5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Sensical, and Sensational!
Published on Sept. 5 2000 by Bill Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars Use like a reference book
Nice book to use like a reference flicking through the pages. Wonderful author - spreading the spiritual way - always good!
Published 2 months ago by gail west

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Sensical, and Sensational!, Sept. 5 2000
I remember when I was a student at the Dharmadhatu Center of Los Angeles. The rules were to simply meditate and that was it! The same with Hindu Yoga. The same with all Eastern paths. Then I stumbled on this book. It was wonderful. Did you know that you can put in as little as 10 minutes a day of sitting meditation and then apply this mindfulness of breath to "washing the dishes"? Later, apply mindfulness (being aware) to taking a bath. To eating. Well, you will meditate now for 1 hour a day. In fact, Buddhist Masters state that minfulness in daily life is more important than the actual sitting meditation! Buy this book and become a 16-hour a day meditator. Doing "TV meditation", "conversation meditation", "telephone meditation", "cooking meditation". you name it. Nhat Hanh gives a variety of sitting meditations. Pick the one that feels right. Then do the meditation in daily life. Right now, I am doing "write a review meditation". I wasn't at first. But I am presently. The feel of everything that is happening in the present. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide for the beginning (or not beginning) meditator, March 29 2003
Paula (Milwaukee, WI, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation (Paperback)
Thay's writings often seem so simple as to be simplistic or childish, but spend a little quality time with this book (or any of his huge output) and you'll realize that, like other great spiritual teachers, his words have a profoundly life-changing quality. In this classic text, he explains in simple poetic language the basics of meditation practice; what to do, what to expect, and why it's an important and meaningful practice. The operative word in Thay's teaching is PRACTICE, and he really does mean "practice" as if you were learning to play the piano or to play tennis. If absorbed and worked at every day, preferrably in the context of daily meditation as well as the normal interactions of daily life, these teachings have the power to create peace and joy for you and those with whom you live and work. This is the beauty of Buddhist teaching in general and the teachings of TNH in particular: they are not complex theological constructs but simple, practical steps designed to make you happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Miracle of Mindlessness, Feb. 10 2001
James Altucher "James Altucher" (NYC, NY United States) - See all my reviews
In the past year my marriage has had problems, I've lost tons of money and I've had a non-stop cold/toothache. I was the reverse of mindfullness. Everywhere I looked I saw people who were smiling and I couldn't understand what inner resources they had that would allow them to do it. I started to meditate but it was difficult. I dubbed myself 'the worse meditator'. I couldn't focus at all. I was constantly adding up the numbers in my various accounts and trying to figure to figure out how get above zero. This book was incredible for me. It put new light in the definition of 'practice'. Meditation is just practice for post-meditation. Suddenly, everything became a meditation. Watching tv. Driving a car. Typing on the computer. Writing an amazon review. I'm still pretty crappy at meditating. But now I'm having more fun doing everything else thanks to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible Mindfulness for Anyone, April 30 2001
Missing in Action (Idaho Falls, Idaho USA) - See all my reviews
This little treatise is nothing less than a handbook for more effective, more joyful living. Thich Nhat Hanh has a beautifully simple, wonderfully direct manner of communicating the need to live mindfully, and using the practice of meditation as a means for becoming more mindful. Living in exile in Paris, this humble Vietnamese monk has worked tirelessly for decades, living his religion of compassion for the poor and orphaned in his native Vietnam. He is a living testament to the power of mindful living.
In addition to being a treat for your mind, Thich Nhat Hanh provides a number of exercises that help the student of meditation begin the process of focusing and concentrating on the moment at hand. It is a book that will be especially of value to those who are just beginning to meditate, (which is where I find myself), though I expect that as with most things written by wise people, the experienced student of meditation will find much of value as well.
This is not a book about Buddhism. It draws very heavily on the path to enlightenment that the Buddha taught as his fourth Noble Truth, but this book is first and foremost about mindful living. In that sense, it is completely accessible to the Christian, Jewish, agnostic or anyone else who recognizes the power of meditation in acheiving a degree of personal enlightenment. Thich Nhat Hanh has written extensively on the relationship between the principles taught by the Buddha and Jesus, and he is ever mindful of the needs of his Christian/Western audience as well as that of his Buddhist audience. Regardless of your religious orientation, you will find this little book to be an effective guide to living mindfully, completely and with joy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Use like a reference book, Feb. 13 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindlessness, mindfulness, or silent conscious awareness here now?, Feb. 10 2009
Language is just external symbols of inner symbols that are quite clear only to "Those Few Who Know"? Mindfulness can be a confusing general term, misinterpreted by many. Mind is generally reactionary thoughts, shored up by the same types of emotions. "Jabberwocky" is the best term for most of what goes on in "mind" and many many people complain that they cannot stop thought or control mind. That is "mind-ful-ness" in terms of the psychological "I", or personality. What Hanh provides, despite the use of common language always open to misunderstanding, is "silent conscious awareness here now," which in reality would relate more to "mindlessness", but that word has a very different social connotation. This is a priceless book, but as with anything you delve into, maintain the clarity of purpose and meaning, even if it means translating from English into English, to comprehend in your own terms. Buy it. Read it. Live it!

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, but audio version is not read by author, June 2 2002
By A Customer
If you've heard Thay's warm and thoughtful voice in tapes such as "The Art of Mindful Living" (essential), "Teachings in Love", and "Being Peace", you might find some of the beauty of the written book is lost in the audio version of "The Miracle of Mindfulness", as it is not read by Thich Nhat Hanh. If this is your first introduction to his work, and you haven't yet purchased the audio version of "The Art of Mindful Living", that might be your first selection. In books, "Peace is Every Step" is outstanding as a first choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaving revelation., April 12 2002
David D. Williams (Delhi, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This book was revolutionary for me. It was one of the most influential if not the most influential book in my life. It very easily explains a deeply fulfilling way of living which is just the opposite of what we are used to in the United States. It simply teaches us a way to live that is deep and meaningful and offers us an alternative to the unsatisfying lifestyles of our culture. It tells us truths we find unbelievable--that all one could ever want is right here, right now. There is nothing that needs to be attained, and nothing that can be lost. It shows us how to live these truths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful... especially for the beginning Buddhist, Dec 30 2001
J. Holmes "heckyeah" (New York USA) - See all my reviews
This book shows you how simple it is to live in the moment if you really want to. It takes the mystery away from meditation. This is a book that you read over and over again. I don't want to give the impression that this book is ONLY for beginners. This book helps flesh out the basics of mindfulness that are necessary to keep with you always. I highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, June 22 2001
By A Customer
A total disappointment. This book just tells you you have to be mindful of what you are doing, with little detials showing you how to achieve the mindfulness. A complete waste of money.
That said I have to say that I am quite impressed by some of the other books written by the author.

ARRAY(0xb4cb63fc)