5.0 out of 5 stars Become In Tune to the Ministry of Jesus

Summary of book:
Published on Feb. 26 2003 by W & T Perry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Insight on Demons, Feb. 26 2003
This review is from: They Shall Expel Demons: What You Need to Know about Demons--Your Invisible Enemies (Paperback)
Summary of book:
Derek Prince does a good job of telling us about demons, from how Jesus dealt with them, the origin of the word demon from Greek, his struggle with them, various types of demons and how to combat them. Prince uses Scripture and personal experiences to show us that demons are real, and we as followers of Christ have the authority over them, yet Christians can be oppressed by them and need deliverence.
Positives of the book: Scripturarly based, with personal dealings with demons, as well as guidelines Christians should use to expel their own demons, and if you are not a Christian he takes you through steps on becoming a believer. I for one believe in demons. The bible mentions them, and in today's society we tend to shake them off as some mystical creatures that are only symbols of our struggles instead of actual, evil spririts. Prince's example's can be disturbing to some, how demons are expelled and the different noise and/or convulsions people might have when they are delivered. Basically, you can expel a demon, but make sure you are a believer and close to God. If not, it is best to seek a ministry or your pastor to help you.
Negatives:
Although I believe in demons, Prince at times puts a demon with every problem we have. Some of the more bizarre examples in the book include 1) A girl getting hit on the head by a baseball, and then suffers from epileptic seizures. Prince explains the injury created a weakness that allowed a demon to enter, and give her these seizures. She was healed according to Prince, which I believe in a healing ministry, but to say demons enter you just because you are bonked on the head, seems a bit far-fetched. Another example of a bizarre demon was someone who suffered from tooth decay. That again seemed stretching it a bit. I have no doubt that people have demons, but sometimes we suffer physical and mental problems, due to plain old sin, and habits such as smoking, drugs or drinking can open the door for Satan to take control, some of this is purely our own doing due to the carnal, sinful nature we inherited when Adam & Eve first sinned.
Final thoughts: Be well read with the Word, and follow Prince's examples. He has good, spirit led insight into the world of demons, but do not blame everything on demons or Satan, when you yourself could be at fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars Become In Tune to the Ministry of Jesus, Aug. 5 2002
Bill Reese (Norcross, GA United States) - See all my reviews
"They Shall Expel Demons" is a jewel among all other books on deliverance. The author's tremendous level of knowledge shows through in this highly readable book. Among the pages you will find not just what type of demons or spirits operate in the life of a person but the reasons that one might become possessed. It will open the eyes of most people who feel pressured and often use "the devil made me do it" as the excuse for their actions.
"They Shall Expel Demons" forces the reader to ponder the differences between the need for healing and the need for deliverance. While there are many sicknesses that are of a common biological nature, the text shows that evil spirits may cause some sicknesses. There are battles fought in the heavens and battles fought here on earth and through the Biblical foundation you are shown the realism of the fight between "good and evil".
This book is for those interested in understanding the ministry of Christ and those who want to understand the different battlefields on which Christian battles are fought. It will prove to be a valuable asset to all Christian libraries and is a definite must for an Evangelical. I feel there should be more books as direct as this one. It gets to the point, shows examples, and provides a great solid base, which is the Word of God.

1.0 out of 5 stars Way over the top on Demonology, Oct. 17 2001
Reverend R. G. Johnson (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
A fairly good book as a general background on the subject of deliverance from demonisation. However I believe that Prince has gone completely over the top and seems to see demons under every conceivable bush. He does not seem capable of recognising sins of the flesh that we are all subjected to,and every human failing, in his terms, comes under the heading of a demon. He appears to have tried to crack a spiritual walnut with an oversized sledge-hammer.
There is such a plethora of books such as this one which takes part of God's truth and adds, and adds, and adds ad nauseam.
Derek's books have much to commend them because they are normally Biblically based but this one comes from cloud cuckoo land. Read it by all means but check it out against the word of God and you won't find very much spiritual confirmation except stretching the word of God to suit a particular viewpoint.
There is far too much of this type of teaching sweeping the present church and Christian discipleship. See Acts 17:11.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting - Good Read, Oct. 15 2003
Tan2Day (Easter City, USA) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading this one the other day. MANY scary things in there. Off and on, while reading this one, I had mixed messages with this one.
