5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible imagination
Published on May 10 2003 by Jorge Frid

3.0 out of 5 stars Ms. Perry needs to tighten her writing.................
Published on Jan. 3 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible imagination, May 10 2003
Jorge Frid (Mexico City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Mass Market Paperback)
Excellent story, at first when Monk found Miriam and she told him that she is innocent, but she can't tell anything because nobody will believe her and because is better if she die that telling the true, I thought that the book doesn`t worth it, but I kept reading because the book keeps you interested in the story, so I said: "OK, I am sure that at the end I will regret to finish the book but I will."
When you get to the end of the book, you will see that Miriam was right, she will be better dead that telling everybody the truth of what she saw in Lucius house, I don`t know if this story could happen to a woman, but I wish not.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't think I can take anymore, Nov. 12 2001
Diss Gusst "vljefj" (Ogden, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my first and as far as I can tell only experience with this author. She seems to have come up with a facinating plot and then proceeds to mess it up almost beyond belief.
Her main character never seems to dominate the novel. She constantly tells us how smart and formidable her heros are and then they prove her wrong by not being able to find or figure out anything. She has no sense of drama or suspense. She constantly changes the people driving the book, we go from Monk, to his wife, to Rathbone and if it doesn't fall in their lap they would never get there. One thought illustrates this point to a tee, she tells us Rathbone is the greatest barrister in the relm, then at the start of the trial she tells us Tobias defeats him as often as not, from the way it goes from there that is an understatement. Sometimes I give things a second chance but not this time thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted Root The Very Best By Far, March 14 2001
"nunpun" (Burlington, North Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Mass Market Paperback)
I would like very much to know how to let Anne Perry know how much her books have meant to me through the years! I have read them all, and while I prefer the William Monk series, I must say that her Thomas and Charlotte Pitt series are in the same category of excellence! She makes England's Victorian era absolutely "come alive" with her knowledge of the history, culture and diverse ethnic groups of the century. There are not too many books that I cannot "put aside" for at least short periods of time...but Twisted Root was not one of them....I resented ANYTHING OR ANYONE interfering with my finishing this excellent, mesmerizing book!
Miss Perry.....please write on and on and on....cannot wait for your next one!
Devotedly! Jeanne Diffee

2.0 out of 5 stars Anne Perry needs to take a break, Jan. 21 2001
Dbmsewer "Dbmsewer" (Springfield, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Hardcover)
I'm a long-time fan of Anne Perry and I especially like the Monk series, but I think it's time Ms. Perry puts away her computer and takes a bit of a vacation. Her writing has become tedious and formulaic. I knew who did it halfway through the book and the ending was predictable, mainly because any regular reader has seen it all before. She was once an excellent writer but I kept feeling that she's become lazy and doesn't care much about her art. The same adjectives appear on just about every page - She uses the words "tragedy," "courage," and "intelligence," so often they lose all meaning. Every heroine "fights against injustice" or some other over-used description. Every character is described in the same repetitive manner and the vocabulary not only doesn't vary among her novels, it doesn't vary among her characters. I barely recognized this version of Oliver Rathbone. The Rathbone of previous works would never give up on a client, must less resign himself to their guilt. The evidence that Robb used to make an arrest was laughable at best. And Perry's repeated descriptions of a chronically foot-sore Monk were annoying. I've always loved Anne Perry's work. I just wonder where one of my favorite authors has gone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ms. Perry needs to tighten her writing................., Jan. 3 2001
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Hardcover)
I have been reading Anne Perry's books since college. I especially like her series with William Monk, Hester Latterly and Oliver Rathbone. I must say, however, that The Twisted Root needed to be more tightly edited. The ending of the book seemed very loosely pulled together; it probably needed at least two to three more pages of explication to round out the last of the twists and turns presented at the very end of the book. Ms. Perry developed characters who seemed strangely isolated from the context of their work or lives. More questions than answers were raised for me. Didn't Sgt. Robb have any superiors to answer to on his first murder case, which just happened to involve a wealthy family? Why didn't we see Dr. Beck again after his assistance to Hester? Weren't any of the other nurses at the hospital worthy of Hester's attentions? I also thought some of her descriptions were redundant - of John Robb, Hester's concerns about old, abandonned soldiers. Strangely, even for a Victorian couple, the warmth between the now-married-to-each-other Monk and Hester seemed more that of good friends than a couple in love. I do look forward to the next Monk/Latterly story, but with caution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Nov. 22 2000
cynicalgirl (San Antonio, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Hardcover)
Anne Perry never fails to fascinate with her Victorian mysteries - and this Monk tale is certainly no exception to that rule. Wielding a twist that makes you shiver, this plot never feels contrived or hokey -- outcomes simply reveal themselves to be completely believable, sensible and brilliant. Read this book, and two things will happen: first, you won't want to put it down until you finish; and second, you'll spend most of your future time and money devouring more of Perry's delicious mysteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Married Monk, Sept. 26 2000
booknblueslady (Woodland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Mass Market Paperback)
The Twisted Root Anne Perry's first William Monk book after his marriage to Hester Latterly the nurse who worked in the battlefields of Crimea, explores new tensions between the leading characters. While there are not the battles between them that there were in previous novels, there still is plenty of tension. somehow they are both more vulnerable and softer now that they are a matched set.
Book is loaded with the intersting characters as in previous novels. Some you hope to see again as Cleo, and the police sergeant Robb.
Perry's mystery is not as engaging as her characters and her settings. Hospital scenes are fabulous, as are the courtroom scenes. While her mystery may be easy to solve, I would read her Monk books for the character and historical insight she provides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted Root : A William Monk Novel, Sept. 8 2000
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Mass Market Paperback)
Excellent! One of the best Anne Perry books I have read. When you think you have it figured out, finding you are wrong makes it that much more enjoyable. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Victorian Mystery!, July 23 2000
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Hardcover)
This was my first Anne Perry book and it definitely will not be my last! Perry's writing hooks you instantly and she transports you back in time to an era that is the perfect setting for this book. Her descriptions bring vivid images into your mind and you feel as if you know the characters. Perry has such a great grasp of this time period ~ you'd swear she lived in Victorian London in another life. Since I loved "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr and "Scarlet Women" by JD Christilian, I was wondering how this book would compare since the time period/theme is somewhat similar ~ well, I wasn't disappointed ~ it is a great book. If you liked the other books I just mentioned, you'll enjoy this as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anne Perry does it again, and again and again..., June 26 2000
This review is from: The Twisted Root (Hardcover)
Although I will continue to read any and all of Anne Perry's Victorian novels that come my way, I am ALWAYS ready to scream at her habit of having her characters echo themselves and each other constantly. She reiterates actions, thoughts and opinions to the point of making me cry out, "I get it, I get it." And do we really have to have numerous characters speak of another as "poor little thing" or some such stereotypical phrasing? Really...it's like the same person with different names saying THE SAME THING in the SAME tone about the SAME incidents. She also goes into much too much rehashing of plot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xad3de69c)

The Twisted Root
The Twisted Root by Anne Perry (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 5 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01