5.0 out of 5 stars Update on Ivory Tower Blues, March 8 2008
James Cote (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ivory Tower Blues: A University System in Crisis (Paperback)
This is a comment from one of the authors of Ivory Tower Blues.

Jason Wray''s comments about typos are out of date. Because of the media attention we received while the book was being written, it was rushed into print and unfortunately the editors overlooked several typos. We apologize to readers of this first printing. The book is now into its fourth printing and the typos have been corrected. A French edition will be released soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Universities are in crisis, June 28 2009
This book tries to explain why the University system in Canada and the United States is in crisis. I have not studied. lived or even traveled to North America, but reading this book gave me the opportunity to realize why the Greek higher educational system is in a severe situation. Roughly, the authors argue that one reason for the decline of higher education is that today's students come to university with inflated grades and expectations, as a result of parental push for higher grades. In the end, these students are ill-prepared for university level studies. This push is evident even in universities were students and people outside the academia push professors to give higher grades to students. Unfortunately, I believe that the escalation of this situation will have as result the creation of armies of PhDs. To go one step further, I would say that the problem has affected even scientific journals and the quality of papers being published. All in all, I consider this book a must-read for everyone. After all, we all are parents and have to have an understanding of the current situation in universities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ugly truth, ugly proofreading, June 22 2007
Jason Wray - See all my reviews
Ivory Tower Blues is a timely, important look at our sliding University system. While the language is at times dense and academic (appropriate for its authors, of course), the message is straightforward and alarming. I have seen much of the problems discussed here throughout my education, and I sincerely wish I could have read this back when I was still in high school. This should be recommended to all students, and certainly discussed; it would be an insult to the material for this book to be held up as a high truth to be learned from only one side or merely skimmed over by intended readers.

That having been said, I think this book needs to be revised a little. I was disappointed to have been wrapped up in a passage only to get derailed by a missing word or a misspelling (the sort you find in a word processor, where it is a word, just not the right one).

ARRAY(0xb588b468)

Ivory Tower Blues: A University System in Crisis
Ivory Tower Blues: A University System in Crisis by Anton L. Allahar (Paperback - May 26 2007)
CDN$ 32.95 CDN$ 20.76