5.0 out of 5 stars A wildy beautiful tale, Feb. 26 2004
This review is from: Eden: A Novel (Paperback)
Eden is far more than a coming of age novel.
The story is told through the voice of Maddy Dangerfield, a fourteen year old girl living in the deep South.
Maddy may be green around the edges but she observes the world through old eyes. The town is in shock when Maddy draws a naked woman on the pages of Genesis, in fire engine red lipstick during Sunday school.
Maddy feels deeply for her Mother. For her hard worked hands and tired feet from cleaning the white folks house all day.Her Father, an alcholic who gambles away every cent he earns plus what her mother makes.
Her Aunt Pip, a beautiful, carefree woman known to sleep with married men (even Maddy's father). When Aunt Pip starts dying from Breast Cancer, Maddy is forced to spend the weekends taking care of her. Maddy is crushed to see her aunt crumble and weaken right before her eyes. Fat, her aunt's friend is crazy they say. She writes letters to a dead man. A dead man they found hanging from the tree in the front yard. He was hanged and uncle Sugar became a number- for raping a white woman.
This novel is raw, sensual and bursting from the seams with old Southern ritual and spirituality. A wildy beautiful tale of passion, anger, love and Death.
Vernon's prose will knock your socks off! Her creativity is so out of the box one might need to take a slow breath to take it all in. Highly unusual, passionately poetic. To write with such profound power and mystic is pure brilliance.
Eden is top shelf with the likes of Toni Morrison.
Vernon is a Diamond in the rough of literature today..
reviewed by:
Dawn
MBCN.Y./2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Olympia Vernon Writer to watch, Jan. 15 2004
Edward Ott (Baton Rouge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eden (Hardcover)
Brilliant book, the world she creates is one that came alive for me. Olympia Vernon is a new Black writer that everyone should read, I eagerly await her next Book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Southern Revelations, July 3 2003
B. C Gates "bullett1" (Menlo Par, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eden (Hardcover)
I had the opportunity to meet Olympia personally,
but sleep got the best of me. But my sister and
niece did go at 12:00 a.m. and talked to her one
on one and got my personally autographed copy.
I had the experience to visit Birmingham, AL with
The Church of Christ, which presented the perfect
opportunity to read EDEN. The southern atmosphere
made the book come alive.
I found it fascinating how a young girl eyes were
able to see so much in-depth in each character. I never
though a young girl knew so much. Infact, I didn't
know they cursed so much and spoke with unprofound
innocence.
I guess prostitutes do have a life,lasting girl friend
relationships and family members who still love
them in spike of. But I have heard they do make
the best wives.
Her description of cancer and it's effect on the
individual and those surrounding them, was quite
deep.
I had to put my mind into the 14yr. old and continue
to read. I guess I am so use to reading about adults or
children who grow up into adults and the story line
then takes off into their lives.
I loved the nicknames. Family members will give
you names only the family knows about.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Art Form, June 12 2003
This review is from: Eden (Hardcover)
While reading Eden, I could hear Olympia Vernon's voice through her style, tuning every word like an instrument. I see strength in these characters. It is what they find their strength in that is different; this is a place that haunts them, hurts them or may heal them. Each character needs to find strength just to get by in their life walk. We can spy on them through Maddy; she is in the midst of adolescence, finding her own areas of strength to get by. She is growing up by visualizing and feeling the gut revelations that we all learn from family. Through watching the lives of those around her, Maddy sees that love, strength and truth do not always exist together in the same places. It is such a real to life revelation how family teaches us disappointment. There is also a strong sense of longing throughout Eden. Pip displays this longing. I love her name; it is like a flashback to how she used to be lively and exciting. She was once a free spirited beauty who found her strength in men. This caused her to betray her own sister Faye, and so she must live and die as an outcast from her family. What was once strength in her life cheated her by giving her loneliness. Mama Faye finds her strength in Jesus. This helps her function as a savior to her family. She needs His strength to overcome her husband's ways and heal the past hurt of betrayal. Chevrolet seems to find his strength in avoiding mama's Jesus. He gets messed up in the Jesus of the world, who seems to always be after him. He gambles with Jesus so much that his life is always on the line. Eden is a peek into rural southern living, filled with mystery and anticipation.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, March 3 2003
Dee Thompson (Fort Worth, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eden (Hardcover)
Eden was awesome. Ms. Vernon's use of words was amazing. The characters were alive and colorful. I didn't want to put it down! While reading Eden, I often wondered what could have been going through the author's mind. Ms. Vernon wrote with so much power and feeling. Eden definitely has energy. It left me speechless and wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eden, Feb. 25 2003
Edward Ott (Baton Rouge, La) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eden (Hardcover)
Eden truly touched me from beginning to end. Each time I picked it up to read, I didn't want to put it down. I wanted to know the characters personally, sit down and talk to them or just watch them live their lives. I felt close to them like they were taken from my past and I was now witnessing the continuing saga of their lives. The words are beautifully written. Fresh, smooth, easily digested words, phrases, references, connected me with the author. I loved that every time I read a page I could see it as if I were standing their watching. Reading Eden gives you a taste of Southern black culture that is not often seen and will have you wanting more.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Author Debuts in True Morrisonsque Fashion, Feb. 16 2003
Dera R Williams (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eden (Hardcover)
Intricate, excessive metaphors with convoluted symbolism that consumes the reader. Re-reading sentences and paragraphs to comprehend the context, questioning what was read, surreal imagery. No, this is not a Toni Morrison novel but Olympia Vernon in her debut offering, Eden, will no doubt be compared to the Queen Mother of literature. This novel will more than likely be embraced by the literary community making this a crossover fiction read to please many palates.
Maddy Dangerfield is a fourteen year-old black girl living on the borderline of rural Mississippi/Louisiana. Though no dates are given, the time period seems to be the late 1960s or 70s. Maddy is engulfed in despair, a fragile link in a down- trodden family that appears to be without hope or future. A degrading, embittered, alcoholic father, Chevrolet, who is also maimed, is incapable of providing for his family though he is employed because his paycheck is already owed to Jesus´¿ the man who runs gambling in town and to the liquor his body craves. His wife, Faye totally lacking self-esteem, is a classic enabler, working herself to the bone to pay her husband´¿s debts. They are the town´¿s object of gossip and pity. There is no laughter; Maddy does not socialize with other children or hitch rides into town with friends for ice cream. She is immersed in an adult world and these adults are no prizes. Then Maddy adds fuel to the flames when she draws a picture of a naked lady in red lipstick over the first page of the Book of Genesis in Sunday School. As a punishment, she is banished to spend weekends nursing her aunt Pip, who is wasting away with breast cancer and herself banished in shame from the town and the family for committing an unforgivable sin. Maddy is drawn into the squandered life of Pip while pondering the issues of life, death, love and redemption.
Racism is rampant and this novel does not escape the stereotypical elements of a gothic southern novel: an uncle in prison and his friend hung for an ´¿alleged´¿ rape of a white woman, the desolate alcoholic stripped of his manhood who kowtows to whites, the white storeowners who cheat blacks out of their money, the strong black mother replete with a Mammy persona who is long-suffering, forever in church praising the Lord. A cast of secondary characters including an outcast neighbor, a young casket maker from New Orleans who has his eye on Maddy and a slow-witted man who meets a mysterious death all contribute to making this a well-rounded, unique storyline.
The literature of the last few years have highlighted the affluence and assimilation of African Americans touting their acquired status, this story gives us the ugliness up front and personal---, this is not reading for the faint at heart. Maddy´¿s obsession with vaginas is a prominent part of this novel as is blood, breasts, lizards, and superstitions steeped in ignorance and tradition. Sometimes this novel was out there, thus the Morrison reference. Well written with illuminating imagery, the author places you there--but I had to ask myself if I really wanted to be. Nevertheless, it was refreshing to read yet another new, unique voice. 2003 promises to be a stellar year with writers such as Vernon and Danyel Smith (More Like Wrestling) who are taking bold risks in what is sometimes a saturated market of uniformity. I look forward to this author´¿s next offering.
Dera Williams
APOOO BookClub

