5.0 out of 5 stars The next to last book I would get rid of.
This is a great book. It'll save you about a thousand bucks by showing you how to do exercises with simple hand weights as opposed to expensive machines. I would get rid of all other books I own save my bible before getting rid of this.
Published on March 14 2004 by Nicholas Feliccia

3.0 out of 5 stars Very basic.......outdated appearence.
Published on Dec 16 1999 by Kim

4.0 out of 5 stars Work Outs with Weights, April 29 2006
This review is from: Workouts With Weights: Simple Routines You Can Do at Home (Paperback)
I had the opportunity to be trained by the author Stephanie Karony in Maui Hawaii 1994. Stephanie was my personal trainer through out my eight week program. The book is very useful by showing you basic stregnth training and flexibiity exercises that set up the conditions for your body to respond which will help you achieve your fitness goals. Don't let the 70's style pictures deter you. This book is a must for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars The next to last book I would get rid of., March 14 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the title says...and more!, Jan. 28 2004
First let me say that I am very particular about the books that I aquire, and try finding authors that present the "real deal".
That said, I think this book is great! I have perhaps a bad habit of exchanging books that I do not find usefull. This is the first book I have purchased on the subject of weight training, and I am completely happy. First, it has great info on weight training in general. Goals, saftey, nutrition. Just enough to get you started. No preaching either, just encouragement. These first few chapters are followed by some warm-ups and stetching excercises. I also really love the routines they have set in the back. There are several, and they are progressive and could keep you going for months at least, while building up strenth. This book is written from a more gentle perspective, no jocks or jarheads here. I do agree with the reviewer about the pictures. They serve their purpose quite well, but when I saw the publishing date was in the early ninties I had to check to see if I was reading correctly. They all look straight out the seventies. But again, this book is more about doing than glamor and show. Great book for those who want a good workout from home with almost no equiptment at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, Sept. 13 2002
By A Customer
This book is great for beginners and for those who have been working out for awhile. Very easy to understand routines, safety tips, stretches and warm-ups. When I first discovered this book I had not worked out with weights at all. I felt challenged initially, yet the different programs the authors have worked out make the workouts fun, and definiteley not boring. I loved the pre-set routines when I first started, yet I ultimately customized my own to make it work even better for me. I recommend this book highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, Feb. 16 2001
By A Customer
I was looking to get in better shape for some of the sports that I do (racing sailboats being my main concern), and did not know the first thing about strength training. This book really set me on the right path, with lots of good information about how to do this safely and efficiently. I am about the farthest thing from a bodybuilder, but since I have been following their programs, I feel healthy and strong. All those little aches and pains from computer work have disappeared, and my knees don't click so much when I do stairs or exercise bikes. I do the workouts while I watch TV in the evenings, so I don't have to go out to a health club ... and I get the entertainment value as well. Kudos to the authors for providing such a great service!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great little book!, Aug. 1 2000
By A Customer
I have been using this book as my training guide for several months now. It has a practical and no-nonsense approach. Since I bought this book and started using it, I have been reading other weight-lifting/strength-training books and so far have found the lessons/advice in this book to be extremely sound. If strength training (and not weight lifting) is your goal and you want to take the do-it-yourself approach, you won't go wrong with this book. You won't need a lot of equipment, either. A few free weights will do the trick.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very basic.......outdated appearence., Dec 16 1999
Kim (South, USA) - See all my reviews
I just received this book in the mail yesterday, and was somewhat disappointed. The cover of the book is misleading compared to the pictures inside. The cover looks pretty up-to-date, but the people in the book who illustrate the exercises look like flashbacks from the '70's with headbands, permed hair, full body leotards, etc. They look like the "before" pictures of people who need to work out. Not that that matters, but it is not as motivating to me. The exercises are ok, but basic (I didn't learn anything new). If you are a beginner who doesn't need motivation, then you might get some use out of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for starters, has the basics., July 27 1999
By A Customer
If you want to train in the privacy of your home and need information as to the basics of weight training, then this is the book. It contains easy to follow instructions as to the various free weight exercises. It also contains several routines with various levels of difficulty. It is also a good reference for experienced body builders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best free weight workout I've seen on the bookshelves., Jan. 5 1999
By A Customer
Complete and easy guide to establish objectives and create a safe, effective program. Defined programs at the back of the book are excellent for entire body workouts and make implementation easy. I used it the same day I bought it and have continued for years. I recommend it often and always hear positive feedback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-sexist presentation of both women and men., Dec 11 1996
By A Customer
I originally bought this book because I was looking
for a book with the basics of using hand-held weights which
depicted women and men together in a straight forward,
healthy way. These are ordinary people demonstrating
the moves.

In other words, I'd seen enough gorgeous models staring at
me from books and videos selling sex as much as practical
information about exercising.

Easy to use and I give it to a lot of women friends and my
sisters. As an aside, this book is saving my life as it
coincided with the moment in my life when I started an
exercise routine and stuck with it for 3 years now. (Maybe
it was the book?)

I actually mainly use the warm-ups and stretches chapters
as the mainstay of my routine. I have a big gym at the
university and use that equipment rather than the hand
weights. But I have used the weights chapters and they are
easy to follow.

Workouts With Weights: Simple Routines You Can Do at Home
Workouts With Weights: Simple Routines You Can Do at Home by Anthony Rankin (Paperback - June 30 1993)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01