5.0 out of 5 stars Bread for Celiacs...it is possible!
Published on Dec 26 2008 by Calgary Book Worm

2.0 out of 5 stars INGREDIENTS: Too expensive or too sweet
Published on May 6 2000 by An ordinary being

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars INGREDIENTS: Too expensive or too sweet, May 6 2000
I have two major problems with the recipes offered in Bette Hagman's latest book: (1) The 'Garfava' flour which is the key ingredient for most of the bread recipes--at $19.95 for 5 lbs. plus shipping (from Authentic Foods)-- is too expensive for my budget. (In this book, she notes that she is starting to experiment with Quinoa & Millet flours. Why didn't she write a recipe book using these common and inexpensive alternatives to rice flour BEFORE she ventured into the garfava kingdom?) (2) The amount of sweetening (sugar, molasses) required in the non-sweet bread recipes is, for my taste & health, quite high. There is a GF recipe world out there which is waiting to be explored by someone who has Bette Hayman's adventuresome spirit (yet not her taste for expensive ingredients or her sweet tooth).

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread for Celiacs...it is possible!, Dec 26 2008
Calgary Book Worm "Jane" (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes (Paperback)
Anyone who is a Celiac will understand the frustrations of not being able to enjoy a 'straight-from-the-oven' loaf of soft, fluffy bread. Gluten free flours are by nature 'difficult and bad-tempered!' at the best of times. Bette Hagman's book gives me confidence that eventually I will be able to produce such a thing for my Husband. What I really like is the "What went wrong...?" chapters, detailing specifically what to do when your loaf has turned into another brick!! My first attempt out of the book is already 100% better than anything I've achieved so far from other books or recipes; with some fine-tuning, I'm feeling really optimistic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Redeemed itself despite lacking info, Feb. 19 2013
To preempt everything I think about this book, I need to say that I almost returned the book because it was missing some information I felt was important. I decided to try just one recipe before returning it and was hooked. There's no way I can return it now!

First, why I was ready to return it: I'm dealing with not only gluten intolerance in myself but a salicylate intolerance in my son. I'm using a lot of quinoa and garbanzo bean flour and can't use the garfava bean flour that others are complaining of being too expensive anyway. All these flours are expensive, but that's besides the point! I was annoyed to find that the book doesn't include much in the way of using quinoa flour. Hagman lists a bunch of other bread recipes that are in her other recipe books, too, and this made me feel like perhaps I'd been ripped off a bit in missing out on these other options. Here I thought I was buying the Bible of gluten-free bread recipes.

The saving grace for me was that I've learned a tad about substituting flours by weight. So my first attempt at something our household could use was to take her four-flour bread mix and substitute garbanzo bean flour by weight for what I would've used in garfava bean flour and arrowroot flour for the cornstarch with the same idea. I appreciated the info on pages 26/27 and 34/35 because I was able to ensure my substitutions were as similar as possible to the flours I was substituting for: substituting high-protein whole grains for whole grains and starches for starches. I read Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef's blog on making GF all-purpose flour mixes and had learned that a good flour mix is 40% whole-grain and 60% starch, which reflects the composition of wheat. I think this principle is reflected in Hagman's mixes.

I know people are surprised at seeing recipes require whole cups of starches, but it's because Hagman is making big batches of AP flour at once and then using portions of this mix for a recipe. Of course we have to realize that wheat is 60% starch anyway, so really we're substituting a collection of highly nutritious whole-grain flours with some starches to get the same composition we'd get with wheat anyway. You just have to accept that we would've been getting that much starch from wheat if that's what we're eating.

Now that I've warmed up to the book a bit more, I appreciate the FAQs, techniques, nutritional info, and tidbits of info on a thoroughly GF diet. I already knew the GF diet pretty well, but my knowledge of the flours and their uses has expanded hugely. The week of work it took to read through the intro and brace myself for what seemed like a complicated recipe paid off. I was dumbfounded when my first loaf rose in record time beneath an under-cupboard light and baked to perfection. Besides the substitutions, I also omitted the egg replacer and gelatin and used malt vinegar for the dough enhancer/vinegar and it still turned out amazing. I sprinkled a few whole grains and seeds on top and voila, I never need to buy bread again.

