5.0 out of 5 stars Theology through story-telling
I could not put this book down. Without previous knowledge of the author, I assumed the book would be a pendulum swing rant against the things we do not like about Westernized Church life.

Published on July 19 2011 by Kevin Rogers

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor exegesis of the scripture
It seems to me that Mr Farley has come to the bible with his theology already decided and then he avoids any scripture that disagrees with his preconceived conclusions.
Published 2 months ago by Steven J Hutchinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Theology through story-telling, July 19 2011

What I found instead, was an excellent treatment of key passages of scripture dealing with the Ten Commandments, the New Covenant, Tithing, Baptism, Pre-destination and so on.

Andrew Farley is a masterful storyteller who makes theology personal and memorable.

If you know someone who has been burned-out by church life and legalism, buy this one for Christmas. But do yourself a favor and read it first.

5.0 out of 5 stars God Without Religion, Oct. 24 2011
M. Bells (Orillia, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Title: God Without Religion: Can it really be this simple?
Author: Andrew Farley
Publisher: Baker Books
Date: 2011

"In God Without Religion" Andrew Farley invites the reader to step away from religion and enjoy the life of grace-filled freedom that God intends. At first glance, this is a very easy read. But as you get into it, you realize that this book is packed with sound theology and solid exegesis of scriptures that addresses many of the erroneous interpretations that have become commonplace in Christianity.

As Farley sees it, and I think he is right, many Christians are trying to live a mixture of two different covenants ' the Old Testament law and New Testament grace - which go together like oil and water. In reality, as followers of Jesus, we are called to live only under the covenant of grace in and through Jesus Christ.

Farley takes issue with many of the practices that have become commonplace in modern Christianity such as tithing and following the Ten Commandments (of which he says in reality most folks only follow 9 because we don't really keep a biblical Sabbath). Our tendency is to fall back on the law because we don't fully trust ourselves to the grace of Christ to lead us into freedom and thus we end up with something far less satisfying than what God has for us namely a rules based religion instead of a grace-empowered relationship with Christ.

Farley rightly argues that the problem with religion is that it comes naturally to us. Instead of trusting in and relying on our heavenly Father, we lean on our religious instincts. Instead of walking by the spirit, we rely on our own judgment and willpower.

Farley says that four out of five Christians define spiritual health in terms of 'trying hard to follow the rules in the Bible.' The punch-line of this book is that Christians should have no spiritual relationship with the 10 commandments or indeed any rules or regulations. Try to keep the rules and you'll end up disillusioned and burned out.

Farley's looks at Romans 5-7 as essential for understanding our new life in Christ. Like Paul, in Romans 7, many Christians find themselves struggling with sin and feeling wretched because of it. Farley argues that sin is what happens when we try to please God by keeping the rules. God introduced the law so that we might recognize the presence of sin. Sin thrives under law so the moment you start trying to live by law-based religion, sin is inflamed (Rms 5:20). You know what happens next: You fail, you repent, and you resolve to do better next time. In other words, you make a law for yourself that declares, 'I must do better.' By the strength of your resolve you succeed for a time but eventually you fail again. Sin wins and back to square one you go. This ceaseless cycle of performance, failure and repentance is a surefire sign that you're living under the curse of religion.

The way to break the cycle is to reckon yourself dead to sin and alive to God (Rms 6:11). You are not handicapped by a sinful heart and you don't have a sinful nature. What do you have is an old way of thinking that needs to change. You need to renew your mind and start agreeing with what God says about you. He says you are a new creation with new appetites and desires. If you stop and think about it, you will find that sinning is actually something that you don't want to do. As Farley says, this is significant:
'Now, I know what you've heard: sin is the stuff we want to do but aren't supposed to do. What I'm saying is, that's wrong. Sin is totally incompatible with who we are, and it's the last thing we want to do' For the rest of our lives, we'll continue to prove our new birth, one way or another. We'll prove it by expressing Christ and being fulfilled, or by sinning and being miserable. Either way, we prove our true identity.' (pp.165-6)

