Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle SGG Black Friday Deals Week in Music Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon December 8, 2011
Story Description:

On the way home from a conference, Don Piper's car was crushed by a semi that crossed into his lane. Medical personnel said he died instantly. While his body lay lifeless inside the ruins of his car, Piper experienced the glories of heaven, awed by its beauty and music.

Ninety minutes after the wreck, while a minister prayed for him, Piper miraculously returned to life on earth with only the memory of inexpressible heavenly bliss. His faith in God was severely tested as he faced an uncertain and grueling recovery. Now he shares his life-changing story with you.

90 Minutes in Heaven offers a glimpse into a very real dimension of God's reality. It encourages those recovering from serious injuries and those dealing with the loss of a loved one. The experience dramatically changed Piper's life, and it will change yours too.

Don Piper has been an ordained minister since 1985.

My Review:

Can you imagine waking up and finding out that you'd been dead for the past hour and a half? In January of 1989, that is exactly what happened to 38-year-old Don Piper, and during those 90 minutes he was in heaven!

His description of the sights, sounds, colours, and music in heaven were magnificent, a proper description defies words.

His recovery was inordinately long and excruciatingly painful. He still lives 24/7 with intense pain and his condition profoundly affected his emotions during his recovery. He was reluctant to talk to a psychiatrist or counsellor for how would he explain being in heaven for 90 minutes? They'd think he was truly crazy! Don knew what he saw in heaven but feared they'd think he was delusional and how could he sound rational saying he wanted to die because he wanted to go back to heaven? Don decided not to speak to anyone of what he saw as his "intimate experience". After his experience in heaven, he didn't want to remain here trapped in this world of pain and begged God to take him back.

The gamut of negative emotions Don felt during his recovery was so self-defeating but I believe necessary. He had to endure the pain, the depression, the anger, the underlying hostility and refusal to allow anyone to help him with anything in order to grow spiritually and understand his real role in this life. It was almost like going through the grief process but he stumbled terribly at some of those stages while quickly comprehending others. At one point he becomes paranoid thinking the nurses were conspiring against him. He wanted instant black and white answers to questions from his doctor's where none existed. All they could offer were the "gray" areas and that was just not acceptable to Don. He couldn't figure out "why" God had sent him back to ensure all the pain and agony he was going through.

Aside from the tortuous and painful recovery Don received a cache of miracles from God which you can read about in the story. But God needed Don to experience certain things and learn from those things before providing him the miracles, in my opinion, that he deserved.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone who has lost a loved one, is recovering from a serious illness, or had a near death experience themselves. Excellent!
on January 28, 2008
I picked up this book because the title caught my eye, and wow, I read it in one sitting, I couldn't stop reading. Having recently overcome an illness that left me in hospital for 5 months, at times not expected to live and having to learn to walk again, I was struggling with my feelings and my faith about what had happened. I knew I'd been saved through prayer and it was a miracle, but no one really understood how I felt. I read this book and immediately identified with many of the author's feelings. I was completely inspired by his story and it helped me understand some of what I was feeling. Excellent read, highly recommended.
on June 21, 2013
It is a great book. I loved every word of it, and it is great to be reassured that there is a heaven for believers after we pass from this world. I bought a book for my daughter as she has lost her faith in the hope that it would let her see the light. She loved the book but was determined not to be swayed by it. It is a miraculous story of a man's faith to pray for a person he knew to be dead, and then to convince the medics to check him out after they knew he had been dead for an hour. Just amazing !
on February 19, 2013
Don Piper gives an account of his death and resurrection after a fatal car accident followed by his long road to recovery in hospital and afterward. He is honest and doesn't gloss over all the tough stuff which makes his testimony to his miraculous return to life all the more believable. I believe this work will encourage Christians in their faith and challenge non-Christians to consider the Christian faith seriously which is indeed Don Piper stated purpose in writing this account.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 27, 2015
One of the reasons that the book 90 Minutes In Heaven by Don Piper with Cecil Murphy appealed to me is stemmed from part of my intent to increase my understanding of both traditional religion and new age ideas on heaven towards my intent of writing under a username (that definitely is not going to involve the word star). Some of the strong and compelling points of this book;
Piper goes into what he saw and felt during his time in heaven for chapter two.
Pages 78-79 capture his truth of admitting that there was a time where he wanted to go back to heaven and found little comfort in various psychiatrists trying to talk to him on how he was doing.
Pages 130-131 and 134-135-Piper’s discussion with a man who was one of the many who helped pray him back to life and their sense of spiritual urgency. Piper also recalls that whoever might have been holding his hand during the car crash was a benevolent spirit from heaven (i.e. maybe an angel).
Pages 148-152; Other members of Don Piper’s family recall what went through their minds and hearts during and in the aftermath of the events surrounding his recovery (i.e. Piper’s children Nicole, Joe, and Chris as well as his wife Eva).
Pages 166-167; Piper shares how he met his wife Eva at Louisiana State University and the dramatic story of how a person at of his events unexpectedly died soon after at just 20 years of age (to the shock of multiple students who knew him).
The only catch is that there are only some pages out of the 207 page book that covers his time in heaven, however it was still a gripping read. There is more that is tempting to say about this book, but my conscience is guiding me to put aside my own personal spiritual biases out of consideration for the author, other reasons, and a major confession on one major reason why; I admit that I controversially believe in the idea of various realms within heaven and hell even with my interest in the new age and occult arenas, but I believe that there are spirits that are allowed to ascend from the lower darker realms (i.e. the realms in what is called hell) after a period of time depending on the person’s soul and intent to spiritually grow (kind of how a reformed criminal is allowed out of prison after showing the potential to change, but my heart and conscience is guiding me to avoid publicly sharing more within this review). However, I’m still grateful to have come across this book because it helped remind me that I’m more than how I feel on my human ego side when it comes to sometimes feeling prejudged based on my perceived work in progress intelligence/progressing wisdom and a reminder to instead be more grateful/self-confident for what I already have (in addition, the book served as a healing reminder for me to more carefully have my spiritual life be more of a prominent guide as I pursue certain career goals).
on February 22, 2013
Reinforces your belief in life after death and especially the existence of heaven and hell. A must read for everyone.
on August 31, 2015
excellent resource to people who want to know truth about afterlife and specifically as it concerns Heaven. I myself had an out of body near death experience but unfortunately I was not born again at that time and got to experience the exact opposite of what Don Piper experienced. This book allows you to have a glimpse of eternity awaiting those who are truly in Christ.
on November 20, 2014
Well written and easy to read, this book will set a fire in the reader to desire to see Heaven, and if not, then perhaps they are lost. I will definitely recommend this book to anyone who desires to learn more about Heaven and how the church plays a role in believer's lives when they are living through a crisis.
on May 19, 2014
This is a good book to give to someone who is skeptical about whether or not there is a heaven, and the importance of Being Saved by believing in Jesus Christ.
on May 23, 2010
This book confirms my belief that Heaven is very real, and that the Holy Scriptures are not fiction; that there is a Master Creator who cares for His creation. The writer suffered severely, but discovered there is a purpose to his life and has helped many. I have lived "by the Good Book" for over sixty-five years and have had many wonderful experiences in my lifetime.