I haven't read a lot of autobiographies, for two reasons: 1) I expect a lot of them to be self-serving and egotistical, and 2) if they're not, they're probably too detail-intensive and dry to be entertaining. Because I've followed Rob Lowe's career since I was a teen (and very much thanks to the Vanity Fair excerpt I devoured), I was eager to read this book.

I...
Published on May 25 2011 by N. Rea

3.0 out of 5 stars Rob Lowe plays it safe
Published on May 3 2011 by V. Buttino

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Light, fun and good read! Ignore the reviews from people who wanted "dirt"., May 25 2011
N. Rea (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography (Hardcover)

I loved it.

If anyone says they were expecting more "dirt", don't bother with those reviews. If you are expecting "dirt", this is not the book for you. It's not tabloid trash... there is nothing mean-spirited or spiteful in this book, and Rob does not go into detail about his scandal (although it is acknowledged, humbly). It is instead exactly what the title promises: stories he's collected over the years and wants to share with his fans.

This is a light, fun and engaging read. Nothing heavy or earth-shattering. This book details Rob's career from its inception to present day, with really great anecdotes along the way about people, places and films we're all familiar with. I loved the insight and behind-the-scenes peeks into the "business of Hollywood" the book afforded, without being boastful, judgmental or resentful.

I finished it very quickly and can't wait for the next book. Hope there is one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands out among any memoirs/biographys, May 16 2011
Excellent book - flowed really well. If you loved "The Outsiders", "St. Elmo's Fire" and/or "The West Wing" - Lowe offers truth and insight into how these projects get started, the intensity of the up and coming actors who will break out in these projects and the grit of the industry in which he has spent his life. He bears witness to being a teen idol, a movie star, political supporter, writer/director, TV star and victim of the tabloid industry. I would encourage anyone who has any interest in the entertainment industry to read this book and pass it on to your friends who share your interest as well. I was suitably impressed with his writing and loved hearing his stories - in his short life he has lived many lives and reached inner peace from his demons in the loving embrace of his family.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Actor's Life, From the Inside, Feb. 21 2013
Uldis Kundrats - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When Rob Lowe was promoting STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS through a series of guest spots on television, I caught several of his appearances and was impressed with his lively presence and his articulate answers to the questions he was asked. I expected that his autobiography would be well written and revealing.

More than anything else, STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY is a cautionary tale about what a brutal grind making a success of an acting career can be. The misadventures that plagued Lowe later in his acting life and as a celebrity are addressed in the book, too, but his recounting of the enormous demands placed upon him by Francis Ford Coppola when he was casting THE OUTSIDERS is the most illuminating part of his story.

Rob Lowe's career has taken him through several periods of success, obscurity, and notoriety. He relates the peaks and valleys he has traversed from the perspective of an insider in the acting trade. It seems that Lowe's observations are strung together without a lot of deep reflection or probing thought on his part.

Fans will appreciate STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS, but others are more likely to remember Lowe's first rate acting in THE WEST WING and to hope that he sticks to what he does best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rob Lowe plays it safe, May 3 2011
V. Buttino (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
To tell you the truth, I was expecting a lot more from this book. Rob Lowe has been a star since the late 70s and I expected to hear a lot of juicy, interesting stories about his personal life, film career and political aspirations. Instead, it seemed to me as if he played it safe (sometimes alluding to certain scandals but never digging deep into them). He spent a lot of time documenting the audition process for his first major film, The Outsiders, but hardly any time at all discussing any of his other features (TV shows included).

His writing style is great but the book's flow is terrible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this book, April 30 2014
This was a good read. It was honest and funny and a really enjoyable read. This is a great easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and well written., March 22 2014
I have always liked Rob Lowe and now I know why. This book is entertaining (with all the name dropping) extremely funny, revealing and genuine. Rob Lowe writes his story with harsh honesty and never tries to sugar coat the poor judgement of his past. I was beyond impressed with his writing skill and story telling and was sad when I finished the book because I wanted to keep on reading. I really hope he continues writing as it appears he has been gifted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain book becomes a must-read., Jan. 3 2014
I purchased this book as one of Amazon's bargain book offerings to fill out my order for free shipping, so my expectations weren't very high. I was pleasantly surprised. This book was interesting, well written, emotional, and everything that a good book should be. I have now read this book more than once and would recommend it to lovers of biography and memoir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stories I Only Tell My Friends, Dec 8 2013
This book was a great read. An inspiring book that allows the reader inside Hollywood. I'd also recommend it to any person in recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars crazy life, Aug. 19 2013
T. Holden - See all my reviews
I didnt know much about rob lowe before purchasing this book but am glad i did, he has some great stories and has had an interesting life

4.0 out of 5 stars Stories I Only Tell My Friends, Feb. 11 2012
Well written & very interesting This man seems to know what he wanted & proceeded to get it A real family man & has tried to bring up his kids with good parenting & lots of love & attention Book tells a lot of behind the scenes what goes on behind the scenes Yes he was not perfect but straightened himself up with rebilatationon
& really got his life on a good path The stories he tell of people he has meat are interesting & not trashy A good read BTM

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography
Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography by Rob Lowe (Hardcover - April 26 2011)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.87
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available