Farley covers a lot of ground in this book, but his main emphasis is on works versus grace. He lays down a solid foundation on the difference between living under law-based religion and living free under grace.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book that should be read by all, July 23 2011
The world and Christianity has been taught religion...trying to be good enough;trying to obey rules/law. Jesus came to set us free from that as God knew we couldn't do it. He paid the price for all our sins and took them onto Himself so we can be free. We don't need to live in condemnation , guilt or shame...we are forgiven...even those who have not accepted His free gift. When we become Christians, we just thank Him for paying for all our sins and accept Him as Lord and Savior...then get to know this One through relationship. Father God loved us so much that in order for us to have fellowship with Him, He sent His willing Son to die for us before we even knew HIm. This book tells stories and gives a more indepth look at the way that we have assumed we are to live, but are not accurate.
It will be life changing ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply profound, Aug. 29 2012
This review is from: God without Religion: Can It Really Be This Simple? (Paperback)
Relying heavily on the book of Hebrews and the theme of the new covenant, Farley will tweak your understanding of the gospel and the great themes of the Bible in a simple straight-forward way and the result is pretty profound. I've spent most of my adult life carefully working my way out of the legalistic, fundamentalist mindset I grew up with and replacing it with a truer understanding of the gospel, forgiveness, grace and how to understand The Law and transition from the Old Testament and the New Testament and basically how to live life as a follower of Christ. Farley has a way of pulling it all together in a way that was very enlightening and - I don't say this lightly - transforming. This is one of those books you're going to read and then want everyone else in your life to read it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars God Without Religion is Great, Feb. 29 2012
Andrew Farley has given us another great book. God Without Religion is a must read book.

When we've lost our sense of belonging in God's kingdom or the feeling of closeness to the King, we may look to religion to answers. It's difficult to simply ignore religion, shutting the doors on its offers. And we can't afford to ignore religion unless we're certain we already have everything we need to make life work, apart from religion.

Religion is a thief that's delighted to clean us out. Religion plots to rob us of our spiritual possessionsand our sense of security.

I know use parts of this book as part of my conversations with others around the conversation about religion. Thanks @DrAndrewFarely

I give this book 5 out of 5 Longhorns.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.Available at your favourite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

5.0 out of 5 stars God Without Religion, Feb. 27 2012
S. Klassen "Retired Reader" (Kelowna, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I found this to be a more comprehensive, yet precise review of Christianity, than I have read before. He immediately defines "religion" which then leads to some very clear explanations of sundry scriptural passages, that are routinely used in ways that are very confusing. It is generously salted with scripture, and easy to follow. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., July 1 2011
Just started to read this latest book by Andrew Farley. I will be reading it with 2 other friends and will meet once a week to discuse what we have read. So looking forward to a great summer with Andrew.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I read this year, April 28 2014
This book has seriously changed the way I see myself, my Christianity, and my God. I have never read something that so profoundly impacted me. I had to read it twice. And read it to my kids. And tell everyone I know about it. It is seriously THAT good.
If you only read one Christian book this year, let it be this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor exegesis of the scripture, April 25 2014
Example he decides to redefine a word used in Hebrews from "scourged " to "inquires into " by claiming that a fictitious word in hebrew was mistranslated by Luke. (he claims Hebrews was originally written in Hebrew and then translates=d by Luke)
I found insufficient evidence for this historically. also 1 Jn 1: 9 he claims does not apply to christians because it was written to gnostics in the church taking one vest out of context because it dis agrees with his theology.
As christians we must first look to the scripture for our theology and if one verse contradicts what we want to believe we must then change our theology not try to change the Bible.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE OR ANY OF Mr Farley's other books as well because his theology is flawed. Mr Farley should stick to teaching Spanish that is what he is educated to do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-effort Not Required, Nov. 26 2013
This young man has presented the truth is ways I never considered before. Many a "Wow" moment for me in this book!

God without Religion: Can It Really Be This Simple?
God without Religion: Can It Really Be This Simple? by Andrew Farley (Paperback - Oct. 1 2011)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26