summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 5, 2001
"Not the Way It's Supposed to Be" is an insightful, thoughtful, and engaging book. I, and no doubt millions of other Christians love Jesus because of his grace and never-ending love. How easy it would be to so focus on these aspects of God and to lose sight of why He is truly so great. Plantinga's book reminds us of the monumental problem that Jesus has saved us from--Sin. Sin is a loaded word. Many people have and still abuse it. Plantinga does not. Plantinga eloquently terms it "Vandalism of God's Shalom"--God's perfect created order. This metaphor shocked me at first, but then opened my eyes. This is a book that will challenge any reader. It is a classic.
on December 5, 2001
on December 18, 1997
This book was ranked as Christianity Today's Book of the Year for 1996, and it is well deserving of the honor. Plantinga has done a remarkable job of describing sin in all its various forms as well as its myriad of subtle dynamics and seductions.
His general thesis is that sin is a disruption of the shalom of God - anything that detracts from the way things are supposed to be. So the Christian task in counteracting the forces of sin in the world is to do whatever possible to restore shalom.
Sin may not seem like a cheery topic, but this book is truly edifying. Highly recommended.
on July 17, 1999
One of my favorites of all time. Very engaging and insightful although I have been more critical of behavoirs, motives, thoughts since reading it. I took a long time to read it and made extensive notes. Even years later I refer to them regaining important insight into my particular situation. Excellent book!!!