Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Get Married: What Women Can do to Help it Happen
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$12.43+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 17, 2011
Though I knew this book was in the library, it took me a long time to actually check it out and bring it home where the title would certainly arouse the curiosity of my family. But I am SO glad that I finally did!

I have read a number of books and articles on relationships and singleness, but never one I found as encouraging or refreshing as "Get Married." Candice reminds me that it is good for me to desire marriage and challenged my former perspective on relationships - something like "if it happens, good. If not, well, there's nothing I can do about it." Not so! Waiting around for God to drop a husband in my lap is not the answer. It's time to live like I intend to marry.

This book is definitely going to find a permanent place on my shelf.
on June 20, 2010
I've seen this book pop up here and there for awhile and I decided to just relent and buy it because I was curious about what the author had to say. I was pleasantly surprised by it. I have to admit I was glad I could buy it online because there was definitely an element of embarrassment that I was buying a book that was (hopefully) going to tell me how I could help myself get married. The book even addressed this issue of how women feel embarrassed about our desire to get married, which was helpful for me.

I recommend this book because Candice makes good arguments that changed my perspective about things. She compares getting married to getting a job - you don't sit around in your room waiting for God's will in your job-search to find you, but that's how so many of us women approach getting married. "God will bring him to me and I'll just know he's The One." She applies principles from Proverbs in showing that there are things we can do but also discusses the role of God's sovereignty in the process.

I think she does a good job of stripping away our culture's influence on how women view the process of getting married and brings us closer back to reality.
on March 22, 2009
I definitely recommend this book to Christian singles, especially women, but it would be great for guys to read, too. I liked that this author used a lot of Scripture, not just opinion. This may sound silly, but I felt like this book gave me permission to really desire marriage, and to be open about it - she takes away the stigma that being open about wanting to be married is somehow wrong. One of the chapters is all about praying boldly for God to give you a husband/wife, not just this passive, "Well,if it happens it happens, and there is nothing I can do to change it one way or the other". Like any author, I don't agree 100% with everthing that she has to say, but I would definitely recommend that you at least check it out of your local library (which is what I did, and now I am buying a copy.)