First, he obviously has been at this for a long time. He seemed to get into this on a biblical basis, and he certainly TOTALLY builds the case that ALL ministers are ordered to do demon expelling. I think, like the gifts of the Spirit, that were ignored for most of the past few hundred years, until the Pentecostals revived the practice, demon work too was something ALL the early followers of Christ, and Christ himself did, and were expected to do.
The scariest scenes in this book, involved, outwardly good Pentecostal believers, and some of their demons. My skin crawled when reading some of those examples.
A good read. I think every pastor should be given a copy of this one.
He tends to make every problem a Christian might have as a demon inside of you, I'm not sure that is correct or not, but the stong expamples given are quite moving.
Demon expelling is a messy process, involved vomiting, swearing, and more, many read like real life versions of the movies dealing with exorcism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing...if you are ready., June 1 2000
Thomas Taylor (McKinney, Texas) - See all my reviews
Not everyone is prepared for a book like this one, but this book will change the life of those who are ready. If you are seeking to unburden yourself from the cloudy lies of Satan and his minions, than this book contains the answers you are looking for. If you think you are "right-with-God", than this book could help you even more. For those of you seeking to "get-right-with-God", this is a very good step in that direction. This book is one of the very few that I could not put down. I usually do not like to read, but this book was exciting to pick up, and I could not wait to get to the end. Actually I read the last few chapters first, and then I anxiously read the book through from start to finish in only a few days. With Derek Prince's self help guide to personal deliverance from Satan's lies, I had all the information I needed to release myself from the evil one's bondage. My life has been so much better, and I feel so much closer to the one and only triune God(Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) than I ever have in my life. Also, it is time that I read it again for the lifesaving information and inspiration that is contained within it's pages. Also, if you know someone that this kind of book could help, and I know you do, than buy an extra one. But remember, not everyone is ready to receive or believe in what this book has to offer. But for those who are ready, this book will change your life for the better...forever. I have bought 4 copies of this book, and I have loaned them all out. Now I need to buy another copy so I can read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is a MUST READ, Jan. 8 1999
By A Customer
THe church needs to wake up and OPEN up their Bibles and read it for themselves...demonic activity is REAL and Satan and his cohorts are out to steal, kill and destroy. And who are their targets? All of us! Especially CHristians who are doing th eLord's work. Derek Prince's teaching is biblically sound. He sheds much needed light on this topic that our pastors have been too scared to teach. THere is no victory in our churches because our church leaders do not teach us what we really need to know. I vehemently disagree with the comments from one of the reviewers on this page. This IS a book that all of us should read. If you have ever dealt with demons and spirits, then you will know how real they really are. Try living in a house that is possessed...my stories would make your hair stand on end. But I HAVE THE VICTORY, because I am a joint-heir with Christ and HE has seated me next to him in the heavenlies and I have ALL power and authority of demons, through Christ. Don't believe that? Just look it up in the Word...it's there is black and white. ANd if GOd said it, I BELIEVE IT! I have used the WOrd in my own situation and have seen amazing things... THere are demons of sickness,poverty, cancer, and thousands of spirits who are in Satan's army. THese spirits CAN be cast out. SOmetimes it is a process, because they don't want to leave!! WHy would they? THey were sent to do a job and they work mighty hard at it. Learn how to exercise your authority...Derek Prince reveals how to do this...He has lived a long life and has seen and experienced more than we can imagine... Buy his other bestseller, Blessing or Curse...this is another MUST HAVE for your library...

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading for God's Children, Dec 11 1998
By A Customer
Based on reading this book (and several others), I have revised my "World-View" of Western culture from resting on a single pillar of "evolution" (or scientific naturalism) to resting on a second great pillar of false believe which is exposed and handled Biblically in Derek's excellent book. That pillar is "demons don't exist", which I recall I was told as a youth this was so. This pillar of delusion, sent by God (yes by God! 2Th 2:11), allows Satan to teach the apostate Christian church to believe "doctrine of demons" ("psychology" and the "self esteem movement", "word of faith doctrine" and other false teachings) to usher in the End Times "bride of Chist", his true Church. This book opened my eyes to the Biblical truth about demons and spirits and how they operate in us today, and why the Church is such a stronghold of false believe. America is being called back to "In God We Trust" by the Holy Spirit, using His Word and
words of great writers/teachers like Derek.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sincere, but is it trustworthy?, Oct. 30 1998
By A Customer
In many ways, this book seems useless. If you already accept Prince's personal views on demonic influence and possession, then (from a practical standpoint) this book will add little. And if you're a person who must evaluate the evidence before accepting it, well, you won't find any detailed case studies here to support Prince's claims.
