5.0 out of 5 stars Audacious,Ballsy,Cynical,Exceptionally F*cking Good !!!!, June 12 1999
By A Customer
HARRISON! HARRISON! HARRISON! Immortal I agree, this work is to me the same as sitting a spell to listen to the tales of the elders in town, to learn of the lives and times that you know nothing of, you couldn't know, without the memory of those who were there, or those who've heard the legends before. Descriptive, yes. Insightful, yes. Each character of the three novellas will hold a place inside of you long after the duration of the read. Clare will speak to your soul and carry you away on the wings of introspection. Sunset Limited will be like opening a photo album from years past and reminiscing the adventures and feelings of your bosom buddies. Brown Dog, the scoundrel, will take you on an exciting roller coaster ride of intuition, passion,wit and wiles to prove once and for all that the underdog will prevail!( hence his continuation in the Seven Ounce Man ) As an avid reader of non-fiction I am proud to say that I have restored my faith in the realm of fiction through the works of my fellow Michigander the honorable, the mighty, the great, mister Jim Harrison. Hello from Grand Marais!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brown Dog can stand on its own, April 23 2004
This book is actually a collection of three novellas. My favorite, by far, is "Brown Dog". The main character, BD, is a man not very smart, but not too dumb, not very honest but not a bad person either. Bumming his way through life, he gets into more than one bind, and is able to tell the stories in a very self-deprecating tone that immediately endears him to the reader. This is a fantastic story, and the book is worth it just because of it.
"Sunset Limited" was OK, maybe a bit too formulaic for my taste. "The Woman lit by Fireflies" i liked the least. I simply didn't have any sympathy for the woman in question.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brown Dog is a Hero for Our Time, Dec 15 1999
I was first introduced to Jim Harrison when I took an Intro to Fiction class taught by Harrison biographer/critic Edward Reilly. The book that I read was The Woman Lit by Fireflies. "Brown Dog" is, by far, my favorite novella in the collection. He is an underdog that simply wants to live off the land and be left the hell alone. Admirable qualities in my opinion. "Sunset Limited" and the "Woman Lit by Fireflies" are also excellent, but "Brown Dog" makes me hurt from laughter.
Not the most insightful review, I'm sure. However, how can a person be critical about something he or she enjoys?

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 terrific stories - one of my all time favorite books, Aug. 29 1998
By A Customer
I loved all of the stories. I became a fan and introduced many people to his work. They also loved it and we've looked for more and more. The stories are funny, the characters are interesting, and he writes with great style. I couldn't put it down. He made me laugh and he made me think. Perfect.

The Woman Lit by Fireflies
The Woman Lit by Fireflies by Jim Harrison (Paperback - Oct. 5 2008)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00