I haven't read a lot of autobiographies, for two reasons: 1) I expect a lot of them to be self-serving and egotistical, and 2) if they're not, they're probably too detail-intensive and dry to be entertaining. Because I've followed Rob Lowe's career since I was a teen (and very much thanks to the Vanity Fair excerpt I devoured), I was eager to read this book.

I...
Published on May 25 2011 by N. Rea

3.0 out of 5 stars Rob Lowe plays it safe
Published on May 3 2011 by V. Buttino

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, fun and good read! Ignore the reviews from people who wanted "dirt"., May 25 2011
N. Rea (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography (Hardcover)

I loved it.

If anyone says they were expecting more "dirt", don't bother with those reviews. If you are expecting "dirt", this is not the book for you. It's not tabloid trash... there is nothing mean-spirited or spiteful in this book, and Rob does not go into detail about his scandal (although it is acknowledged, humbly). It is instead exactly what the title promises: stories he's collected over the years and wants to share with his fans.

This is a light, fun and engaging read. Nothing heavy or earth-shattering. This book details Rob's career from its inception to present day, with really great anecdotes along the way about people, places and films we're all familiar with. I loved the insight and behind-the-scenes peeks into the "business of Hollywood" the book afforded, without being boastful, judgmental or resentful.

I finished it very quickly and can't wait for the next book. Hope there is one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands out among any memoirs/biographys, May 16 2011
Excellent book - flowed really well. If you loved "The Outsiders", "St. Elmo's Fire" and/or "The West Wing" - Lowe offers truth and insight into how these projects get started, the intensity of the up and coming actors who will break out in these projects and the grit of the industry in which he has spent his life. He bears witness to being a teen idol, a movie star, political supporter, writer/director, TV star and victim of the tabloid industry. I would encourage anyone who has any interest in the entertainment industry to read this book and pass it on to your friends who share your interest as well. I was suitably impressed with his writing and loved hearing his stories - in his short life he has lived many lives and reached inner peace from his demons in the loving embrace of his family.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Actor's Life, From the Inside, Feb. 21 2013
Uldis Kundrats - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When Rob Lowe was promoting STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS through a series of guest spots on television, I caught several of his appearances and was impressed with his lively presence and his articulate answers to the questions he was asked. I expected that his autobiography would be well written and revealing.

More than anything else, STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY is a cautionary tale about what a brutal grind making a success of an acting career can be. The misadventures that plagued Lowe later in his acting life and as a celebrity are addressed in the book, too, but his recounting of the enormous demands placed upon him by Francis Ford Coppola when he was casting THE OUTSIDERS is the most illuminating part of his story.

Rob Lowe's career has taken him through several periods of success, obscurity, and notoriety. He relates the peaks and valleys he has traversed from the perspective of an insider in the acting trade. It seems that Lowe's observations are strung together without a lot of deep reflection or probing thought on his part.

Fans will appreciate STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS, but others are more likely to remember Lowe's first rate acting in THE WEST WING and to hope that he sticks to what he does best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rob Lowe plays it safe, May 3 2011
V. Buttino (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
To tell you the truth, I was expecting a lot more from this book. Rob Lowe has been a star since the late 70s and I expected to hear a lot of juicy, interesting stories about his personal life, film career and political aspirations. Instead, it seemed to me as if he played it safe (sometimes alluding to certain scandals but never digging deep into them). He spent a lot of time documenting the audition process for his first major film, The Outsiders, but hardly any time at all discussing any of his other features (TV shows included).

His writing style is great but the book's flow is terrible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bio and audio by Rob Lowe, Jan. 31 2015
Pamela Hawley (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This was a very candid, truth filled book;
a most enjoyable read. Rob Lowe was very candid about his lessons learned not just about being an actor, but as a celebrity. Most admirable was his awareness about his own self growth, and, his evolution of understanding true love and closely knit families.

There is joy in reading this because he has met so many wondergul actors! He is very good about relating personal stories that give you a good idea of what the other actors are like.

He also paints a good picture of the time period in Hollywood, so a good historical read. What a time! Scott baio, Emilio Esteves, Dennis quaid, Ralph macchio, c Thomas Howe, Patrick swayze, incredible!

I would have liked to know more about Melissa Gilbert, or women who broke his heart or hard to get over. But after being so revealing, that is up to him.

Read the book, and then get audio. His voice brings a whole new light since he takes on each actir's voice if he quotes them in the book. Very riveting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stories I Only Tell My Friends, Feb. 11 2012
Well written & very interesting This man seems to know what he wanted & proceeded to get it A real family man & has tried to bring up his kids with good parenting & lots of love & attention Book tells a lot of behind the scenes what goes on behind the scenes Yes he was not perfect but straightened himself up with rebilatationon
& really got his life on a good path The stories he tell of people he has meat are interesting & not trashy A good read BTM

4.0 out of 5 stars Insight into Hollywood, July 26 2011
Good book on Hollywood and what it takes to make it there!
Lots of interesting stories (but not enough juicy details about his relationships!)

Rob Lowe's style of writing makes great story telling. During this Hollywood career he's met a lot of "stars" and managed to have a career and a life in that environment.

I would have liked to have seen more stories about his personal life though but all in all, interesting reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly wonderful!, May 7 2011
This was an incredibly honest autobiography whereby Mr.Lowe tells his life story and shares very personal details without debasing himself or others. It was a book that once I opened it, I did not want to put it down, not because it was so titillating but because it flowed so well. To this fan he has proven that not only is he a talented actor but an author as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, Jan. 1 2012
I quite enjoyed Rob Lowe's book. I like how he wrote, not trashing anyone but you could read between the lines whom he regarded highly and who he did not. It gave you an insight to the growing up in Malibu during the 70s and 80s. What it is like to be an actor during that time. He seems to be what he projects in interviews...a really nice guy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring book......., Aug. 23 2011
Nothing new about him and he doesnt let much out from his side. More detials into contracts would be nice and he just tell what he wants and not the about all the trouble and bad image he got after his "video".

Get the book out off a friend or buy it at a garage sale.

Not much there.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography
Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography by Rob Lowe (Hardcover - April 26 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.24