march vpcflyout boutiques-francophones Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on December 3, 2007
I will be traveling to Costa Rica in January and I'm now studying the birds using this guide along with photos of birds seen there in the past year or so. I love the descriptions, they will be extremely helpful for those of us who have not experienced those confusing, unique families of birds ("ant" birds for instance) that don't fit comfortably within the ones that occur in the US.
My only criticism is that the colors on some of the drawings, especially the hummingbirds, are not true according to the pictures I've seen.
I will write another review when I get back from my trip.
on September 22, 2007
Very appealing presentation. I also have «A guide to the birds of Costa Rica» by Stiles and Skutch. Both books are complementary. Having text and distribution maps next to plates makes planning of a trip a lot easier. Drawings are nice and precise. Therefore, birds on some plates look pale and faded. Small size of book makes it easy to carry on the field. Excellent buy quality-price!
on February 5, 2011
I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica with Garrigues in hand. I'm an amateur and very enthusiastic birder. This book is easy to use because the bird descriptions and maps are adjacent for aiding identification. However, I did find that some of the illustrations were not entirely accurate, especially where color is concerned. For corroborating identification, it was necessary to cross-reference with the bird bible of Costa Rica, Skutch's A Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica, which we all know is quite cumbersome to take into the field. That said, I'm grateful to have Garriques' compact field guide.
on July 4, 2014
Well illustrated and complete for trip to Costa Rica.