5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Info
This book is a must-have for people with bipolar &/or family members of a loved one with bipolar disorder. The book explains things really well and helps you understand the illness.
Published on Sept. 30 2003 by A. Sims

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much emphasis on the meds
Published on Jan. 21 2009 by Carla

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much emphasis on the meds, Jan. 21 2009
This review is from: Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families (Paperback)
This book is more of a text book read. It has too much emphasis on the meds, and not much on alternative coping methods. However, it was good to have the drug descriptions so you can understand a bit more about what you are taking. The author seemed to spend more time on the history and using way too many quotes than on modern day practices. I didn't find this to be a good read, coming from a bi polar patient.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good resource but to much medical jargon, April 22 2004
Angela Troester "Moma to 4 boys" (strawberry point, Iowa United States) - See all my reviews
Buying this book should depend on what you are looking for. This book has a lot of medical stuff like how each medication works in the body. It has pages of info on the synapse of a nerve. I really just wanted some basic info on what this disorder is and how to treat it. I skiped tons of pages because knowing how every drug works wasn't my main objecitve and the doctor decideds what to use on my son anyway. I guess it was to in depth for me and I would have liked more help with "how to handle the manic times with my 8 year old than the synapse of a nerve" I needed symptoms of the disease so I could feel more confidant about the doctors diagnosis. I think this book was ok but it didn't make me convinced of my sons diagnosis. I wanted info on how to help my loved ones deal with my son running around the house in 80 degree weather and a snow suit. When your child is manic and wild at times it seems to others that you are just not strict enough on them but in reality your very hard on the child and it seems that they are out of control and you just have to let the mania run its course. I found that hot baths has helped my son when he is in a fit of rage but this book never told me that!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Guide, Dec 3 2003
By A Customer
This is an all-around good guide for patients with bipolar disorder and their families. About the only thing I disagree with the author on is the need for psychotherapy. About the only psychotherapy I get is an occasional visit to a local support group, but I'm doing pretty well. Furthermore, like a very high percentage of manic depressives, I have a low income and my insurance covers only visits to the psychiatrist and meds.
The author has a very interesting chapter on schizoaffective disorder and expresses an opinion on it that I don't believe I've read elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Info, Sept. 30 2003
A. Sims "boxylucy" (Catawba, SC United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book about the illness, March 11 2003
Avery Z. Conner (West Lafayette, IN) - See all my reviews
Mondimore has assembled an impressive book- pretty well-written, well-organized, generally easy to read, and filled with useful information. Much of the information is practical, though I don't believe it is as practical as Miklowitz's "Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide". It is quite comprehensive though, and in this regard is similar to Torrey's "Surviving Manic Depression". Overall, this is important reading material for the afflicted and their family and friends. I recommend that those who want to develop a fundamental understanding of the illness read all three of these books. Avery Z. Conner, author of "Fevers of the Mind".

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!, Nov. 12 2002
Mia (Arizona (USA)) - See all my reviews
I thought this book was great. I have bipolar disorder and I am currently going to school to become a psychiatric nurse. This book helped give me insight into my own disorder (and my family history of bipolar disorder). This book goes into some of the pathophysiology of the disease. I thought it was great!

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit condescending and I believe non-empathic., April 27 2002
By A Customer
My least favorite part of this book is where the author laments that bipolar disorder isn't physical and therefore there aren't sufficient clinical tests for the condition (such as an x-ray for physical trauma). To which my (perhaps typical bipolar reply) is 'change your field of interest to a more 'physical' speciality - such as orthopedics.
Also, this man recommends electro-convulsive shock treatment (I hestitate to call it therapy). There are much better and more sympathetic treatments out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE guide on bipolar disorder, April 3 2002
By A Customer
If you have a friend or family member who is bipolar, this guide gives the best insight into the disease. My mother was bipolar, and it was so difficult to understand why she couldn't just get better, why she did the things she did, how she could go from mania to a depression that kept her in bed for weeks on end. I wish this book had been written 15 years ago. I may have been more support to her if I'd had the knowledge from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Resource, March 30 2002
pescecanina (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
An excellent resource for those of us who are bipolar and crave detailed, thorough, and non-simplistic books. Parts of this book may be hard to understand at first, but provide information I haven't found elsewhere - and I have read everything I could get my hands on. If you're like me, take the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book so far on the subject..., March 29 2002
"moocgw" (Cambridge, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I've read a great deal of books like this and unlike this. This is absolutely the best book I've ever read on the subject. The way that it covers medications, side effects, uses/reasons for utilization, alternatives, etc. Symptoms of the illness, examples of cases illustrating many points... an honest book.... with so many wonderful footnotes that link back to incredible sources... I've loaned this book out more than any other book and when it comes back (which I have to chase it down all the time) the reviews are incredible.

Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families
Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families by Francis Mark Mondimore MD (Paperback - Feb. 9 2006)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 18.41
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available