5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious
Published 5 months ago by Chris Gregory

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty funny
I didn't think this book was quite as funny as A Fine and Pleasant Misery, but I still enjoyed it. I get a kick out of reading humorous literature about the outdoors, however, I'm not really into hunting and fishing, two activities that McManus spends a lot of time on. I mostly enjoy the stories about camping, hiking, and general wilderness survival.
Published on June 5 2003 by C. Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Feb. 17 2015
Chris Gregory (Tekoa, WA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Reading and rereading this hilarious collection of hunting, fishing, camping, and small town adventures - well, it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy! With his cast of characters - true "characters" everyone; McManus creates a series of delightfully hilarious vignettes! Introduced in "Skunk Dog" we get to learn about Pat's childhood pet, Strange the Dog, one of the most memorable characters with his slovenly, almost human-like, ill-mannered attributes. Other characters making their debut include the an inept, bungling cast including Al Finley, Cousin Buck, Mary Jane Railbender, Doc Portnoy, Milt Thumbscrew, Pinto Jack, and Adolf Wrinklebunn. Lovable returning characters included Gram, Mom, The Troll, Retch Sweeney, and the unhygienic, lazy, old woodsman, Rancid Crabtree. With all those characters, Pat weaves his stories and allows each character to come alive in a subtle, matter-of-fact, but uproariously humorous manner.

Pat uses locale as a backdrop for his humor - settings like any pasture, mountain, lake, stream or wooded area of northern Idaho - in each case they add to the humor.

This book had one of the most hilarious camping diaries I've ever read in "Journal of an Expedition" which highlighted the comedy of errors: History of the Tuttle Lake Expedition Under the Command of Patrick F. McManus. It's almost like watching an "I Love Lucy" episode!

Pat McManus hits yet another homerun with They Shoot Canoes, Don't They, highly recommended for all ages!

Chris Gregory, Semper Pi Publishing director, semperpi@outlook.com, Buckshot Pie author, [...] or on Amazon at Buckshot Pie, a Family's Struggle Through Homesteading, the Great Depression, and World War II

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need to be a fisherman to get it, July 28 2000
This review is from: They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (Paperback)
I was introduced to Patrick McManus by a good friend who doubted my ability to find Field and Stream with two hands and a flashlight. Thank heaven. Not only will these stories make you laugh till milk spews out your nostrils, they'll warn you away from avoidable risks,like sharing a bike ride with a playful deer. Atlantic Monthly never taught me that, nor did the Wall Street Journal. What I find touching about his boyhood tales is the unspoken hint that his funniest outdoor adventures started with a need to find food for his widowed mother, grandmother and sister. But he doesn't whine about it, so enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pat McManus....outdoor humor champion, Sept. 21 2001
This review is from: They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (Paperback)
Ahh The legend of Pat McManus...lost person, helpless person, hopeless person. i have personally read and heard every book/audiocassette in the series, and not a single one of them has failed to split my sides with gales of laughter, without resorting to profanity or direct hostility, McManus regales us with stories about a time period that most people would have thought there was'nt anything funny about, He brings Hilarity from Horror. If your an outdoor enthusiast, or a sportsman of any type, or you just enjoy seeing the underdog win sometimes, then get this book, and hold on for the ride of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outdoor humor comparable to Keillor's "Lake Wobegone" saga, Nov. 16 1998
This review is from: They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (Paperback)
Humor that reflects some of the experiences of every outdoorsman and wanna be outdoorsman(or anyone who has spent any amout of time outdoors!). All the stories are very well written and will have you laughing until you can't read anymore. Stories are short enough to enjoy during a quick break from work. Although it's hard to read for only five minutes. This book is highly recommended and I hope everyone finds the same enjoyment in the wholes series as I did.

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty funny, June 5 2003
C. Hill (Oregon, U.S.) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars favorite author of all time, Aug. 19 2002
This review is from: They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (Paperback)
Patrick McManus is the greatest reading material I have come across in years. I found his books in my local library and have read every one three or four times. McManus tells storys that make outdoorsmen laugh because they know his hysterics are all true. I can relate to most of his humorous tales myself. A must read for all outdoor enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patrick McManus Does It Again!, June 29 2013
This review is from: They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (Paperback)
I just can't get enough of this guy. His writing style is amazing and sooo funny! You will never get tired of his literary style, and his jokes and puns are always worthy of a good sidesplittin'.

This is my third book I have purchased and I look to buy more. You just can't get tired of him at all...

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest book I have ever read!!!!!, Nov. 14 2003
This review is from: They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (Paperback)
There is one part in this book that is so funny that both my husband and I had to put the book down so we could take a breath, we were laughing so hard. It hurts your head to read this book, it's so funny. I've read almost all of his other humor books, but this one wins the prize. I don't even hunt or fish.

5.0 out of 5 stars outragusly funny, Jan. 25 2004
Brandon (Meridian, ID USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (Paperback)
This was a great book for anyone that likes fishing, hunting and or the great outdoors. I liked the book because I am one of those people. It was so funny it was hard to keep from laughing while reading it. I would recamend any of Patric McManus' books if you like a good laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS BOOK!, April 24 2000
This review is from: They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? (Paperback)
this book is so funny. i was reading it in english and almost fell out of my desk i was laughing so hard. my teacher took the book to see what i was reading, she laughed so hard she had to be excused to the restroom. this is a very good book (as are all of his)

They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? by Patrick F. McManus (Paperback - Sept. 15 1982)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.62