I've been convinced to make a four-flour mix to keep in the fridge and whip up a loaf whenever I need my bread fix (I was a bread-addict before realizing I was gluten-intolerant or celiac - I refuse to go back on gluten to confirm the celiac, although I do have the gene for it). This bread tastes way better than even the high-quality, starchy, gummy expensive bread I buy from the freezer at the grocery store.

I hope the book gets updated soon as it was published in 1999 and there's been tons of new info since then. For example, we need recipes with oats now!

I had my doubts, but the book more than redeemed itself. There doesn't seem to be a single comprehensive source of info for the GF diet and lifestyle (as with everything else in life), so this has taken its place on the shelf as one of a few resources to help make the GF life beautiful :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recipes and easy to follow instructions, June 12 2011
I've been using this recipe book along with a Zojirushi bread maker Zojirushi BB-CEC20BA Home Bakery Supreme, Black/Stainless and have had fantastic results.

The recipes include the instructions for baking in the oven, as well as for the bread maker, and include the ratios for 1lb, 1.5lb and 2lb loaves, so you don't have to do the math.

The recipes use a wide variety of different flours. Some people state they are hard to find...the bulk store near my house had pretty much everything I needed. I don't necessarily like that the author pushes a few particular brands of flour. I've been using a bulk garbanzo flour in lieu of the garfava flour the author talks about in a direct substitution and haven't had any problems. The recipes seem to be quite forgiving...if you mismeasure a bit of flour or water, or are getting a loaf ready quickly. I've accidentally done this a couple times and I can't tell the difference. I also don't love relying so much on corn starch for a lot of the recipes and have been using potato starch as a direct substitution...again without problems. So, although some flours and ingredients may not be available in your area, chances are you can find something that you can substitute with and still get good results. So far I've been using the starch for starch, flour for flour basis for substitutions. Sub any type of flour/starch for another, making sure not to have doubles of any one. Gluten free breads work best with a variety of flours and starches.

I haven't gone through all of the recipes, but they are quite easy to follow...and for those of you using the bread maker, be sure to follow the bread makers guide for the order ingredients are placed in the pan, and NOT the order for adding ingredients to a bowl to mix by hand.

Using this book along with a bread maker will probably pay for itself over time given how expensive commercial gluten free breads are, and how cheap bulk flours and starches are.

Something to note...the vast majority of the recipes use fresh eggs. So you cannot add the ingredients and use your timer function as the eggs will spoil. Also, egg replacer is also added to many of the ingredients. For true gluten free bread, be sure you check the ingredients of the egg replacer, as they often use gluten as the binding agent.

The Garbanzo loaf using buttermilk powder has been my mainstay...great for sandwiches, I can even eat it not toasted!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great if you can get the ingredients, Feb. 17 2002
Nicholas M Oppen (McMahons Point, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
I have read this book from cover to cover and it is useless because every recipe needs tapioca flour and I cannot get it here in Australia. I'd recommend having a look at the flour mixes on page 40 to make sure that you can get all of the basic ingredients.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, not so great ingredients, Aug. 27 2001
Allison Abbe - See all my reviews
I use recipes from this book on a weekly basis for my gluten-free son. It's definitely a worthwhile purchase for the yeast-bread recipes. My son refused to eat sandwiches made on gluten-free bread until I started using Hagman's bread recipes. I like her recipes with garfava flour the best - no gritty rice-flour texture. On the down side, the ingredients are hard to find, as other reviewers have stated. I have to mail-order the flours, and I have not tried many of the recipes because they call for ingredients I just do not keep on hand and would probably not use in other recipes, like NutQuik or almond meal. As for her non-yeast bread recipes, I have had just as much luck adapting wheat recipes myself, and a lot of these recipes are based on mixes that she provides the recipe for. I have not tried these recipes, either, because I am not willing to put my expensive flours into a large quantity of a mix that I'm not positive will turn out well. Overall, this is a very useful book, and considering the limited availability of sources for gluten-free recipes, it's a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars How The Gluten Free Gourmet Changed My Life!, July 30 2000
By A Customer
Being confirmed with Coeliac Disease was bad enough, but trying to combine it with my diabetic diet was something of a nightmare. Until it's forced upon you, you don't stop and think that things like breakfast cereals, yoghurts, certain kinds of cottage cheese etc actually contain some form of gluten and to lose bread from your diet doesn't bear thinking about
Having purchased 'The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread', I then found that over here in Britain we are not able to get the specialised flours; sorghum, garbanzo or fava, so after eight months of searching all around the UK, I contacted a supplier over in California and had it shipped over - yes it is expensive, but if you budget properly then you can make it work. Also, as it is too expensive to have shipped over via airmail or courier, it has to come via surface mail which takes about 6 - 7 weeks. But having overcome these obstacles I can honestly say that Mrs Hagman has made a huge difference to my life - and my diet - and I can now happily eat rye bread or white bread once again.
Thank you very much Mrs Hagman.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is All You Really Need!, Sept. 21 2006
This book is the best thing since sliced bread!

