5.0 out of 5 stars This book literally changed my life
Published on July 13 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Chauvinism is a choice, too!
Published on March 14 2000 by H. Rice

1.0 out of 5 stars Chauvinism is a choice, too!, March 14 2000
This review is from: Happiness Is a Choice: The Symptoms, Causes, and Cures of Depression (Paperback)
Sorry, I'm sure there were lots of helpful things in this book, but unfortunately, I couldn't get past the negative attitudes. It seemed that women were consistently painted as hysterical personality types who were most often seeking sexual relationships in order to dominate men. However, I kept reading. UNTIL I read a passage in which the authors said they had possibly, during their collective careers, NEVER encountered a woman who was not provoking her husband's abuse, either consciously or subconsciously. Apparently, this is one of the things we hysterical personality types do for fun. Puh-lease. C'mon, abusers don't need any help making excuses for themselves and their behavior. I shudder to think that somewhere there may be a woman clinging to a violent, dangerous relationship, searching her soul to figure out just how she's provoking her husband to beat her - all because she read this book. I'm not denying that there are troubled women who do behave in this way, but to say that only ONE person they had ever seen might actually just be married to a jerk was nothing short of irresponsible and potentially harmful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chauvinism is a choice, too!, March 14 2000
Sorry, I'm sure there were lots of helpful things in this book, but unfortunately, I couldn't get past the negative attitudes. It seemed that women were consistently painted as hysterical personality types who were most often seeking sexual relationships in order to dominate men. However, I kept reading. UNTIL I read a passage in which the authors said they had possibly, during their collective careers, NEVER encountered a woman who was not provoking her husband's abuse, either consciously or subconsciously. Apparently, this is one of the things we hysterical personality types do for fun. Puh-lease. C'mon, abusers don't need any help making excuses for themselves and their behavior. I shudder to think that somewhere there may be a woman clinging to a violent, dangerous relationship, searching her soul to figure out just how she's provoking her husband to beat her - all because she read this book. I'm not denying that there are troubled women who do behave in this way, but to say that only ONE person they had ever seen might actually just be married to a jerk was nothing sort of irresponsible and potentially harmful.

1.0 out of 5 stars A good book for sadistic men. Truly sickening., Dec 11 2001
By A Customer
Here's a quote from the 1978 edition. I understand this passage has been toned down a bit in the current edition, but this should give you a good idea of what kind of sick, twisted, so-called Christians the authors are:
"Whenever a battered wife comes seeking advice and consolation because her husband beats her up twice a week, our usual response is, "Oh, really? How do you get him to do that?" In all the scores of cases of this nature that we have analyzed in depth, there was only one case in which the battered wife was not provoking (usually unconsciously) her explosive husband until he reached the boiling point (of course, this does not diminish the husband's responsibility). After a beating, the husband usually feels very guilty and spoils his wife for several weeks. In the meantime, she is getting from people around her the sympathy which she craves, and she is satisfying her unconscious needs to be a masochist"
(pages 96-97)

1.0 out of 5 stars Give me a break!, Sept. 5 2001
By A Customer
If I had known this book was the bible-thumper's guide to depression, I would never have purchased it. If I wanted a preacher and a sermon, I would have gone to church. If I had to count how many times the authors said GOD, it would take me weeks. Also, I don't believe in blaming all of your emotional problems on your childhood or the way your parents raised you. But the authors seem to think that if you are depressed, your parents must have done something wrong. Giving this book one star was being generous.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book literally changed my life, July 13 2002
By A Customer
I read this book about 18 years ago after my pastor recommended it to me. I was in my early 20's and had been experiencing recurring depresssions since my middle teens. I had been suicidal numerous time (e.g., sitting on edge of cliff more than once). I read this book along with my wife and for the first time in my life realized that I was making choices that brought my depression and that I could make other choices that would lead to happiness. I began making those choices and I haven't suffered from a prolonged severe depression since that time. I have now found out that my entire family for 4 generations suffers from depression. This book helped break this in me and I will share it with other members of my family. I recommend it to anyone suffering from depression and or living with anybody who is.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Really Works!, Aug. 9 2002
By A Customer
When I was told to purchase this book, I thought 'Happiness is a Choice' ... yeah right, like I CHOOSE to be depressed, I don't think soooo! I didn't think the book would be worth while at all. In fact, I thought it might try to brainwash or something. But that is not how it works. It gives you insight into depression. It gave me so much to think about. It gave me CONTROL over my depression for the first time. It didn't happen overnight, in fact it didn't happen until about a month after I finished reading the book. But the concepts put forth in this book were so profound, that I was able to say NO to depression for the first time, and after many many years of therapy and medication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis, Nov. 19 1996
By A Customer
Dr. Minirth and Dr. Meier take an honest look at depression, its roots, andremedies. Practical advice is also included regarding making and choosingfriends and daily life. Various treatments are discussed, including medication, electroconvulsive therapy, counseling, and psychosurgery (not recommended by the authors). This book is not a book for people who are looking for warm fuzzies. It is a book about working hard to face and overcome depression. If you see depression as purely a medical problem for which the sufferer has no responsibility, this is not likely to be the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was most instramental in curing my depression, Oct. 21 1998
By A Customer
This is a book every home should have. If you are not depressed you probably know someone who is. It helped me understand what I was feeling. It gave me hope and the knowledge I needed to start a recovery. I kept it with me at all times and read and reread parts. It is more of a manual than a read from front to back book. If something wasnt relelevnt to me at one point I found it was at another time. I give this book to every depressed person I can. It was a lifesavor for me. Even years later I read portions. I highly recomment this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Break Free of Depression, June 10 2003
I was embarrassed and ashamed of my lonely, helplessness, and saddness. This book provided not only spiritual but medical answers to questions that I was not will to ask. I did however throw it across the room when I realized that I was truly depressed. God can cure each and every scar that is hidden deep within you, this book was the beginning of my journey back to joy. I am always buying another copy to give to a friend who is afraid to admit to depression. God has the key to the chains that bind you...order and walk forward into joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I should have read this book 2 & 1/2 years ago!, May 25 1999
By A Customer
I never realized the problems I had as a codepant. I thought that everthing was great, when I knew that I loved my wife more than anything in this world. Now that we have seperated (3 weeks ago) and found out that we where pregant (2weeks ago) We have started counseling and our DR told us to read this book, I am yet to complete this book but it has already saved my life and let me see the light. I wished that everone could read this book, it surely could save alot of marriages and families. Thanks Doc.
Darryn Busby