countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on May 21, 2009
Phyllis Tickle's new book "The Great Emgergence: How Christianity is Change and Why" is a great history lesson that articulates why there is such a dynamic shift in belief and practice among Christians of all denominations and backgrounds. The book is well written and doesn't overload the reader with superfluous information any one particular subject but gently moves the reader on to the next subject. This approach really makes the read enjoyable and proves it's point well in under 170 pages. This book will help people who are wondering "why do I believe this way?" and also help those who want to understand why "Christians that I've known all my life are changing their belief's, why?". Great conversations will ensue...
on June 24, 2011
I'm finding Phyllis Tickle's book, "The Great Emergence," difficult to put down and yet one that I want to have last as an experience. A difficult bind, especially given the fact that this is a relatively short and easily read book.

"The Great Emergence" views Christianity as a part of our culture that undergoes cyclical change about every five hundred years. She discusses the precursors of Christianity, earlier times of change, possible precipitants of a current and coming change, and likely outcomes. A fascinating point of view that leads to intellectually provocative conclusions.

I'll certainly recommend it to many people---including you.
on December 23, 2011
Fantastic book - great study book. New thinking and a clear understanding to the many questions I have been asking. What is happening to my religion, my church, my God. Explains why we are who we are and why we are asking these questions. Definitely restores enthusiasm for spirit lead faith.
on September 28, 2014
This book is starting out to be an interesting and enlightening read. I'm motivated to become more knowledgable on the history of religions and especially the church.
on May 7, 2015
Worth reading but beware this is not a casual read. It requires careful reading for understanding..
on March 8, 2010
This is a very interesting book in terms of its scope & perspective. While there may be criticisms about some of the factors that are changing the face of Christianity, there is no doubt Tickle has identified a number of key ones.
on April 11, 2015
Really enjoyed this book,
on June 1, 2013
perhaps the most interesting material in this book is on Tickle's obervations on technology and how it is having an impact on Christianity today.