You'll just have to choose whether or not Prince seems credible, and go from there.
Prince means well, and seems sincere. And, remarkably, his basic theology (which is, in fact, quite basic) seems on the money. Possession occurs because people allow it to, by providing vulnerabilities for demons to exploit. Christians have power over demons only through Christ. We should not try to learn directly from demons, as they will always seek to mislead. We best deal with demons by not having idols in our lives and by obeying God. I was surprised that, at the core, Prince's ideas of Christian life do not deviate from clear simple truth as espoused in the Bible.
Still, the big problem with this book is that Prince offers no means by which to weigh his experiences and testimony. No corroborative evidence is presented, and sometimes Prince's views on the demonic border of ludicrousness. For example, almost every sort of human evil, obsession, andexcess is attributed to direct demonic influence/possession: hate, anger, overreating, smoking, drinking, fear, flatulence, etc. (I'm not kidding! I wouldn't have been surprised to see Prince state, "Last night a demon of urination overcame me, so I went into the bathroom and expelled it.")
Prince even describes the "demon of nicotene" as a real entity, although nicotene did not exist when the angels were created. He immediately senses and casts out the "demon of allergies" from a six-year-old boy who won't eat. There's even the "demon of death" who can be rebuked in any situation. Prince sees little natural order in the world; almost everything is relegated to the demonic. My experiences as a thoughtful and maturing Christian have been much different than his.
The few long testimonies are either totally amazing or utterly fabricated. (One testimony in particular has it all: Although he was a Christian who wept over the souls of the lost, this fellow also did every sort of occult activity, taught obviously occult things to his church fellows without even noticing the discrepancy, was latently homosexual, had transsexual feelings, was obese, violent, angry, etc. Then he had a bunch of demons cast of him, and life returned to normal, praise God!) Prince also talks about how his wife Ruth got laid on hands by the wrong Christian, and a spirit of arthritis passed into her unknowingly, and she had to cast it out. Now we're passing out of the Scripture realm into mysticism, and sincerity only goes so far. It's time for the reader to tread carefully!
Scripture does seem to describe both natural sickness and demonic influence. Christ both healed disease and cast out demons. Prince's testimony is useful for reminding the Christian that demons are real, and can throw their weight behind seemingly innocuous or "natural" weaknesses. They are not to be ignored or forgotten. But seeing a demon behind every evil or weakness is almost psychotic, and ignores the broken nature of man on his own recognizance. Prince seems to pass from imbued vision to sheer fantasy in this book. I plan to get a refund.
For a more credible (although still questionable) account of possession, read Martin's "Hostage to the Devil." This book ain't it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sanest Approach I've Read to a Touchy Topic, Oct. 1 1998
By A Customer
Freedom from demonic oppression or even possession is an area most spiritual leaders don't know how to tackle. Those that do try, often take us 'over the edge' in application. Derek Prince does a masterful job in laying out the Scriptural foundation, and the very practical steps to gain freedom for yourself, and the ability to enable others to obtain it too. Derek reads and speaks Hebrew and Greek and is thoroughly the scholar, educated at Oxford, yet he's more than willing to deal with even this usually unmentionable topic. If you want the best I've seen in 25 years, pick up this distillation of Derek's numerous decades of deliverance ministry. Any pastor involved in this ministry would benefit from this book, as well as any layman who isn't afraid to discern and move out in faith into this little-discussed arena. The 21st century should bring an intensifying focus on the 'preparation of the Bride of Christ'; no doubt the deliverance ministry will part of that. Start with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and encouraging, Jan. 31 2000
As any other Derek Prince's book this one is based on the scriptures and illustrated by his rich experience. Derek Prince is by far my favorite Bible teacher -- he is humble, extremaly wise, practical, and attetive to the Holy Spirit.
Although many sound biblical churches acknowledge the existence of demons not many do anything about it. Mentioning that a born-again Christian can have a demon is treated as a heresy. Thank God that Derek Prince wrote this book. It is an invaluable source of information on subject of demons or expelling them. Read this book and judge by yourself. It can mean a whole new life for you, your friend, or a member of your family.
I disagree with the customer below who disliked this book. I wholeheartedly recommend not only this book, but all Derek's books and tapes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›