catch Your Mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Guarantee It!, Feb. 11 2000
Ji Won Yoo (Seoul, South Korea) - See all my reviews
If You Had A Similar Experience Like Us, I Guarantee That Catch Your Mind!

3.0 out of 5 stars A must have -- IF you like Streisand, Jan. 25 2000
CyberLouis (ALEXANDRIA, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Watching this film again after 10 years reminded me of why I hadn't seen it in so long: the story is not that good. I never understood why they broke up, until I saw the additional footage provided in this DVD. While it's great that the additional footage is available, I don't understand why they buried it in the documentary. They should have included the extra scenes in their entirety and made them accesible via the menu.
The best part of this movie: Streisand's brilliant performance. As for Redford, I seem to have trouble reading him in a number of scenes.
In short, if you like Streisand, you must have this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Babs at her best, Jan. 24 2000
Chris Phillips (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Sublime. Barbra is brilliant, even when acting with a beautiful blank slate like Redford. Like any doomed-romance movie, this one will make you weep buckets before all is said and done. Need a good cry? Get this today.

5.0 out of 5 stars never see it enough, Jan. 13 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Way We Were, the 25th (VHS Tape)
No matter how many times I see this movie, and I'm old enough to remember when it came out, I always cry. It's such a waste that two people who obviously love each other, can't find a way to make it work. Life's too short to let love like that go.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's About Time!, Jan. 12 2000
Alex Honda "onyx575" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The Way We Were on DVD is a must for any Streisand fan. The quality is excellent, allowing the viewer to watch the film over and over, without worry about tape damage. The colors and the images are sharp, and the widescreen format let's fans see everything in the frame. But the real prize is hearing the "hmmm-hmmmm...", opening to the title song, that's remastered digitally, so it sounds like Barbra is in the room singing it! The inclusion of the documentary is another plus! Including interviews with Barbra, Sydney Pollack, Arthur Laurents,the Bergmens and Hamlish. The documentary also includes deleted scenes from the movie, so one can finally figure out the real reason Katie and Hubbell break-up! You won't be sorry with this investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD is Well Done - Looks & Sounds Better Than Ever, Dec 29 1999
Matt Howe "outloud98" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Finally! THE WAY WE WERE in widescreen! I think it really makes a difference. I've only seen pan and scan versions on video. It is especially noticeable in the opening credits where names/credits appear on one side of the screen and action takes place on the other side. For the first time we get to see Katie at her typewriter and Katie talking to her teacher.
The rest of the dvd is done just as well. The picture and sound are pristine. The menu screens are classy and easy to use. The bonus trailers from FOR PETE'S SAKE and Streisand's later films are fun to see.
The hour-long documentary featuring interviews with Sydney Pollack and Streisand is very revealing. Pollack seems humble and grateful about the film. Streisand is relaxed and beautiful - again, reflective and humble about the experience as Pollack is. There is even a segment with Marvin Hamlisch on piano playing the different versions of THE WAY WE WERE theme. And Alan & Marilyn Bergman are a hilarious couple!
Sydney Pollack's comments on the extra audio channel are interesting as well. I haven't gotten through the whole movie yet, but so far so good!
The dvd is definitely a must-have for Streisand fans. But even fans of this classic romance will find much to like about the dvd as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD is Stylish, Well-Done, Lots of Extras!, Dec 21 1999
Matt Howe "outloud98" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
The packaging on this DVD is exquisite -- there's a nice gold-toned fold-out chapter index on the inside cover. Columbia has really packaged it like a keepsake.
The menus are classy as well. The behind-the-scenes featurette is very interesting. Barbra Streisand is very humble and exact about her memories of making the movie. She is also very generous in her praise of Redford. Sydney Pollack gives some good insights into the film. And author Arthur Laurents is especially revealing. I think all involved with the film knew they were creating something special. And yet the featurette proves that even a classic romance needs snipping. The cut scenes are interesting but prove that some scenes are superfluous to the arc of the story. However, the big scene in which Katie is told that an old schoolmate has informed on her is VERY interesting: Do the WASP and the Jew split up because of politics or stay together and be blacklisted ? It would have been a very different story if this scene were used.
Otherwise, the DVD looks gorgeous. It is so good to see this film in widescreen. I have only seen pan-and-scan versions for years. It is great to see the opening credits (underscored with Barbra's beautiful voice) framed the way they're supposed to be. I had an old VHS version that flip-flopped back and forth in order to get it all on the screen -- very annoying.
Finally, the Marvin Hamlisch section of the documentary is very interesting as well. He tells all about how the song "The Way We Were" came to be written. And Marilyn and Alan Bergman share their "mem'ries" as well!
The Columbia people did a GREAT job with this DVD. It is a welcome addition to my or your collection. Thanks, guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars The DVD was worth the wait!, Dec 19 1999
All of the magic, romance and turmoil of the love between Katie and Hubbell are back in this special edition DVD. Not only is this love story digitally remastered in glorious DVD quality and widescreen format, it also includes an hour long documentary on the making of the film.
In the documentary, Barbra Streisand and director Sydney Pollack reminisce fondly on the making of the film, and each discusses their differences on the scenes that were omitted. Every time I've seen the film, I've felt that something was missing in the explanation of Katie and Hubbell's eventual breakup. The ommitted scenes, seen in the documentary, would have shown the depth of the relationship between these two people - and that the real reason behind their split was based on politics more than Hubbell's infidelity.
Composer Marvin Hamlisch and lyricists Alan and Marilyn Bergman also discuss how the haunting theme and title song evolved. The attention to detail and the commitment of all those involved in the film is obvious in the interviews - the music and the visual images had to be a perfect marriage.
An interesting option on the DVD is an audio track of director Pollack commenting on each of the scenes as the movie plays.
This film has always been more than "just" a love story - the days of the Hollywood blacklist, communism, World War II are all essential ingredients to the story line. Even after 20 plus years, this remains one of my all time favorite films.
Fans of Streisand and Redford will certainly consider the DVD as an essential addition to their home video library.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Story About People and Politics..., Oct. 13 1999
This film is generally thought of as being a love story about two opposites - a left-wing Jewish girl and a WASP golden boy to whom "everything comes to easily." But it really can take credit for a resurgence of interest in the communist witch hunts of the McCarthy era. It preceded other films on the topic, like "The Front," by several years, and uses the era as something that impacts the actions of the characters.
Novelist/Playwrite/Screenwriter Arthur Laurents shows the struggle of two people to ultimately maintain their personal and professional principles in a world that doesn't have much of either - Hollywood.
I think this film has earned an unfair reputation as the ultimate "Chick Flick." It's actually a great script in the care of a top notch director (Sydney Pollack) wonderfully acted by two of the biggest stars in the world.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

The Way We Were
The Way We Were (VHS Tape)
Used & New from: CDN$ 8.67