5.0 out of 5 stars Grudgingly, a classic...
Published on May 28 2003 by Clark Paull

3.0 out of 5 stars Not every child is a fan...
Published on Sept. 30 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Grudgingly, a classic..., May 28 2003
Much like the jazz song accompanying my worst nightmare, in which every band member plays something different all at the same time, seeing one of my twin daughters approach me out of the corner of my eye carrying "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" brings about a cold sweat and makes me want to reach for a tube of airplane glue and a warm lager. I originally checked this out of our local library for them in the hopes of temporarily weaning them off the glass teat world of Barney, Little People, and Kipper, but little did I realize they would take to it like flies to garbage, memorizing most of it within a few hours. Shortly thereafter, I tried to hide the book but it kept reappearing until the mere sight of it became about as welcome as Roger Clinton backstage at a Marilyn Manson concert. My selfish motives and petty complaining aside, "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" is full of colorful pictures, an easy-to-learn rhyming scheme and by its very nature is trance inducing to most kids under the age of 3. For that reason alone, it's a godsend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Book, April 5 2006
This is one of the first books we've been reading to our 6 month old son. Our son is having trouble with his vision and the Dr recommended challenging his sight every day to help the eye muscles grow strong. This book has bright, bold contrasting colours and simple illustrations that are easy to focus on. The rhythmic text keeps his attention and is great for learning lots of basics, such as colour, animals, and hearing basic language sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Animals, colors and sequences -- and so fun!, Jan. 30 2004
A. Ryan "Merribelle" (Westminster, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is another time-tested classic by author/illustrator Eric Carle. It opens asking a brown bear what he sees, and he replies, and the next page is the animal that he saw, and he is asked what he sees, and so on and so on.
As you might expect from Carle, his simple but wonderful illustrations are a big part of the appeal of this book. Each two-page layout is a colorful animal centered on a white background, and that's it. Kids will effortlessly learn colors and animal names as you read it to them, and maybe a little sequential logic. I'd say it's a great book for ages 1 through 5. (At least, my five-year-old still likes to sit in while I read it to my two-year-old).
-Andrea, aka Merribelle

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have, Feb. 15 2008
My 20 month-old boy asks me to read him this book at least a few times everyday. It's the perfect book for children who just started talking a little or are about to. It's repetitive, rhythmic, teaches them colours and names of animals and the bright, colorful pictures are sure to keep their attention. It also trains their memory as he tries to remember which animal comes in next page. A classic in our library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Kids @ Teens Read Too, Oct. 7 2009
Many parents have applauded their young child as they master the wonderful story BROWN BROWN, BROWN BEAR, WHAT DO YOU SEE? Now, Macmillan Young Listeners has taken the story one step further. This collection contains the audio book read by the actress Gwyneth Paltrow, as well as an oversized paperback copy of the famous story.

The book contains all the wonderful and simple illustrations that Eric Carle is famous for. It's the complete repetitive story of all the animals that are found, leading up to the surprising ending.

However, what this package has that previous versions of the story had been lacking is the enchanting reading of the story by Ms. Paltrow. Using her soft and flowing voice, the words that could be trying to a parent who has heard the story many, many times becomes a new and wonderful experience.

The book and CD will surely keep little ones occupied. Whether sitting on the bed or riding in the car, the repeating "what do you see" will keep them laughing and guessing for hours.

