5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!
Published on Oct. 1 2003 by K B

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much fancy Talk, Not enough Examples
Published on May 27 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much fancy Talk, Not enough Examples, May 27 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Optics (4th Edition) (Hardcover)
As an undergraduate I find this book incredibly confusing. Hecht seems to take pleasure in using fancy words and hyped up sentences when simpler statements will do. Instead of deriving equations by first starting with intuiton, then using substitution of previous results etc, he prefers to talk his way into derivations using sometimes page long reasoning. Sometimes it's Ok to let the equations speak for themselves. If this is considered the standard in optics textbooks I am afraid of opening the mess that other textbooks must be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, Oct. 1 2003
This review is from: Optics (4th Edition) (Hardcover)
I used this book in my undergraduate optics class. It was mostly self-taught and we met to ask questions and turn in homework. I found this book challenging but not impossible. The text is very well written and the end of chapter problems didn't require a Ph.D. to solve. I learned the most from any of my classes from this book (partly due to the teaching style of the professor). I highly recommend it if you want to learn optics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Theres alot in this book, July 13 2003
This review is from: Optics (4th Edition) (Hardcover)
This book contains nearly everything you could want to know about basic optics. The solved problems are great.
Most of it is well written - I found parts of some chapters confusing (as did my classmates) - however considering the complexity of the material and the amount of material included, Hecht does a great job.
It would also be good to have a list of symbols used in equations at the back of the book like some other texts have. I remember tearing throught the book looking for a definition of a symbol on more than one occasion.
Having not used another book, I can make no comparisions, but according to most people, this is the book to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Text!!!, May 8 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Optics (4th Edition) (Hardcover)
I don't think you can write a more student-orinted text on the subject. *Everything* is spelled out! All the math details (eventhough it's not hard math)are there. The fourth ed. has a wealth of problems with about half of them solved, and the other half for homework. Some of the problems are re-do's of previous ones with an obvious change, but still good for practice.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book if you're not in a hurry..., Feb. 29 2004
This review is from: Optics (4th Edition) (Hardcover)
The best thing about Hecht's book are the long and thorough discussions about every topic. This makes the book very adequate for self studying. On the other hand, it can be very incovenient if you're using to book to study for your exams (as I did). So I do recomend Hecht as a first reading in Optics, but be sure that you're not in a hurry...

3.0 out of 5 stars Loooong...., Dec 12 2001
This review is from: Optics (4th Edition) (Hardcover)
A nice book that covers a lot of material, but it is rather elementary (and far too long). For those physicists that know some mathematics (and that should include all of you), a much better, more concise alternative is Bekefi and Barret's "Electromagnetic Vibrations, Waves, and Radiation."

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best in optics, Jan. 29 2003
GUGLHUPF "guglhupf2" (CUPERTINO, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Hi:
During my study ( I do have a master in Phyyics ) I bought a ton of books. Eugen Hechts Optics is one I read front to back and understood every single concept in it. I was always pretty bad in my courses only Hecht helped me to an A. This is the book to read for linear Optics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to Optics!, Dec 27 2002
Zosia A. C. Krusberg "scoshy" (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Optics (4th Edition) (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful introduction to the field of optics for an undergraduate with some background in physics and vector calculus (ideally a student at least in his or her sophomore year). The book has been said to be somewhat on the longer side, but because of the organization of the book it is easy to skip a couple of chapters that may be better covered in labs (e.g. geometrical optics and modern optics). Hecht has a clear style, outlines the required vector calculus and the wave equation in early chapters, which prepares the student for the rest of the book. Great stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Introductory Optics Book I've Seen, March 19 2002
S. Bank (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Optics (4th Edition) (Hardcover)
Hecht is a master of explanation and he treats virtually every aspect of optics in this book. You can do no better for physical insight. For worked problems, I recommend getting the Schaum's Outline by Hecht ... They compliment each other quite nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars its a book, Dec 30 2011
This review is from: Optics (4th Edition) (Hardcover)
its a book and it was for school. HOw could i complain about it. It came in great condition for being used.

Optics (4th Edition)
Optics (4th Edition) by Eugene Hecht (Hardcover - Aug. 2 2001)
CDN$ 198.00 CDN$ 164.67