4.0 out of 5 stars The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide
Published on Dec 3 2007 by Busia

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor - Inaccurate colours
I bought this book for a birding trip to Costa Rica. In Costa Rica I discovered, to my horror, that the printing process used altered the colours of the images. It is difficult enough to identify a bird in the field without the added problem of a field guide with misleading images. The range maps and descriptions are very good.
Published on Dec 9 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide, Dec 3 2007
Busia (Columbus, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide (Paperback)
I will be traveling to Costa Rica in January and I'm now studying the birds using this guide along with photos of birds seen there in the past year or so. I love the descriptions, they will be extremely helpful for those of us who have not experienced those confusing, unique families of birds ("ant" birds for instance) that don't fit comfortably within the ones that occur in the US.
My only criticism is that the colors on some of the drawings, especially the hummingbirds, are not true according to the pictures I've seen.
I will write another review when I get back from my trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Field Guide on our Tour, Nov. 17 2013
This review is from: Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide (Paperback)
Our naturalist kept borrowing it to show people what they were seeing. I returned the following year, just the two of us, on an unguided trip. Easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide, Feb. 26 2013
This review is from: Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide (Paperback)
This is a great guide to carry around with you while hiking the numerous birding areas of Costa Rica. It is compact and light weight!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 4 2014
This review is from: Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide (Paperback)
Well illustrated and complete for trip to Costa Rica.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor - Inaccurate colours, Dec 9 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for a trip to Costa Rica, Sept. 22 2007
Monique B. (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide (Paperback)
Very appealing presentation. I also have «A guide to the birds of Costa Rica» by Stiles and Skutch. Both books are complementary. Having text and distribution maps next to plates makes planning of a trip a lot easier. Drawings are nice and precise. Therefore, birds on some plates look pale and faded. Small size of book makes it easy to carry on the field. Excellent buy quality-price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful in the field, for sure, with one caveat, Feb. 5 2011
This review is from: Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide (Paperback)
I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica with Garrigues in hand. I'm an amateur and very enthusiastic birder. This book is easy to use because the bird descriptions and maps are adjacent for aiding identification. However, I did find that some of the illustrations were not entirely accurate, especially where color is concerned. For corroborating identification, it was necessary to cross-reference with the bird bible of Costa Rica, Skutch's A Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica, which we all know is quite cumbersome to take into the field. That said, I'm grateful to have Garriques' compact field guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, Jan. 7 2011
This review is from: Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide (Paperback)
Super beau livre sur les oiseaux du Costa Rica. Il ressemble un peu au Peterson pour les oiseaux du Québec et je trouve qu'il est facile à se repérer dedans pour trouver identifier vite les oiseaux vus sur le terrain.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide, March 19 2013
This review is from: Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide (Paperback)
Great detail and line-up. Picture renditions are terrific. Can hardly wait to use it in three weeks. Plus, I was able to down-load a check list specific to this book. At least four of our group of six have purchased it. I will wait til we have been down there to see whether or not I would recommend it to others.

Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide
Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide by Garrigues (Paperback - April 25 2007)
CDN$ 35.50 CDN$ 19.75