5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend!
Needed this for school sold for way less than at the school library! This product was very helpful for school
Published 6 months ago by Vanessa

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but EXPENSIVE !
Well, this book covers all the essentials to conducting marketing research, or at least to understanding how it is conducted! I would have given it a fourth star if the price tag had been lower.
Published on Oct. 22 2003 by Jacques Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend!, Oct. 15 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable and perfectly titled, Sept. 10 2001
Jim Grey (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Market Research Toolbox: A Concise Guide for Beginners (Paperback)
If you're dipping your toes into the waters of market research, you need this book. Its title is perfect: This really *is* a toolbox, written concisely for beginners.
I bought this book when my boss assigned me a market research task that could determine company direction. He gave me the task because of my past work with surveys and usability testing. I wasn't comfortable flying by the seat of my pants on this one -- determining company direction isn't the same as determining what people didn't like about a Help system you created or determining what does and doesn't work well in a computer program's user interface.
So I bought this book, and I'm glad I did. McQuarrie minced no words in explaining what market research is and what market research can and can't do for you. He next helped me determine the real goal for my research, and showed me what market-research tools are best suited for achieving that goal. He even told me what tools *not* to use. He did all this in the first 35 pages. The rest of the book describes the tools in the box. I only read the chapters about the tools relevant to my task. Within two hours, I had learned exactly what I needed to know for success -- no more, and no less.
I especially appreciate McQuarrie's writing style, which Strunk and White would call "vigorous." He packs a lot of information into very few words.
Take note: McQuarrie explains that his book will help you determine what tools you should use and tell you the basics of using the tool. However, he cautions that you should hire specialists to actually use the tools, because there is a lot of specialized knowledge behind successfully using each one. If you're determined to use these tools yourself, McQuarrie tells you what other books to read to get started.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but EXPENSIVE !, Oct. 22 2003
Jacques Warren (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "toolbox" guide, Dec 11 2000
This is a great book to provide a guide throughout any type of market research. I particularly found the section "Combining Research Techniques into Strategies" VERY helpful. It allows you to view a la carte what items you should be aware of when you are performing a certain type of research strategy (i.e., Market Segmentation). This is a "must have" for any type of Marketing or business professional!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good overview, April 21 2000
Eugene Koh "LA Reader" (Torrance, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Good conceptual overview. McQuarrie not only explains the distinction between exploratory and confirmatory market research; he also discusses which tools to use for each.
Tools discussed include secondary research, customer visits, focus groups, surveys, choice modeling, and experimentation. Although he doesn't provide much depth for each, he does provide a bibliography for further reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars a quick reference guide, June 28 1999
By A Customer
A quick reference guide for all projects. It can be just a memory check for experienced people but is invaluable in terms of time and effort for the beginner

ARRAY(0xafeb5d20)

The Market Research Toolbox: A Concise Guide for Beginners
The Market Research Toolbox: A Concise Guide for Beginners by Edward F. McQuarrie (Paperback - 1996)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01