5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced
This book seems to make a pretty strong case for the use of checklists. Of course we are exposed to more and less effective uses of checklists through the course of this book, and Gawande's experience limits us primarily to the realm of surgery, although he does get us out of the operating where he can.

The key to the believability of what he proposes here is...
Published on May 7 2010 by Rodge

1.0 out of 5 stars just living from stories of other
This book is meant to make money only. It feeds with unneccesary information from the lives and examples of others. And contents more a life biography rather than good tips. The entire book could be made to 2-3 chapters of useful information instead of wasting our time with consuming other peoples life. Not much to do with check lists.
Published 10 months ago by Muhammad Saleem Pervez

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced, May 7 2010
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right (Hardcover)

The key to the believability of what he proposes here is a communication checklist and also a warning not to use checklists to do our jobs for us (i.e. don't put everything on the checklist, just key tasks that mustn't be missed or that are more frequently missed).

Of course, the challenge is in the implementation, which takes more work than making the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Checklist Manifesto, April 6 2010
Colin Redfern (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
An excellent read and opens ones eyes to how the simplest of mistakes cause the greatest problems and how easily they can be avoided:

4.0 out of 5 stars "Getting the Steps Right is Hard", Feb. 23 2013
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Atul Gawande is a physician interested in improving surgical practice. He reviews surgical cases with disastrous outcomes that could have been prevented and cites research claiming that nearly half of deaths that occur in surgery are in fact preventable. We read a detailed analysis of a drowning accident in which the young victim's life was saved against all odds. Why? Because the hospital staff had discussed and practiced the procedures to treat cold-water drowning ahead of time. They used no new knowledge; they just coordinated and communicated more effectively.

Gawande examines how human beings do things. There are two reasons we fail at complex tasks. The first is ignorance. We correct it by conducting research and building schools to increase our knowledge. The second and more common reason for failure is ineptitude--the right knowledge is available, but we do not apply it correctly. People continually forget, are distracted, or skip steps because they seem unimportant. This problem lurks below the radar; we don't recognize it, let alone try to solve it. Instead we send people off for more training to increase their knowledge.

What is needed instead is a simple way to remind people of what they know at the right time to make a difference. We have an answer, we just aren't using it. "Checklists seem to provide protection against such failures. They remind us of the minimum necessary steps and make them explicit. They not only offer the possibility of verification, but also instill a kind of discipline of higher performance."

The author examines checklists used by airline pilots, building contractors, investors and other physicians. In these professions work has become too complex for even a talented individual to perform alone. Teams of skilled experts must manage both communication and complexity to succeed. They do both with checklists. These checklists make people stop and think at "pause points" to ensure that the right things have been done. They get coworkers to bond as a team by requiring them to talk to each other. As a result, people become comfortable enough to speak up when they see a potential problem.

Chapter Six, The Checklist Factory is the instructional meat of the book, with recommendations that help us develop good checklists. There are direct guidelines about brevity and clarity. There are also process guidelines about identifying common mistakes and fine-tuning a checklist with field testing. He distinguishes between READ-DO checklists, which march novices through the tightly specified steps of rote tasks, and DO-CONFIRM checklists, which provide checkpoints for experienced professionals solving complex problems in coordinated groups. Both have their place, but DO-CONFIRM checklists have the most potential to make a difference.

There are barriers to checklist use. They have a serious user acceptance problem. Many accomplished professionals consider themselves virtuosos who don't need help from other people at all, let alone somebody else's checklist. To many others checklists seem too mundane to make a difference. The author works hard to persuade us. His own research on checklists in operating rooms finds significant drops in death rates, post-operative infections, and other outcome measures. He highlights successes at prominent hospitals to encourage wider acceptance, asks administrators to impose requirements, and calls on nurses to help change the culture of the operating room. The idea is slowly catching on.

Gawande wishes we would move more quickly. "In the money business everyone looks for an edge. If someone is doing well, people pounce like starved hyenas to find out how. Almost every idea for making even slightly more money ... gets sucked up by the giant maw almost instantly. Every idea, that is except one: checklists."

I learned some things from this book and highly recommend it. Give it at least a quick look, starting with Chapter 6. It has the potential to make you even better at what you do best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Applicable to every job ever, Feb. 20 2014
This is one of those books that everyone who has a job should read. Loved the examples and am still using it in my life a year after I read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Miss Any Details, Nov. 24 2014
This is a great book, especially for people that work in very detailed based industries. It was recommended to me to read this book by a senior engineer at a competing company. The products that we produce in our industry need to be accurate, but with the amount of detail required there is always little things missed. The solution to this problem is a checklist. Your checklist won't be perfect when you start, but it will grow and get better. Once you have a checklist, you go through it and everything on that list should be addressed.

And you don't have to use this for work related items too. I've started to develop checklists for "traveling", so I never forget anything.

I seen some complaints from people saying that this is nothing more than stories. It's true. The concept of making a checklist doesn't take up many pages, but really the point is to make the case for them. I found the examples and stories quite helpful with determining how to best write out a checklist, the situations that matter and to make better checklists.

If you end up repeatedly missing details within work and life, I recommend reading this book and start making checklists. It will really help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to do something better? This may be your answer., Jan. 21 2011
Gawande's Checklist Manifesto is one of the most helpful books I've read in the past 5 years. In very entertaining and persuasive style, he lays out how activities as complex as brain surgery can benefit from something as simple as a 5 step verbal checklist. More interesting than a simple "how to" guide, the book traces Atul's efforts to bring checklists into the Operating Rooms of the world, covering the research he did, his successes and, more importantly, his failures so that we may see how to implement this simple tool in our own lives. After reading this book, I can't see how any job couldn't benefit from a checklist in some manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner!!, Feb. 2 2011
Who knew a book about checklists could be so darn interesting?!? I bought this book because I'm a huge fan of Atul Gawande's writting but admittedly was not at all convinced on the subject matter. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and was amazed at the point he so eloquently made about the power of checklists. I am now left contemplating how I could integrate checklists in my practice of audiology. My only complaint regarding the book is that it was not long enough!! The book is now on my husband's bedside table which says alot because I don't think we've ever shared a book before!

5.0 out of 5 stars great read!, Feb. 1 2014
everyone in every field, should read this book. A great way to ensure things get done properly so that future disasters can be avoided if not eliminated..............

5.0 out of 5 stars Whatever field you operate in, this book will make a difference in how you view the importance of checklists, April 4 2013
Just read if, you'll see. There is a great lesson in there. Checklists will make significant difference in the results of whatever endeavour, not matter how simple nor complex, you undertake. If you value results, you will appreciate this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book. The whole point is to tell us ..., Aug. 19 2014
Nice book. The whole point is to tell us about his highly read NEJM publication. It's awesome when so many problems can be avoided by a single and simple idea.
Great read!

The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right
The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande (Hardcover - Dec 22 2009)
CDN$ 31.00 CDN$ 19.44