Reviewed by: Jaglvr

3.0 out of 5 stars Not every child is a fan..., Sept. 30 2003
By A Customer
I understand that Brown Bear, Brown Bear is a classic, much-loved board book, and I fully expected my daughter to love it as well. I had a copy of it waiting for her on her shelf when I brought her home, and I tried reading it to her numerous times between her first and second birthdays. However, she has simply never been very interested in it. She seems to get bored by the repetitiveness of the text, and usually just wants to skip to the last page where all the participating animals (and teacher) are identified. I have tried introducing her to other Eric Carle books as well, and she has responded to all of them in this same way (in contrast, she loves Dr. Seuss, Baby Einstein, Mem Fox, and Boynton board books). At 24 months, she is now into picture books like Olivia and Corduroy, so I think that our copy of Brown Bear, Brown Bear is destined for charity. It is a good reminder to me that not all classic books are equally loved by all children, and it may be worth ascertaining what your own child likes before making a purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Attention Getter, April 20 2001
Lanna Lucky "momoftwo" (Parker, CO United States) - See all my reviews
"Brown Bear, Brown Bear" and "Polar Bear, Polar Bear" are two of my 12-month old son's favorite books. The repetitive manner keeps him interested. He knows the rhythm and turns the pages when necessary for me. Although he cannot say the names of the animals yet, he does recognize them. He gets upset if he is looking for a certain animal, and it is not in "Brown Bear, Brown Bear", so he will go and pick up "Polar Bear, Polar Bear", and page through it until he finds the proper animal. At one time or another a certain color catches his eye, and he is only interested in that animal for awhile. At first it was the green animals, the peacock for example. Now it is the purple cat. Who knows what it will be tomorrow. But his favorite part of the book is the last page, where all of the animals are in front of him and he can point at them and I will tell him what each one is. I am positive this book will help him in animal identification real soon.
After reading the book for the eighth time in a night the animals all begin to sound the same. But, it keeps my sons interest and attention, so it is well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Your kid will love it. Will you?, June 24 2000
Ann M. Huebner (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
I have a love-hate relationship with this book. I love it because my son loves it. He is two and a half. He has loved it for a year--really loved it. Every time we go to the library he makes a bee-line for it. We sit and read it. More often than not we will attract other toddlers who will surround us and recite the text along with us. It casts some sort of spell on small children, I think. I do not own this book, however, because I HATE it. It is so repetitive that I wince as I read it. In fact, one does not read it so much as one chants it. The brown bear mantra. My son has the entire text memorized. We'll be in the grocery store or in the car and he'll start reciting it. Or I'll chant part of it and he'll chant the rest. Or we'll ad lib, inventing new animals with new colors: "Grey Mouse, Grey Mouse, What do you see?" I guess I don't really HATE this book; it's hard to hate something that gives you so much pleasure. But I'm not ready to own it yet. That said, I can't wait for my brother to have a child. He sent my son a noisy Thomas the Tank Engine book for Christmas. It beeped and whistled and hooted and basically drove me out of my mind. I intend to pay him back with "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See".

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite in my house!, Oct. 6 2003
Elizabeth (Metairie, LA) - See all my reviews
My 2.5 years old nephew, Zack, absolutely LOVES this book. He has practically memorized the whole book and sings it all the time! The book, which is filled with beautiful illustrations by Eric Carle, teaches young children the names of animals and colors. For instance, that book goes, "Brown bear, Brown bear, what do you see? I see a Red Bird looking at me. Red bird, red bird, what do you see? I see a yellow duck looking at me!" The last page has little pictures of all the animals in the book, and I use this page to ask my nephew what each picture is. He gets them all right every time! This is a fun book because of the rythm and the colorful illustrations. I recommend this book for ages 2-5. Heck, I recommend it for ages 2-100 because it is a cute little book! I highly recommend it to all parents because it is a great learning tool and a fun book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for every young child's bookshelf, July 10 2000
This was the second book (Tana Hoban's black and white book was the first) that I read to my son when he was a few months old and read it again and again. He was fascinated by the bright pictures in the book and the rhythmic language. Brown Bear brown bear, what do you see? I see a _____ looking at me... As he began to recognize animals and moo like a cow and quack like a duck, the pictures began to take shape for him and he would recognize them for what they were drawn to be. Mr. Carle writes and illustrates wonderful books. My son who is now 3, close to 4, still enjoys the book and he can now easily anticipate which animal is on the next page. I have this book in the board book style and when my son began to "read" for himself, this was one of the books he would frequently reach for. Highly, highly recommended!

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? My First Reader by Bill Martin (Hardcover - July 20 2010)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92