5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!!
Story Description:

On the way home from a conference, Don Piper's car was crushed by a semi that crossed into his lane. Medical personnel said he died instantly. While his body lay lifeless inside the ruins of his car, Piper experienced the glories of heaven, awed by its beauty and music.

Ninety minutes after the wreck, while a minister prayed for...
Published on Dec 8 2011 by Louise Jolly

Published on Nov. 13 2012 by Leslie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!!, Dec 8 2011
Louise Jolly "Bookaholic" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 90 Minutes In Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life (Paperback)
Story Description:

Ninety minutes after the wreck, while a minister prayed for him, Piper miraculously returned to life on earth with only the memory of inexpressible heavenly bliss. His faith in God was severely tested as he faced an uncertain and grueling recovery. Now he shares his life-changing story with you.

90 Minutes in Heaven offers a glimpse into a very real dimension of God's reality. It encourages those recovering from serious injuries and those dealing with the loss of a loved one. The experience dramatically changed Piper's life, and it will change yours too.

Don Piper has been an ordained minister since 1985.

My Review:

Can you imagine waking up and finding out that you'd been dead for the past hour and a half? In January of 1989, that is exactly what happened to 38-year-old Don Piper, and during those 90 minutes he was in heaven!

His description of the sights, sounds, colours, and music in heaven were magnificent, a proper description defies words.

His recovery was inordinately long and excruciatingly painful. He still lives 24/7 with intense pain and his condition profoundly affected his emotions during his recovery. He was reluctant to talk to a psychiatrist or counsellor for how would he explain being in heaven for 90 minutes? They'd think he was truly crazy! Don knew what he saw in heaven but feared they'd think he was delusional and how could he sound rational saying he wanted to die because he wanted to go back to heaven? Don decided not to speak to anyone of what he saw as his "intimate experience". After his experience in heaven, he didn't want to remain here trapped in this world of pain and begged God to take him back.

The gamut of negative emotions Don felt during his recovery was so self-defeating but I believe necessary. He had to endure the pain, the depression, the anger, the underlying hostility and refusal to allow anyone to help him with anything in order to grow spiritually and understand his real role in this life. It was almost like going through the grief process but he stumbled terribly at some of those stages while quickly comprehending others. At one point he becomes paranoid thinking the nurses were conspiring against him. He wanted instant black and white answers to questions from his doctor's where none existed. All they could offer were the "gray" areas and that was just not acceptable to Don. He couldn't figure out "why" God had sent him back to ensure all the pain and agony he was going through.

Aside from the tortuous and painful recovery Don received a cache of miracles from God which you can read about in the story. But God needed Don to experience certain things and learn from those things before providing him the miracles, in my opinion, that he deserved.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone who has lost a loved one, is recovering from a serious illness, or had a near death experience themselves. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Read, Jan. 28 2008
KindredSpirit "Mary" (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book because the title caught my eye, and wow, I read it in one sitting, I couldn't stop reading. Having recently overcome an illness that left me in hospital for 5 months, at times not expected to live and having to learn to walk again, I was struggling with my feelings and my faith about what had happened. I knew I'd been saved through prayer and it was a miracle, but no one really understood how I felt. I read this book and immediately identified with many of the author's feelings. I was completely inspired by his story and it helped me understand some of what I was feeling. Excellent read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Story of Death and Life, June 21 2013
It is a great book. I loved every word of it, and it is great to be reassured that there is a heaven for believers after we pass from this world. I bought a book for my daughter as she has lost her faith in the hope that it would let her see the light. She loved the book but was determined not to be swayed by it. It is a miraculous story of a man's faith to pray for a person he knew to be dead, and then to convince the medics to check him out after they knew he had been dead for an hour. Just amazing !

5.0 out of 5 stars Facinating, Feb. 22 2013
Wendy Michaels (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
Reinforces your belief in life after death and especially the existence of heaven and hell. A must read for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Christian testimony of a truly miraculous event, Feb. 19 2013
Don Piper gives an account of his death and resurrection after a fatal car accident followed by his long road to recovery in hospital and afterward. He is honest and doesn't gloss over all the tough stuff which makes his testimony to his miraculous return to life all the more believable. I believe this work will encourage Christians in their faith and challenge non-Christians to consider the Christian faith seriously which is indeed Don Piper stated purpose in writing this account.

4.0 out of 5 stars A story that will move you, Feb. 4 2012
This story is very interesting. You will have to listen to it 2 times to get everything. In my opinion worth the time and money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A valuable find, Jan. 30 2012
I appreciated Don's sharing of his experience and the way in which he allows his story to tell itself. He has given something that can only have an ongoing strengthening and enriching effect on all who read it.

2.0 out of 5 stars The author would have you believe that only Christians are going to heaven..., Nov. 13 2012
The actual descriptions of the afterlife were very short. The bulk of this book centres around the author's medical recovery and his religion. While I respect his right to his beliefs, I take exception to the attitude that one is only going to experience heaven, or the afterlife, if one is a Christian. I subscribe more to the "we are all one" philosophy that would not have one's access to the afterlife denied because of a lack of formal religious beliefs.

If you feel as I do, you will find this book to be a little tedious. I was looking for a lot more emphasis on the experience of the afterlife itself...this book does not deliver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, Nov. 20 2014
Well written and easy to read, this book will set a fire in the reader to desire to see Heaven, and if not, then perhaps they are lost. I will definitely recommend this book to anyone who desires to learn more about Heaven and how the church plays a role in believer's lives when they are living through a crisis.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Hope and Endurance, July 9 2014
Kathleen Friesen "Kathleen" (Canada) - See all my reviews
When this book was first published ten years ago, I heard a bit of the buzz but did not have a chance to read it. To be honest, I was sceptical. Too many charlatans had told too many stories about near-death or after-death experiences, and I didn’t feel the need to read another.
But when offered the chance to read and review this tenth anniversary edition, I agreed out of curiosity. The tone of the book surprised me. It has the ring of truth. Don Piper does not sugar-coat his experiences in any way. In fact, as he writes about his long, arduous recovery, he is painfully honest about his depression and frustration.
His message is one of supreme hope: Heaven is real, and through Jesus Christ, we can know we’re going there. I love that!
What I didn’t love was the new forward and what I felt were excessive stories from others. I wish both had been edited. Pick four or five stories about people impacted by Don’s experience, and choose a few statistics about his ministry in the last decade. The book itself was great; the extras had me skimming. For those reasons, I give this edition four stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

90 Minutes In Heaven: A True Story of Death  and  Life
90 Minutes In Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life by Cecil Murphey (Paperback - Nov. 2012)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 11.54