4.0 out of 5 stars Applies to all types of relationships
I'm kinky, poly and queer and I found this book to be useful. Yes, it's garnished with biblical quotes and marriage elitism but the five love languages I believe can be relevant to everyone nevertheless.

Published 17 months ago by Charlaine

3.0 out of 5 stars "Helpful but Unromantic" is right.
Published on June 7 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Applies to all types of relationships, Feb. 4 2013
This review is from: The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts (Paperback)

It kind of reminds me of the Myers-Briggs personality tests - remember those? They helped us measure how social and how intro/extroverted we are, etc. Well, it's kind of like that in this book. The author gets us to explore how we prefer to be loved so that we can communicate it better to our partner(s). Are you more likely to feel loved through touch? Gifts? Acts of service? Quality time? Loving words? A combination? Which one? What does it look like for you? What about your partner/s? Here's a whole new way to have a conversation about wants and needs!

Another tool in my toolbox!

3.0 out of 5 stars "Helpful but Unromantic" is right., June 7 2004
By A Customer
I agree with the reviewer who says this book is "helpful but unromantic." I can't express it as well as that review does, but I agree that Chapman is too critical of romantic love. He is also unrealistic about the ability of any two people to create it between them, simply by choice. I read recently the book that review recommends, Solomon's Song of Love, and find, too, that it is a healthier approach to romantic love. I intend to read C.S. Lewis' The Four Loves, too, which was also recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5 Love Languages - Secret to Love that Lasts, April 5 2013
I was amazed at how much insight this book gave me into my own needs. It made me understand what my love languages are, yes I can relate to at least two. By wording my needs in a different way it makes more sense to even myself. Would certainly recommend for couples to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, March 18 2013
I think it is a must read for anybody who wants to communicate with their SO the right way. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Couples, March 15 2013
This book is a must-have for couples! It really helps you understand your partner's love language and how to fill each other's "love tank" to have a better relationship. Thank you, Gary Chapman!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. Fast transaction. Wonderful experience. Thanks!, March 14 2013
The book is very helpful and a pleasure to read. Thank you very much for this practical perspective. What is obvious to some needs to spelled out to others. This does that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving it., March 8 2013
Again, love is a lifelong endeavor. Learning how to do this is very challenging and yet very rewarding. I am giving this book away to as many as I can.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple and to the point, Feb. 26 2008
I bought this book as an additional aid to a University class that I'm taking. The message of it is very simple, and likely things that people have always noted before. I don't think that it really took a Doctor to write it. Anyone that thinks, feels, and observes their mate, can figure this stuff out. That being said, some people are oblivious, or perhaps don't realize something until it's said and the light bulb goes off.

People have different things that makes their heart tick. Each of us respond to love in different ways, and have different needs. The author boils seeing love displayed in five different ways, and when one identifies the language of love their mate speaks, then it will be easier to please them. For quite sometime I have been aware that I'm a "gift" person. I tend to give gifts to those I love, because I myself feel the most love from receiving them.

Keep in mind this book is highly Bible based. Some references are very obvious, others are going to be known only by those familiar with the Bible. Some Biblical passages are discussed by the author through the words "an ancient sage once wrote." Nearly everything quoted, including C.S Lewis, is because of their spiritual content. However, even if you aren't one for believing in the Bible, the passages used are still of value since they display common sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHats not to love-lol, May 28 2014
This is a great book for relationships. it allows a person to see through the perspective of their partner. we are not all the same and there fore what one person conveys as love is not what another may need and vice versa. this book gives you understanding and tools to accommodate your spouse/partners love language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for all relationships!!, May 24 2014
I feel that this will strengthen marriages and even work relationships. Good Read! Will recommend this to anyone in need of or want to build relationships.

The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts by Gary D Chapman (Paperback - June 1 1994)
CDN$ 16.09 CDN$ 11.91