5.0 out of 5 stars Eden- Food For the Soul, Feb. 12 2003
Jelani Foster (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eden (Hardcover)
Being a native of Pike.... Pyke County I'd have to say this book really hit "home". Eden is a wonderful piece of literature. Eden has power between its pages. Powerful would be an understatement when describing this book. While submerged in Eden I experienced a WIDE range of emotions. Humor- when Aunt Pip and Fat sat around "shootin' the breeze" enjoying their feel-goods. Fear- when Chevorlet contemplated shooting the mutt, before Jesus drove up. Sadness- When Willie died/ or was he killed?
Eden is an artwork that should get it's due respect, it's proper accolades, and the author Olmpia Vernon (whom I consider the Zora Neal Hurston of this new millenium) should be given national attention for creating Eden at a time when all of us need it the most!

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing Pieces, Feb. 10 2003
The RAWSISTAZ Reviewers (RAWSISTAZ.com and BlackBookReviews.net) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eden (Hardcover)
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up the debut novel by new author Olympia Vernon. The title suggested to me that I was beginning a story about the concept of Eden, a place where old age ceases, evil is nonexistent, and a place of abundance. Quite the opposite was true.
Maddy Dangerfield, a fourteen-year old with the weight of the world on her shoulders, lives in a place that defies Eden and all of its niceties. Maddy's mother, Faye, sends her to care for her Aunt Pip, Mama Faye's outcast sister. Pip suffers from breast cancer and the loss of her breast. Maddy learns much from Pip, and this stop in her journey to adulthood takes on an important role.
There was a strong theme of missing pieces in the novel, beginning with Maddy's father Chevrolet, who was missing his arm, and ending with Maddy herself, and all of the losses she incurred. The writing spoke to me in hushed voices, Vernon allowing her words and lyricism to come to the forefront. You won't find a largely plot-driven novel in Eden, as the author allows focus to remain on her characters and their losses. A symbolic tale of coming of age and coming to grips, this was a fantastic debut...

5.0 out of 5 stars Eden: A New Gift to the African-American Canon, Jan. 28 2003
This review is from: Eden (Hardcover)
Olympia Vernon has certainly marked her space on the map with Eden. The entire book sings like music. Every line, every chapter is indelible--like an ongoing paean that praises and celebrates life, love, loss, forgiveness, death, God, pain, nature, disease and the awe of body--the physical journeys it takes. I found the language as bare-boned as Hemingway. Quick, clean, sharp and vivid. Even cancer resonates as a "character" in the novel. I was enamored with the simplest "sharing" in the book and that was Maddy. Though a rift eases in between two sisters, Faye and Aunt Pip, the child is still allowed to go to her aunt. Could that in some manner be a gesture of forgiveness? The one and only frail part about the novel is plot. However, the characters, structure, language, magical-realism and overall theme of the work deems it all the more rich. I hope this young author continues to contribute good, qualified, "seriously imaginative" literature to the African-American canon. I think she will keep the map strong. Highly recommended!!

Eden
Eden by Olympia Vernon (Hardcover - Dec 10 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01