After searching high and low for a decent book on gluten free bread, I stumbled across this book and haven't looked back since. There are so many great receipes that are extremely easy to follow. You can't go wrong even if you are just a beginner. It also has receipes for egg free, lactose free, yeast free and many other allergy free variations.

This book is really all you need. The bread is a thousand times better than any gluten free bread that you can buy in the stores. Maybe the manufacturers should refer to Bette Hagman's receipes instead of their own!

Bette Hagman also has a 'Gluten-Free Gourmet Makes Dessert' book which is unbelievably fantastic.

With the help of Bette Hagman, suffering from Celiac Disease is no longer a reason to go without great bread, cookies, cakes and anything else you thought you would have to give up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sounding Recipes, But Check Your Pantry First!, Aug. 13 2000
For anyone newly diagnosed with Celiac disease, it doesn't take long to figure out the Bette Hagman is 1st in gluten free cookbooks. Her previous books not only contained recipes, but wonderful information for Celiacs. So I must say I was disappointed to find out that I could not try a large portion of the recipes in this book because they all contain a flour that I am unable to obtain. Bette's latest favourite flour is sorghum flour, and it is produced in the U.S. by JOWAR foods. Neither my local health food store, nor myself via their web page, have been able to get a response on ordering this flour to be shipped to a Canadian address. What recipes I have been able to try have been wonderful, but with the main section of this book based on having sorghum, I would not recommend this book unless you have access to this ingredient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable cookbook for celiacs, Feb. 22 2013
I bought this book after being fed up with the expensive and limited selection in store gluten-free breads and mediocre gluten free bread mixes available where I am. It is quite challenging to make gluten-free breads at first, especially for a novice gluten-free baker (unusual flour mixes, unforgiving moisture issues, variations in baking time, etc.), but a few mistakes and practice runs shouldn't put you off, these bread recipes are better than most of the breads I was able to buy - good tasting and hold together well without too much crumbling. She has several different bread flour mixes, not just variations all on the one theme. Many yeast bread recipes, but there are egg-free and yeast-free bread recipes, and a list of sources for g-f suppliers in back of book, and helpful hints. Also has recipes for crackers, pizza dough and sweet breads. Even with the relatively high cost of gluten-free bread supplies here, baking my own saves several dollars each loaf, so this book paid for itself pretty quickly. Personally, not a fan of the Garfava bean mix that Bette Hagman favours (tasty bread with very good bread texture, just find it much harder to digest) but she offers a selection of a alternative flour mixes, and you will find that some of the bean flour based recipes allow substitution with some of her other flour mixes. The author briefly discusses the nature of the flours (and which ones to avoid) and how they can be combined at the start of the book also. She encourages you to try new variations of her recipes, and offers variations and bread machine information. I bought the original Gluten Free Gourmet book before this, which works well as a companion book. I bought this book 5 or 6 years ago, have tried at least half of the recipes, and still use this book regularly. Most of the breads I have tried here have been quite good, and turned out. The garbanzo bean with buttermilk bread, flaxseed bread and carrot bread are frequently made favourites. It is a reasonably priced and comprehensive cook book for the novice gluten free baker, well worth trying.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›