5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding in this category!
I've been reading a lot of self-help books, but have rarely been so moved to recommend them to others. I found this one uncommonly wise, kind, and helpful and sensible--you come away
Published on Sept. 24 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Abuse or just plain unable to accept Criticism?
Have we become a society of softies unable to accept strong opinion? Have the days of being able to accept others opinion as anything more than that, gone? Free speech, only censored, is this what we want?
Published on Oct. 2 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding in this category!, Sept. 24 2002
By A Customer
with a grounded, helped feeling...hopeful, too. I'm not crazy about the word "empowering," but this book is empowering, I think. If you're looking for help in this area, this book is worth reading. (I know Bill Blass used to say in those magazine perfume ads that he didn't like people (women) who thought they could be helped by self-help books--remember?--but I don't care! This is a truly good one!) If you are in pain and you suspect past emotional abuse might be a factor contributing to it, please check this book out. You might even be moved to pass it on to friends--I am already plotting to purchase additional copies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing the scars of emotional abuse, July 1 2000
By A Customer
This book is excellent. I put into words my feelings and helped organize the behaviors of an emotional abuser. I have read serval books on this topic and this one is well written and is easy to follow. It also doesnt always assume the abuser is a man which is seen in so many books of this type. Highly recommended and helpful to an abuser who is willing to honestly look at her or his life and the victims of emotional abuse as well.It also gives some suggestions on how to proceed in the healing process.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Anyone Who's Been Emotionally Abused, May 20 2000
By A Customer
Dr. Jantz is a genius when it comes to understanding emotional abuse and how it affects people. He explains why emotional abuse is so common and how these abuses occur. The book is both insightful and affirming, and provides helps for recognizing and healing emotional abuse. I must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars An informative and supportive guide for those in need, March 29 2000
I finally decided to invest in a book about emotional abuse after realizing that issues from a past "bad relationship" just weren't going to go away on their own. With its comforting words and frequent anecdotes,"Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse" put many of my old experiences in perspective. I was able to see the "big picture" of how emotional abuse had permeated many aspects of my life, and I was finally able to acknowledge what a lasting effect it had on me. I was also surprised to see how many other people I recognized in the descriptions of emotional abusers and their techniques -- it was an eye-opener. If you have been the victim of emotional abuse (or aren't sure if you have been), you will find this book supportive, if you are an abuser you may find insight into why you abuse, and if you are just an interested reader you may be surprised by how this book changes your perspective on your co-workers, friends, and family. It really is fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, user-friendly guide to the subject, Jan. 3 2002
Ellen C. Falkenberry "ellenf" (Birmingham, AL USA) - See all my reviews
Emotional abuse is all-pervasive in our culture, making it difficult for one small volume to address all aspects thereof. Jantz, however, gives a good introduction and lots of encouragement to those in need. I wish someone had given this book to me when I was in Junior High.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, Jan. 2 2013
This review is from: Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse (Paperback)
This is an awesome, awesome read for anyone who has ever been emotionally abused. Many forms of emotional abuse are defines along with suggestions with how to deal with it and heal from it. I loved this book so much that I underlined and memorized and read it more than twice. I highly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse, May 21 2003
By A Customer
This book is an excellent resource to help a person recognize the difference between criticism and emotional & verbal abuse. Criticism is normally given IN LOVE, there is an enormous difference between criticism & abuse. This book will also help anyone who was previously in an abusive relationship to be able to recognize some of the common traits all emotional abusers and potential emotional abusers exhibit and steer clear of another abusive relationship. I even found instances in my own life where I was the one doing the controlling through emotional abuse & have been able to discontinue that behavior through self examination & prayer. Excellent book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing the scars of emotional abuse, July 1 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Souls are Unisex, April 5 2002
Patricia B. Ross (Wellesley, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Laying open oneself to another is an act of love unlike no other because it is an intentional removal of the protective layers through which self insulation protects us from the world and the misinterpretation which can result in pain, or worse, hardening of the heart. Unlike hardening of the arteries, hardening of the heart affects many more people than just the person to whom it happens. Hard boiled hearts do not permit entry, obviously, without gently and delicately trying to crack through the outer shells to reach the tasty treasures within that can be had only with this special, nurturing mission - a revival of the heartbeat necessary to pulse within the rhythm of other harmonious lives through which synchronous melodies are obtained rather than the discords of chaos, all too common. Symphonics or the ability to hear the music that inspires falls mainly to those who are not tone deaf and are never gender related. While there may be fewer men than not because of the nature of the environment in which they live, it is through the rare artist of empathy that the ungodly sounds of the earth are cultivated, even in a godly world where god may have been left behind. While we tend to think that, for example, it is children, or lovers who are left behind, it is actually God who has been left behind in a world where the respect of God has been sorely challenged, or ignored. In these times of Godly distrust where men are so eager to rely upon themselves, possibly to the exlusion of God, everyone suffers because it is a derivative illness whose ripples are far reaching. The obligation to attend to our souls to prevent this outcome is imperatitve and critical to preserve or revive the souls so damaged, so in pain, and so hardened. The ability to realize that what stalker's remove, other stalker's can return is an important facet of this book where being open to either is the main business of life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Abuse or just plain unable to accept Criticism?, Oct. 2 2001
By A Customer
Having being accused of being "Emotionally Abusive", and reading many parts of this book, I'd like to save some money for other prospective readers. The difference between Emotional Abuse and Criticism is that one is taken in the context of the first-person, the other is in the third. Or in another way, criticizing your loved one isn't criticism anymore, it's now called Emotional Abuse. Now you're up to date with the therapist psycobabble, and you got it for free!
Abuse is too strong a word for the inability to accept criticism where it's possibly/probably due. Have we become a society unable to be anything but milquetoast?
Maybe people thinking this book is required reading should first be seeking counseling to look at themselves, before criticizing and labeling others as "abusive". Sure, I'll except that there are extreme's, and "Emotionally Abusive" would be a reasonable thing to label them. But this book essentially labels ANYONE who criticizes ANYTHING PERSONAL as abusive.
My free opinion; yet another "therapist" jumping on the bandwagon of writing trash for the emotionally gullible. And after searching through the authors various works, it appears that he has pretty much covered the majority of societies "screw ups", so I'm wondering when he'll just be able to retire on the royalties. He's already into the second publishing of this book...

Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse
Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse by Ann McMurray (Paperback - Feb. 1 2009)
CDN$ 19.50 CDN$ 14.08