5.0 out of 5 stars Review by physician allergic to wheat and dairy.
Published on Oct. 26 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much work!
Probably just me being lazy but...................not thrilled about having to mix up all these different flours together for bases. Also was hoping for more cooking recipes,not baking. Wasn't what I expected so have passed it on to someone who will take the time.
Published 17 months ago by scoop

5.0 out of 5 stars Review by physician allergic to wheat and dairy., Oct. 26 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Gluten-free Gourmet, Second Edition: Living Well Without Wheat (Paperback)
I have bought several cookbooks in the past 15 years for people who are allergic to wheat and/or dairy. Many of them provided many recipes for dishes that would not normally have wheat in them, which was not of great value. Bette Hagman specializes in providing recipes for those foods that are normally made with large quantities of wheat, and her recipes really work. The results are better than many similar recipes in other books that I have. I have largely gotten rid of most of my other cookbooks for those with allergies. I see from another reviewer that Ms. Hagman now has a third book out, which I will be sure and buy. I highly recommend her first two books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Primer for Celiacs, value of mixing Flours, Bread making, Nov. 12 2003
By A Customer
Whether you are just getting started and are tired of only eating potatoes, rice, meat, and vegetables, or you've been gluten-free for a while you'll like this book.
The revised edition of this book explores the "new" flours like Sorghum and Garfava. Have you bought those rotten boxed mixes with only rice flour in them, or tried to bake with JUST rice flour? This book will help you make something not only edible, but good! By using Tapioca flour, potato starch flour and others with the rice flour baking gluten free can actually be delicious! I baked rice bread many years ago (with rice flour only), and just decided I had to buy that rotten old dry, expensive stuff from the health food store. Yesterday, I tried the Tapioca Bread from this book. The flour combination makes it wonderful and tender.
This book is a great basic primer. I am happy with this author and plan to buy her other titles.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome book, Dec 18 2013
I use it every day. I share my cooking with friends who ask for the book title. Very easy to follow recipies and delicious.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much work!, Feb. 19 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars good stuff, March 22 2011
I have found some great recipes in this book, as well as really helpful information. The pastry recipes for pies are the greatest!

The Gluten-free Gourmet, Second Edition: Living Well Without Wheat